If you are learning about simple machines for kids and looking for some fun,hands-on STEM activities for kids, you are going to love these simple machine projects. With over 30 creative simple machine activities, we will show you how to make a simple machine as you learn about the 6 simple machines: inclined planes, wheel & axel, wedges, levers, pulley, and screws. We have simple machines project ideas for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students.
Simple machines for kids
Are your elementary age students learning about simle machines for kids? If so the best way to learn is to do; try making some simple machine projects to see how helpful simple machines are in action! Using these simple machines projects you can learn about simple machines like inclined planes, wheel & axel, wedges, levers, pulley, and screws with these fun science experiments for kids. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love that these simple machines experients are created making simple machines with household items! So keep scrolling, pick a DIY simple machines to try, and get working on simple machines at home with your preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students!
Simple Machine Projects
Ready to make a simple machine project? We have so many fun simple machines projects ideas using simple items from around your house or classroom.
- Archimedes Screw Exploration from High Hill Education is a simple project using a plastic bottle that showcases how this invention made hundreds of years ago was able to move material.
- Kids will get a kick out of moving toys from downstairs to upstairs using this Banister Pulley from Hands on As We Grow
- Kids are sure to be impressed by this working elevator model that explores pulleys from How to Adult
- Let your kids imaginations run wild as they make their own Button Wheel & Axel Cars from Almost Unschoolers
- This Corn Pulley from Play at Home Mom LLC is just what your preschooler needs in their sandbox to make simple machines come alive
- Pulley Experiment for Kids from 123 Homeschool 4 Me uses common household items like cans to make a fun-to-try simple machine
- No time to make your own simple machine, no worries! Do what Exploring Forces & Motion from A Day in First Grade did
- Simple machines and art collide in this fun Inclined Planes Art from Strong Start
- Explore the usefulness of Inclined Planes in this “Egg”speriment from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
Simple machines at home
Kids will have fun designing and testing out their simple machines activities they create:
- Launching Snowman from Buggy & Buddy is such a cute activity to help kids explore levers in a super creative way!
- What can simple machines make? Take a peak with this Make a Crane from At Home with Ali
- Wheel and Axle Project using plates from Sciencing is a fun, simple to make project with items you probably have laying around your house.
- Simple and to the point Movable Pulley with Paper Clips from Carrots are Orange
- Nails vs. Screws from 123 Homeschool 4 Me gives an explanation and practical hands on activities kids can do to explore the why we use screws instead of nails
- Nuts, Bults & Screw Sculptures from Preschool Powol Packets is less about learning and more about discover and observation
- Paper Towel Roll Catapult from Kids Activities Blog is a mega size project showcasing the lever
- This epic PVC Pipe Pulley from Little Bins for Little Hands is big in size, not in cost or difficulty to make!
- Rolling Pin Pulley from Kids Activities Blog shows us that you don’t need anything fancy to make simple machines work
- Tissue Box Catapult from Premeditated Leftovers is a fun twist on the typical lever project you’ve seen
- Using Marbles to Experiment with Forces from Inclined Planes from The Techy Teacher turns discovering inclined planes into a game. Ready. Set. Learn!
- What’s the Big Deal with a Fulcrum? from Ozark Ramblings is a simple, no frills look at a lever.
Making Simple Machines with Household Items
These simple machine experiments are truly the best for exploring and learning while having FUN and creating something amazing!
- This DIY Muscle Machine from KiwiCo is a fascinating project using pulleys.
- I Spy Simple Machines from 123 Homeschool 4 Me is a free printable that not only teaches about simple machines, but gives instructions for a fun simple machines scavenger hunt too!
- Bubble Machine Blower Machine from Teach Beside Me – this is such a fun idea kids will get excited about that explores the wheel simple machine
- Lego Zipline from Little Bins for Little Hands is such a cool project to explore pulleys with kids
- This easy to make pulley and lever board from Inspiration Labratories is the perfect introductory project to do indoors with kids of all ages!
- Levers have never been more fun than when you create one out of recycled materials like The OT Toolbox
- DIY Craft Stick Catapult is a fun-to-try activity learning about levers from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Make science come alive for kids with this Straw Roller coaster from Frugal Fun 4 Boys that explores inclined planes with kids!
- Dive into history with this Ancient Civilization Irrigation Model that explores several simple machines from Teach Student Savvy
How to make a simple machine
With over 30 creative, fun, and unique ideas for teaching simple machines for kids you are bound to find the perfect project for your target audience. These are fun activiteis for kids in social isolation as you can make simple machines around the house .Your hardest choice is which one of these science projects to try first!
Simple Machines Worksheet
- Inclined Plane Simple Machine – explanation, activities, and resources
- Wheel and Axle for kids lesson with projects and other fun ideas
- Gears Simple Machines for Kids filled with lots of hands on activities
- Wedges and Screws Simple Machines Lesson for children
- Levers and Pulleys lesson for students
- Free Simple Machine Worksheets
- I Spy simple machines for kids
- MATCH – Simple Machines Game
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Projects
- Free Simple Machines Booklet
- Candy Simple Machines Project
- Pulley Experiment from recycled materials
Fun Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!
- Money Math Games – lots of fun, clever, and FREE money games and activities for kids.
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!