Are you studying the water cycle? Spring and summer are a great time to study this topic because it rains so much, at least where we live. This is an important STEM topic to study for kids of all ages. We made a Lego Water Cycle to help kids visualize what we learned. We’ve made other water cycle crafts and my kids all loved them, but turning it into a lego activity for kids may have taken the cake! You’ve got to try this water cycle model that is fun AND educational too! This is a fun water cycle project for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too.
Lego Water Cycle
Make learning abou the water cycle for kids fun and engaging with this clever Lego Water Cycle project that will allow kids to reinforce what they learned by recreating the water cycle for children using lego bricks! We love fun lego activities for kids that make learning fun! Use these water cycle project ideas with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students with earth science! This is also a fun way to teach the water cycle for preschool using a semi 3d water cycle.
So what is the water cycle? The water cycle describes the how water moves on, in, and above the Earth. Our planet’s water is always in movement and is always changing states, from liquid to vapor to ice and back again.
Water Cycle Model
One thing I want to clarify is that you do NOT need any specific LEGOs to do this activity. There are a ton of LEGO tutorials online that require a certain number of this size and a certain number of this color. Those are wonderful and we love using them, but it can be frustrating if you don’t have the right LEGOs. This activity does not require anything. Use what you have. I legitimately grabbed a random bin of LEGOs and we did with what we had.
All you need are a variety of lego bricks in assorted colors, we used:
- grey mat
- blue lego for water
- green lego for land
- blue lego for rain
Water cycle project
We started with a grey mat. If you have a different color, that is okay too! The first thing that we added was green to one side. This represents the land. Meaning trees, plants, etc. We added was water. This represents any body of water like lakes, ocean, pond, etc.
Step 1 – Evaporation
The first step of the water cycle is evaporation. Evaporation is when the sun heats up water in rivers or lakes or the ocean and turns it into vapour or steam. The water vapour or steam leaves the river, lake or ocean and goes into the air.
Step 2 – Condensation
Condensation is the 2nd step in the life cycle of water. Through condensation the surface air is heated and begins to rise taking with it water vapours (from the evaporation stage). As the air gets cold and changes back into a liquid it forms clouds.
Step 3 – Precipitation
Precipitation occurs when so much water has condensed that the air and cannot hold it anymore. The clouds get heavy and water falls back to the earth in the form of rain, hail, sleet or snow.
Step 4 – Collection
A lot of the Earth’s water does not take part in the water cycle very often. Much of it is stored. The Earth stores water in a number of places. The ocean is the largest storage of water. Around 96% of the Earth’s water is stored in the ocean. We can’t drink the salty ocean water, so fortunately for us, freshwater is also stored in lakes, glaciers, snow caps, rivers, and below the ground in groundwater storage.
Water Cycle Project Ideas
As you can see in our 3d model of water cycle, it is a cluster of different shapes, sizes and even shades of the color. It may not be conformed but I think it looks extra cooo like that!
The water cycle is important because it is the way in which water meets plants, animals and people! Not only does it provide living things with water, it also keep unwanted things out of the aquatic ecosystems.
3d water cycle
This water cycle 3d model is only a fantastic tool for teaching kids the cycle but it’s beneficial for fine motor skills, color recognition, creativity and more!
Weather Activities for Kids
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Season Wheel Printable
- EPIC Lego Water Cycle Model for Kids
- Large Printable Weather Unit for kids
- Cloud for Kids
- Hibernation preschool activities learning about weather
- Printable Water Cycle Book for Kids
- Severe Storms for Kids – includes tornado in a bottle, what to do in an emergency, and storm worksheets for kids
- How to Make a Weather Vane – easy weather science project for elementary age students
- Lots of fun ideas for a weather theme this week
- Clever Rain Craft for kids to make
- Simple Air Pressure Experiments for kids
- Lots of weather printables to help kids learn about weather terms whil epracticing math and literacy skills
- HUGE Free Printable Weather Unit for lower elementary age children – activities, weather worksheets, and more
- Plus don’t miss these fun water cycle activities for kids!
Looking for more free lego printables for kids of all ages? Try these resources
- ⭐ READER FAVORTE – Lego Letters Alphabet Mats to build and trace letters from A-Z
- Trace Lego Numbers using bricks with these free printable duplo mats
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Under the Sea Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Multiplication Games Printable with Lego
- Lego Multiplication Flash cards printable
- Tons of Lego themed printable spelling test for kids
- Learn the books of the Bible with this hands-on Lego Bible activity for kids
- Back to School Lego Challenge Ideas
- Free Printable Halloween Lego Challenge
- Lego Alphabet Cards
- Lego All About Me Worksheets
- Free Lego Printables Activities for Kids Poster
- Use these Free Printable Lego Challenge Cards to learn about famous landmarks from around the world as they use their creativity to recreate these famous buildings from the Taj Mahal to the Eiffel Tower and 24 more.
- EASY Lego Balloon Car project for kids
- Journaling with Lego is a fun Lego writing prompts
- Squishy Circuits Lego Science Expeirments
- Kids will love making their own maze activity. If you use duplo blocks use a ping pong ball, if you use lego bricks use a marble.
- Hands-on Lego Spelling Game
- 100 Ideas for Learning with Lego Activities
- This simple-to-make Lego Zipline is great for teaching kids a variety of skills and having an EPIC afternoon.
- Lego Water Wheel Project
Looking for more fun pasta projects you can make with your colored pasta? Try these
- Cute Pasta Animal Crafts for Kids with free printable templates
- How to Dye Pasta the quick and easy way!
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Mosaic Pasta Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion Pasta Craft for Preschoolers
- Cute Bowtie Pasta Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Lacing Flower Craft Printable mothers day cards to color pdf
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Gorgeous Butterfly Shaving Cream Craft
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- Easy Plastic Bottle Bird Feeder Craft
- Shape Man Shape Craft for Preschoolers
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids