Your kid are going to BEG to practice math with this outrageously FUN subtraction activity for kindergarten, preschool, pre-k, and first graders. Children will practice subtraction within 10 using playdough and our free printable playdough mats. This subtraction smash turns the chore of teaching subtraction into a fun math game for kids! Simply print pdf file with subtraction games for kids and you are ready to play and learn!
Subtraction Activity for Kindergarten
If you are looking for a fun, engaging, and memorable way for teaching subtraction to kindergarten, you will love this subtraction smash! This subtraction activity for kindergarten is a great way to help kids understand subtraction while having fun with a play dough activity. This subtraction within 10 is a great introduction to subtracting for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. All you need are these free playdough mats, a couple containers of playdough, and a writing utencil. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this subtraction game for kids! Use it at home, as a math center in your classroom, or in your homeschool coop.
Turn the task of how to teach subtraction into a fun educational activity with this subtraction fun! Start by printing the 3 pages in the set.
- Subtraction Smash Play Dough Mat – i recommend laminating or putting this subtraction playdough mat in a page protector to extend it’s life
- Playdough Cards 1-10 – you may want to laminate to make them more durable; then cut them apart and put in a stack
- Subtraction worksheets – you will need a sheet for each student OR you can laminate the page and complete with a dry erase marker to make this free subtraction worksheet reusable
Subtraction games for kids
Start by rolling 10 playdoh balls of any color and put on in each spot in the 10 frame.
Next, draw a playdough number card and place it in the matching blue playdough ball spot.
Subtraction within 10
Use your hand, fish, or small mallet to smash the numer of play doh balls indicated on the card.
Count the number of remaining play dough balls and write the number on the line above. When first explaining the activity to students make sure to repeat what you did serveral ways to help them understand the concept of subtraction.
10 minus 2 equals 2. If you have 10 playdough balls and you smash two of them, you have 8 playdough balls left.
Have children fill out a Subtraction Smash worksheet with the subtraction equations they made. They will do one subtracting 1-10 from ten. They can color the pladydough canisters and playdough balls if they like. The initial number 10 is already listed on each of the math equations. Just add the number card you drew in the ball and the difference you got on the line.
Play Dough Activity
This is such a fun, engaging activity for preschoolers and kindergarnters to start to understand the concept of subtraction.
Subtraction Activities for Kids
Looking for more subtraction worksheets and subtraction games to make learning to subtract fun? Check out these subtraction math ideas and free resources:
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery Printables
- Subtraction within 5 Printable Board Game
- Hibernating Animals Simple Subtraction Worksheets
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Fluency within 5 Subtraction Games for Kids
- Patriotic Subtraction Mats
- Subtraction Worksheets you turn into a mini book
- FUN Subtraction BINGO
- Thanksgiving Math Worksheets – Cut and Paste Subtraction Turkeys
- Roll & Smash Playdough Subtraction Activity for Kindergarten
- Gumball Math – practice adding and subtracting
- Goldfish Kindergarten Subtraction Games
- Build a Snowman Math Activity
- Candy Corn Subtraction Puzzles
- Subtraction Worksheets with a deck of cards
- Toy Story Subtraction Flash Cards Printable
- See even more FREE subtraction games worksheets!
Free Playdough Mats
Looking for more fun, free printable playdough mats? You will love these:
- Interactive Alphabet Playodugh Mats with finish the picture
- Simple Alphabet Playdough Mats with tracing lines
- Roll & Smash Playdough Subtraction Activity for Kindergarten
- Gumball Number Playdough Mats
- Roll & Smash Pre-k Math Playdough Subtraction Activities
- Fun Transportation Playdough mats (train, bus, rocket, airplane, boat, and more!)
- Free Shape Playdough Mats
- Preschool Shape Worksheets with playdoh
- Finish the scene Playdough Number Mats (featured above)
- Build a Playdough Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool
- Pet Animal Playdough mats (bird, turtle, fish, bunny, cat, lizzard, dog, snake, etc.)
- Free Printable Emotion Playdough mats
- Thanksgiving Playdough Mats featuring yummy thanksgiving favorite foods!
- Playdough Musical Activities for Kids
- Free Playdough Letter Mats
- Fall Playdough Mats (build a sunflower, leaf, acron, pumpkin, rake, hay, etc)
- Count to 10 Apple Playdough Mats
- FREE Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Spider Math Activities for Preschoolers withPlay dogh
- Free Printable Human Body Playdough Mats
- Telling Time Activity with Playdough
- Grilling on a Ten Frame Summer Printable Playdough Mats
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough Mats
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with playdough
- Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool Counting candles Playdough mats
- Sandcastle Activity Playdough Mat
- Over 100 Playdough Mats to print and play (plus more free printable playdough mats on our sister site)
Playdough Activities for Kids
Looking for some amazing playdough recipes to try? Check out these easy play doh recipes!
- Color Changing Playdough
- Kool Aid Playdough
- Incredible, Edible Ice Cream Play doh
- 30+ Amazing, Easy-to-Make Playdough Recipes
- Quick, Edible Peeps Playdough
- Hot Chocolate playdough
- Easy 2 Ingredient Play Dough Recipe
- Simple Candy Corn Playdough – play and EAT!
- Super Soft Conditioner Playdough
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Subtraction Activity for Kids
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!