Kids will love this fun to make grass craft that is a blast to watch grow and such silly crafts for kids! This grass head is the perfect summer or spring crafts for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students. Children will love giving their grass head craft a haircut and watching not only the hair, but facial hair grow! This is such an outrageously FUN summer or spring activity for kids!
As spring and summer start to appear, kids are ready to be outside. They are tired fo cold rainy days inside and excited to get outside and enjoy this beautiful weather. As kids get outside they have their standy activities like swinging, going down the slide, sandboxes, slip n slide, drawing in chalk on their driveway, blowing bubbles, hoola hoop, playing catch, making flower crowns from dandelions, But kids enjoy having new experiences, trying something different for a change. This cute Grass Craft is a fun summer craft for kids is one of the easiest ones you can try – and it appeals to both boys and girls because it isn’t a traditional craft that uses paint, glitter, or other messy things. This is a living craft that will change day by day. It is fun to make and even more fun to watch grow and change all season long. This grass craft ideas is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students!
Spring activities for kids
Grass craft ideas
- panty hose (any color / size – check if mom has an old stretched out pair or try to find cheap ones at a garage sale, womens clearance department, or the dollar store)
- pipe cleaners (your choice of colors – yellow, white, purple, green, pink, red, blue, green, etc.)
- google eyes (large googly eyes look the best in my opinion)
- hot glue gun (only costs $5 and I use mine all the time)
- sand (any type of sand to fill the panyhose)
- quick growing grass seed (whatever you have on hand)
Grass activities for toddlers
Cut off the leg of a pair of panty hose or stockings. Tie a knot in the end which will be the nose.
Silly crafts for kids
Fill the stocking with sand to make it as big or small as you’d like your people craft to be.It helps to have one person hold the hosiery open while another person carefully pours the sand in so that you don’t make a mess.
Lay your sand filled stocking so that the sand is laying horizontally on your surface and you can sneak in grass seed at the “top” of what will be your grass head’s head. Our grass seed we had on hand was blue which made it really easy to see where it had ended up.
From toddlers, preschoolers, pre k, kindergartners, 1st graders, 2nd graders to elementary age kids and junior high children – this summer project is fun for kids of all ages!
Grass head craft
Tie the other end of the stocking in a knot and trim off any extra material.
See how all the grass is at the top of the grass head.
Then use your hot glue gun (carefully – with adult supervision so you don’t hurt yourself) add your facial features using googley eyes and pipe cleaners to create your grass heads craft. We used pipe cleaners to makes smiles, glasses, bow ties, etc. Kids will ahve fun using their creativing to design their own outdoor puppet.
Thoroughly drench your silly crafts for kids with water. (If it is raining out – just stick it outside!) Now place your outdoor craft project in a sunny place outside like a patio table, club house, or indoors on a sunny window sill.
Don’t forget to water your grass heads 1-2x daily. If it is outside just water generously. If it is inside you can either dunk it in water or spritz with a water sprayer. The grass should emerge within a week.
Spring Activities for kids
After 5 days we had these silly grass head crafts that my kids were just crazy about! Don’t forget to keep watering your grass head every day or two to keep the grass seed growing all summer long. The longer you let it go the longer the hair will get and you can even style the grass head, give your grass figure a hair cut or trim with scissors, etc.
HINT: We put grass down the face of the middle one so it would grow hair all over. You could try to get it to grow as just a mustache if you like. The possibilities are endless!
Fun Summer Activities
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- DIY Lava Lamp
- Pop Rock Science Experiment
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Density Experiment
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Lego DIY Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Sidewalk Chalk Recipe
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Blow Painting
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!