Help your first grader improve reading and spelling with these super cute, free printable trigraph worksheets. These cut and paste worksheets for first grade and 2nd grade students help children work on the trigraphs spr, spl, str with this fun cut and paste and activity.
What are trigraphs? Simply put, it is three letters that make one sound. And with a little one that struggles with speech, trying to say these words, spell them, and read them can be quite difficult. So I wanted both of my little ones, but especially my daughter, to have a little extra practice with these words. Wanting to add in some cutting skills, I decided to create a trigraph cut and paste activity.
Teach students about trigraphs with these free trigraph worksheets for grade 1 and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these phonics worksheets that help students work on spr words, spl words, and str words. Use this as extra practice, summer learning, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics curriculum.
This trigraph cut and paste is very easy to prep.
- First, print off the pages you need.
- Second, gather up some glue and scissors.
And you are ready to go!!!
Trigraph Cut And Paste Activity
When I planned this activity I had two goals.
- First, have my twins practice saying the trigraphs.
- Second, be able to recognize the trigraphs I was saying and what they were saying.
The words used are a little hard to read, so we didn’t practice reading them as much as saying and recognizing them.
First Grade Printables
We began by cutting out the trigraphs, this fine motor skill is always good for my little one. Then, I would say the name of the picture. My children would repeat the word after me.
In the beginning, I would have to say the word again and emphasize the trigraph. Then my little girl would practice saying just the trigraph. Finally, we would find it and glue it in the right place.
When we were done, we did practice reading and spelling some very simple trigraph words like the following. My little girl definitely does best when she is moving those magnetic letters and spelling the words before we begin reading them.
So after listening, saying, and recognizing the trigraphs spr, spl, and str moving into spelling and reading these words was the perfect next step.
- SPR – sprig, sprat, spring, sprint
- STR – strud, strum, strap, stirp
- SPL – split, splat, splash, splosh, splash
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Trigraph Practice Sheets
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!