Looking for really fun beach activities for kids? This sand volcano is not only a really cool thing to do on your summer vacation, but a fun summer science experiment too. This volcano experiment is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too. This summer activities for kids is super quick and easy with NO clean-up.
This sand volcano is a MUST TRY when planning your summer bucket list ideas! Not only is this beach activity loads of fun for a lazy day at the beach, but this summer science requires virtually no prep and just a couple simple materials. Try this easy volcano experiments on your family vacation to Florida, as a beach theme activity for your classroom, or a way to sneak in some fun summer learning in the sandbox. You will love that this sand activity for kids is quick and easy with virtually no clean-up!
All you need for this super simple summer science activity are a few simple materials:
- sand bucket or plastic container
- baking soda
- seashells (optional)
Beach Activities for Kids
Start by burrying the sides of your container and making an incline so it looks like a volcano.
A bucket makes the perfect core, and you most likely always have one on hand when playing in the sand or visiting the beach. I have found that using a taller, skinnier bucket produces a better volcano shape. You can also use an empty cup.
Beach Theme Activities
Next add some decorations if you like such as seashells you find on the beach, turn it into a sandcastle with some walls, add in some plast sea creatures, etc.
Now it’s time to play and learn! Let’s make your volcano ERUPT! Add 1-2 cups of baking soda to the volcano, pour in the desired amount of vinegar (add until you get the leave of fizz you like, you can always add more.
Summer Science Experiments
Note: I filled the bucket, acting as the core of the volcano, halfway with sand so that it would take less baking soda and vinegar to make the volcano fully erupt.
We choose to leave the volcano white as it is more natural at the beach or sandbox with no clean-up, just pile sand on top. You can dye it, but again – the food coloring will tint your sand and is not great for the natural environment at the beach. Plus I think the white looks pretty striking.
Baking Soda and Vinegar Reaction
This is such a fun beach activity for families with kids of all ages. You will love how it is low prep with just 2 simple ingredients to bring with you to the beach.
Summer STEM Activities
With this fun summer STEM project you will learn about
- Engineering as you create a volcano – use container to create the best shape, what should the volcano hill look like
- Learn about physics and how when you trap the carbon dioide gas from the chemical reaction it builds pressure that foces the erruption and can affect sea shells and errosion
- Chemical reactions with our all time favorite reaction: baking soda (base) and vinegar (acid).
- Design the sand volcano to add art makig it STREM plus art
Baking soda and Vinegar Reaction Explanation
How cool is that! You will love that there is virtually no clean-up. Once you are done, just rinse your bucket in the ocean and cover up your volcano with more sand. Easy, peasy! If you aren’t heading to the beach this summer you can try this in your sand box too!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment for kids of all ages
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Scented, Watermelon Playdough Recipe for summer
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Simple Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Kids will be amazed at the l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes they can make with this easy activity
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Blood for Kids – Activity to learn about the Human Body
- Fun-to-play with Fluffy Slime Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Scented, Watermelon Kool Aid Play Dough Recipe for summer
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Baking Soda Vinegar Experiment
There are so many fun ways to play and teach kids about chemical reactions using a baking soda and vinegar reaction. Here are some of our favorite baking soda and vinegar activities.
- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BLAST OFF! Rocket Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Volcano Watermelon Experiment – Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Look Inside a Volcano Experiment for Kids
- Science Play – Dinosaur Activities for Preschoolers
- Glitter Volcano Pretty Science Experiment
- Science Powered Boats with Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Rainbow Activities for Preschoolers
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- Huge Ocean Unit (250+ pages)
- Ocean Color by Number Worksheets
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- more ocean activities for kids
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Activity
- Summer Sandcastle Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Printable Activity
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
Leave a Reply