Help your first grader improve reading and spelling with these super cute, free printable trigraph worksheets. These cut and paste worksheets for first grade and 2nd grade students help children work on the trigraphs spr, spl, str with this fun cut and paste and activity.
What are trigraphs? Simply put, it is three letters that make one sound. And with a little one that struggles with speech, trying to say these words, spell them, and read them can be quite difficult. So I wanted both of my little ones, but especially my daughter, to have a little extra practice with these words. Wanting to add in some cutting skills, I decided to create a trigraph cut and paste activity.
Teach students about trigraphs with these free trigraph worksheets for grade 1 and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these phonics worksheets that help students work on spr words, spl words, and str words. Use this as extra practice, summer learning, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics curriculum.
This trigraph cut and paste is very easy to prep.
- First, print off the pages you need.
- Second, gather up some glue and scissors.
And you are ready to go!!!
Trigraph Cut And Paste Activity
When I planned this activity I had two goals.
- First, have my twins practice saying the trigraphs.
- Second, be able to recognize the trigraphs I was saying and what they were saying.
The words used are a little hard to read, so we didn’t practice reading them as much as saying and recognizing them.
First Grade Printables
We began by cutting out the trigraphs, this fine motor skill is always good for my little one. Then, I would say the name of the picture. My children would repeat the word after me.
In the beginning, I would have to say the word again and emphasize the trigraph. Then my little girl would practice saying just the trigraph. Finally, we would find it and glue it in the right place.
When we were done, we did practice reading and spelling some very simple trigraph words like the following. My little girl definitely does best when she is moving those magnetic letters and spelling the words before we begin reading them.
So after listening, saying, and recognizing the trigraphs spr, spl, and str moving into spelling and reading these words was the perfect next step.
- SPR – sprig, sprat, spring, sprint
- STR – strud, strum, strap, stirp
- SPL – split, splat, splash, splosh, splash
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraph Worksheets
- Trigraph Emergent Readers for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Trigraph Printables Readers for grade 1 and grade 2 students
- THR Words Playdough Mats – Printable Phonics Activity
- Phonics Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows – kids will have fun workign on beginning sounds with this creative phonics game for early learners
- Do-a-Dot Phonics Worksheets – low prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas tree Phonics Puzzles – students will make Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Strips – better than th worksheets is this re-usable activity to help kinds work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sound Match – super cute winter themed activity to work on matching letters with the sounds they make.
- Spring Digraph Puzzles – kids will have fun listening for consonant blends with this fun phonics activity for prek, kinders, and 1st grders.
- Digraph Ice Cream Puzzles – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Consonant Blend Clip Cards – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Matching Game – super cute acticity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a Blends Activity – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color & Trace Blends Book – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blends Cluster Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Blends Transportation Slider – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, hands on reading activity for early readers.
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Trigraph Practice Sheets
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!