It’s basketball tournament time coming soon. If you follow NCAA basketball, you know that there is a bracket. You can fill it out with your guesses of who will win or you can fill it out as teams play and win. That is fun and we really enjoy doing that as a family but I thought it would be fun to do it as a reading activity as well. So I created this fun Book Bracket Printable to make reading extra fun with march book madness. Simply print pdf file with march madness bracket template and you are ready to help kids get excited about reading with kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grad,e 5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, and 8th grade students.
March book madness
Reading is so incredibly important. We know this. Reading to children and having children read is important for their literacy skills in the future. It doesn’t totally matter WHAT they read, just that they are reading.Some children, though, have a hard time with it. Whether it is hard for them to actually read or if the complication is with staying focused or interested. This is not uncommon. But sometimes it can be easy to fix. If it is just an interest situation, encouraging children with a variety of reading activities can be super helpful. This March book madness activity is sure to make even reluctant readers excited to read with a fun basketball theme reading game! This which book is best activity is perfect for grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6, grade 7, and grade 8 students.
March madness bracket template
March madness bracket for kids
How does it work? There are 13 slots on this particular bracket. Four on each side, then two on each side, then one on each side then a winner box.
The way you start is read 8 books and put them on the outside lines. When you are finished, you take the top two on the left and choose a winner. Then take the bottom left two and choose a winner. Follow the same concept on the right side. The winners get written down on the column with two lines. Then those two compete with each other and the winner gets written on the single line. Until finally there is a final two and you pick the ultimate winner.
You can do this a couple ways, though. You can read them all once then fill out the bracket, just picking the winner. If you want, though, you can read them each time you need to choose a winner. This is ultimately helping them learn the books even better and really pick winners after reading them again. This may be difficult for older children who are reading longer chapter books, though. However you want to play, whatever works for you and your kids, is the way you should do it!
March madness book bracket
So not only will this help encourage children to read, because it is fun, but they will be reading too. This is helpful for strengthening vocabulary skills, reading out loud skills, comprehension, fluency, as well as finding meanings and interpreting text.
As fun and simple as this is, it is a great tool for all kids to use for encouraging reading.
Prepping this is super easy too. You can just print and use it with any writing utensil. You could also laminate the sheets and use them over and over. It doesn’t have to be basketball tournament season for you to use this sheet.
Another idea is to go to the library and get 8 books specifically for this activity.
First of all, whether you stock up on books at your local library, have a robust home library, or not. You can still order books and have them conveninetly shipped to your house from Amazon. Wondering what should I read – we’ve got tons of great book recommendations for you! Click on the list you want to read and then you can conveninetly order from Amazon or print a book list to take to the library.
- 50 Books for Kindergarten Book List – books for Kindergarteners to read themselves
- Best Read aloud books for kindergarten
- 1st grade reading books pdf – 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read Themselves
- 20+ Fantastic First grade read alouds picture books
- Best First grade read aloud chapter books
- Top 25 Chapter books for 1st graders, 2nd graders, and 3rd graders
- Best 2nd Grade Reading List
- 2nd grade reading books pdf
- Printable 3rd grade reading list
- 4th Grade Reading List
- 5th grade reading List
- Historical fiction books for kids (arranged by time period)
Looking for more great content? We have over 1 million free printable worksheets conveniently arranged by subject or grade: super cute Pre k Worksheets, fun kindergarten worksheets, free 1st grade worksheets, handy 2nd grade worksheets, printable 3rd grade worksheets, and 4th grade worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Pipe Cleaner constellation activities
- Free Printable Brain Breaks for Kids
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- Make learning fun with these free cut and paste worksheets
- Plus don’t miss this outrageously fun Human Body Project
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Teach kids to tell time with this huge pack of printable time puzzles
- Pipe Cleaner constellation activitiy
Book bracket template
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to use in a coop or classroom please purchase a classroom licensed edition here TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Leave a Reply