If you are looking for some fun STEM activities for kids of all ages you are going to love these hands on Simple Machine Projects for Kids! Kids will learn about the 6 simple machines: inclined planes, wheel & axel, wedges, levers, pulley, and screws.
Last year we learned about simple machines with a really fun, hands on 5 week Simple Machines Unit.
- Inclined Planes
- Wheels & Axel
- Wedges & Screws
- Levers & Pulleys
- I Spy Simple Machines Book
- Simple Machines Mini Book
- Fun Simple Machines Game
It was so much fun that we wanted to follow up our study with some review activities. Learn about simple machines like inclined planes, wheel & axel, wedges, levers, pulley, and screws with these fun science experiments for kids.
Simple Machine Projects
- Archimedes Screw Exploration from High Hill Education is a simple project using a plastic bottle that showcases how this invention made hundreds of years ago was able to move material.
- Kids will get a kick out of moving toys from downstairs to upstairs using this Banister Pulley from Hands on As We Grow
- Kids are sure to be impressed by this working elevator model that explores pulleys from How to Adult
- Let your kids imaginations run wild as they make their own Button Wheel & Axel Cars from Almost Unschoolers
- This Corn Pulley from Play at Home Mom LLC is just what your preschooler needs in their sandbox to make simple machines come alive
- Pulley Experiment for Kids from 123 Homeschool 4 Me uses common household items like cans to make a fun-to-try simple machine
- No time to make your own simple machine, no worries! Do what Exploring Forces & Motion from A Day in First Grade did
- Simple machines and art collide in this fun Inclined Planes Art from Strong Start
- Explore the usefulness of Inclined Planes in this “Egg”speriment from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
Simple Machines for Kids
- Launching Snowman from Buggy & Buddy is such a cute activity to help kids explore levers in a super creative way!
- What can simple machines make? Take a peak with this Make a Crane from At Home with Ali
- Wheel and Axle Project using plates from Sciencing is a fun, simple to make project with items you probably have laying around your house.
- Simple and to the point Movable Pulley with Paper Clips from Carrots are Orange
- Nails vs. Screws from 123 Homeschool 4 Me gives an explanation and practical hands on activities kids can do to explore the why we use screws instead of nails
- Nuts, Bults & Screw Sculptures from Preschool Powol Packets is less about learning and more about discover and observation
- Paper Towel Roll Catapult from Kids Activities Blog is a mega size project showcasing the lever
- This epic PVC Pipe Pulley from Little Bins for Little Hands is big in size, not in cost or difficulty to make!
- Rolling Pin Pulley from Kids Activities Blog shows us that you don’t need anything fancy to make simple machines work
- Tissue Box Catapult from Premeditated Leftovers is a fun twist on the typical lever project you’ve seen
- Using Marbles to Experiment with Forces from Inclined Planes from The Techy Teacher turns discovering inclined planes into a game. Ready. Set. Learn!
- What’s the Big Deal with a Fulcrum? from Ozark Ramblings is a simple, no frills look at a lever.
Six Simple Machines
- This DIY Muscle Machine from KiwiCo is a fascinating project using pulleys.
- I Spy Simple Machines from 123 Homeschool 4 Me is a free printable that not only teaches about simple machines, but gives instructions for a fun simple machines scavenger hunt too!
- Bubble Machine Blower Machine from Teach Beside Me – this is such a fun idea kids will get excited about that explores the wheel simple machine
- Lego Zipline from Little Bins for Little Hands is such a cool project to explore pulleys with kids
- This easy to make pulley and lever board from Inspiration Labratories is the perfect introductory project to do indoors with kids of all ages!
- Levers have never been more fun than when you create one out of recycled materials like The OT Toolbox
- DIY Craft Stick Catapult is a fun-to-try activity learning about levers from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Make science come alive for kids with this Straw Roller coaster from Frugal Fun 4 Boys that explores inclined planes with kids!
- Dive into history with this Ancient Civilization Irrigation Model that explores several simple machines from Teach Student Savvy
With over 30 creative, fun, and unique ideas for teaching simple machines for kids you are bound to find the perfect project for your target audience. These are fun activiteis for kids in social isolation as you can make simple machines around the house .Your hardest choice is which one of these science projects to try first!
Science Experiments for Kids
Teach kids about chemical reactions in this EASY dancing raisins experiment, or amaze your students as we teach you how to grow crystals, and finally help kids understand why do leaves change colors in the fall with this cool chromotography experiment.
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!