Building and creating is something we just don’t do enough. We can buy manual powered cars, or even remote controlled cars, but nothing compares to creating one your ow elastic band cars. This fun STEM activity for kids was probably the best we have done so far. It was relatively easy, inexpensive (we used quite a few recycled materials) and SO MUCH FUN! If you and your kids like creating STEM projects, this rubber band powered car is a must! Make your own rubber band car designs with your preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students and have some fun playing and learning today!
Rubber band powered car
Help kids learn about how things work and to use creative problem solving, engingeering and more as they design their own rubber band powered car. This stem project is super easy and LOADS of fun. THis rubber band powered car science project is perfect for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you’ve got to try designing a rubber band propeller car. THis is the project that your kids will remember and learn so much as they make a DIY Rubberband car.
Rubber band car designs
To make your rubber band powered cars you’ll need a few simple materials you probably already having laying around your house. As with any STEAM project for kids, having your kids tweak things, try new ideas, and designing the look of their car is part of the experience.
Toothpicks or a dowel
Rubber band powered car science project
Start by cutting a rectangle out of cardboard. This is where your amazon box stash will come into play. This piece is going to be the base of the car. We did ours about 1 ½ size of a deck of cards.
On one end of the body of the car you are going to cut two slits, about ½ an inch apart. This will be in the middle of one end.
On the opposite side, you are going to cut a small rectangle out of the edge. See picture.
DIY rubber band car
Now it’s time to make the axis of the car. We used a dowel cut into two. Scissors wouldn’t cut this, but wire cutters did. You can also use toothpicks if you don’t have dowles on hand.
When this was done, we made the Axle Carriers. This is where the straws come into play. Cut them to fit the spaces as shown in the picture. I honestly cut what I thought would fit, used hot glue to attach and then cut down to size.
When these are attached, start on the side with the notch cut out. Slide the dowel in one side of the straw, and then through the other side. Tie the rubber band onto the middle of the dowel on the notch.
Slide the dowel onto the other side also.
Next, cut out 4 circles from cardboard to be wheels.
Glue these onto the ends of each of the dowels.
Elastic band cars
When the car is complete, take the rubber band end that isn’t attached and connect it to the two slits on the other end of the car. When you are ready to play with the car, you will pull the car back and the rubber band will wrap around the front axle. When it is wrapped a few times, let go of the car and the wheels will spin, pulling your car in the direction it is pointed.
You made a car move all on it’s own. How cool is that?
STEM Project for Kids
Not only is this a fantastic STEM activity, it is also a confidence booster for kids. If you teach them that when they put their mind to it and work towards something, following the directions, they can create all on their own!
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- Water Displacement Candy Science Experiment
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments for Kids
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!
Looking for more great content? We have over 1 million free printable worksheets conveniently arranged by subject or grade: super cute Pre k Worksheets, fun kindergarten worksheets, free 1st grade worksheets, handy 2nd grade worksheets, printable 3rd grade worksheets, and 4th grade worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- Make learning fun with these free cut and paste worksheets
- Plus don’t miss this outrageously fun Human Body Project
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Teach kids to tell time with this huge pack of printable time puzzles