Make learning about the solar system for kids FUN my making your own solar system project! This fun, inespensive solar system for kids is made of YARN! Children of all ages from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders will enjoy making. This 3d solar system project is easy to make and an inexpensive way to make a solar system model that will leave an impression on kids! Use this as you study planets for kids, a solar system unit, a school project, or science fair projects kids will love! Don’t forget to grab the free solar system printables to help students working on the solar system for kids project.
Solar System Project
Looking for an easy solar system project that is unique, fun-to-make and thrifty too? This solar system project uses inexpensive, colorful yarn to make each of the planets in our solar system. Preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students will have fun making large DIY pompom planets to represent Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. This is a great, hands-on solar system project for kids as they begin learning about the planets in our solar system with a solar system for kids lesson! Use the cool planet project to decorate your classroom, homeschool room, or playroom as you sneak in some summer learning!
Solar system for kids project
Making your own Solar System is the best way to kick off a solar system unit. We decided to make this Yarn Solar System Project, but here are 18 creative solar system projects to pick from. No matter what project you pick, kids will learn:
- Names of the Planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune
- Order of the planets
- Where & what the asteroid belt is
- Planets orbit the sun
- Moons / Dwarf Planets
Solar System for Kids
To make this 3d solar system model you will want to download the free planets mini book and get the following yarn:
- Mercury – light grey
- Venus – medium orange
- Earth – llight blue / light green
- Mars – mauve
- Jupiter – dark orange, brown, and white/cream
- Saturn – sunflower yellow and light orange
- Uranus – cobalt blue and light blue or cream
- Neptune – royal blue
Hint: For planets with more than one color you will wrap the yarn at the same time.
3d solar system project
Now, one by one you will wrap the yarn loosely around books of various sizes. The kids loved this part! Here is what we used:
- Mini baby board books for: Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars
- Large Atlas for: Jupiter and Saturn
- Chapter Book (like magic tree house size) for Uranus and Neptune
Solar system model for school project
Once you have about 1” in girth for the smaller planets and 1-2” thickness for the larger planets, carefully slide the yarn off the book.
Note: It goes quickly, but you will use lots of yarn for the larger planets.
Easy solar system project
Solar system planets project
Using scissors cut the center of both loops to create a large pom pom planet.
Continue until you’ve made all the 8 inner and outer planets. We also made the asteroid belt out of squished up black/grey construction paper. We choose not to do Pluto which has now been classified as one of the dwarf planets.
DIY Solar system project
For Saturn, we added some construction paper cut into an oval with the center cut out and slid it over the planet.
3rd grade solar system project
We hung the planets from our ceiling. It was fun for the kids to practice figuring out which one was which and look at them to learn their names and positions in the universe.
Hint: You will want to use a thumbtack to hang the larger, heavier, outer planets.
Solar System Activities
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun for Kids
- Moon for Kids & Astronauts Too
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars)
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars
- Yarn Solar System
- Paint Stick Solar System Project
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on constellation activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Project
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Crafts & Activities for Kids collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of Free Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Solar system worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Solar System Colouring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Constellation Worksheets with 5 different activitites to learn about 28 star patterns
- Printable Constellations Book for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Printable
- Free Constellation Flashcards
- Moon Phases Worksheets
- Planets Printable Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon