Kids will love this fun to make grass craft that is a blast to watch grow and such silly crafts for kids! This grass head is the perfect summer or spring crafts for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students. Children will love giving their grass head craft a haircut and watching not only the hair, but facial hair grow! This is such an outrageously FUN summer or spring activity for kids!
As spring and summer start to appear, kids are ready to be outside. They are tired fo cold rainy days inside and excited to get outside and enjoy this beautiful weather. As kids get outside they have their standy activities like swinging, going down the slide, sandboxes, slip n slide, drawing in chalk on their driveway, blowing bubbles, hoola hoop, playing catch, making flower crowns from dandelions, But kids enjoy having new experiences, trying something different for a change. This cute Grass Craft is a fun summer craft for kids is one of the easiest ones you can try – and it appeals to both boys and girls because it isn’t a traditional craft that uses paint, glitter, or other messy things. This is a living craft that will change day by day. It is fun to make and even more fun to watch grow and change all season long. This grass craft ideas is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students!
Spring activities for kids
Grass craft ideas
- panty hose (any color / size – check if mom has an old stretched out pair or try to find cheap ones at a garage sale, womens clearance department, or the dollar store)
- pipe cleaners (your choice of colors – yellow, white, purple, green, pink, red, blue, green, etc.)
- google eyes (large googly eyes look the best in my opinion)
- hot glue gun (only costs $5 and I use mine all the time)
- sand (any type of sand to fill the panyhose)
- quick growing grass seed (whatever you have on hand)
Grass activities for toddlers
Cut off the leg of a pair of panty hose or stockings. Tie a knot in the end which will be the nose.
Silly crafts for kids
Fill the stocking with sand to make it as big or small as you’d like your people craft to be.It helps to have one person hold the hosiery open while another person carefully pours the sand in so that you don’t make a mess.
Lay your sand filled stocking so that the sand is laying horizontally on your surface and you can sneak in grass seed at the “top” of what will be your grass head’s head. Our grass seed we had on hand was blue which made it really easy to see where it had ended up.
From toddlers, preschoolers, pre k, kindergartners, 1st graders, 2nd graders to elementary age kids and junior high children – this summer project is fun for kids of all ages!
Grass head craft
Tie the other end of the stocking in a knot and trim off any extra material.
See how all the grass is at the top of the grass head.
Then use your hot glue gun (carefully – with adult supervision so you don’t hurt yourself) add your facial features using googley eyes and pipe cleaners to create your grass heads craft. We used pipe cleaners to makes smiles, glasses, bow ties, etc. Kids will ahve fun using their creativing to design their own outdoor puppet.
Thoroughly drench your silly crafts for kids with water. (If it is raining out – just stick it outside!) Now place your outdoor craft project in a sunny place outside like a patio table, club house, or indoors on a sunny window sill.
Don’t forget to water your grass heads 1-2x daily. If it is outside just water generously. If it is inside you can either dunk it in water or spritz with a water sprayer. The grass should emerge within a week.
Spring Activities for kids
After 5 days we had these silly grass head crafts that my kids were just crazy about! Don’t forget to keep watering your grass head every day or two to keep the grass seed growing all summer long. The longer you let it go the longer the hair will get and you can even style the grass head, give your grass figure a hair cut or trim with scissors, etc.
HINT: We put grass down the face of the middle one so it would grow hair all over. You could try to get it to grow as just a mustache if you like. The possibilities are endless!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- Human Body Project
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Outrageously cool Bouncy Egg Experiment
- Rainbow Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments for Kids
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids