Addition practice and critical thinking skills can be a tough sell for kids. But these detective themed Math Mysteries – FUN Addition and Subtraction Math Problems are a great way to work on both! Figure out the mystery numbers using addition and subtraction skills as well as knowledge of even and odd math worksheets
Post Updated: Post originally published FEbruary 18, 2018.
- 34 Math Games for Kids
- Make Kindergarten Math FUN
- 1st Grade Math Worksheets
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets
- Deck of Cards Addition Worksheets
- Free Deck of Cards Subtraction Worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets
- Solve & Stamp Mystery Pictures (Addition & Subtraction)
- Addition Tic Tac Toe Math
Math Mysteries Worksheets
It’s time to pretend to be a detective and find these mystery numbers! Use the clues to figure out which number belongs on each card! This Math Mysteries – FUN Addition and Subtraction Math Problems is sure to make math fun.
There are two sets of these cards – one for addition under 10 and one for addition under 20. Each card includes a clue based on even and odd numbers and 2 clues that include either addition or subtraction.
There is also a recording sheet included for use with a group of kids.
What Number Am I
If you’re going to use the set in a group, I’d recommend laminating the cards. This way kids can use dry erase markers on the cards but they can still be reused. Have them write their final answer on a recording sheet.
Otherwise, the cards can be used on plain paper for just one child.
These cards rely on logic to figure out the answer, but the answer can be found purely through using math.
Go through each clue and eliminate as many numbers as possible until the final number is revealed.
The first clue is always indicating whether the number is even or odd. So start by crossing off any number that is excluded.
Keep moving through the cards until there is just one number left. That is the mystery number!
My kids enjoyed acting like detectives while doing their math (and I totally keep magnifying glasses on hand just for occasions like this!)
For more detective math ideas: Detective Math with Invisible Ink
Download Math Mysteries Problems
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.