Subtraction Bingo is a perfect way to practice subtraction problems with your first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. Children will use a deck of cards to create an math equation, find the different to solve, and cover the solution on your hundreds chart. Get a bingo by getting 3-in-a-row to with the subtraction bingo game. Simply print pdf file with subtraction bingo printable and you are ready to play and learn!
Sure, we could use boring old subtraction worksheets, but playing Subtraction Bingo is so much fun more fun! I’m not sure why, but for the majority of students, addition is easy. Then subtraction is introduced, and things get a little harder. Add on subtraction with regrouping, and many little ones feel overwhelmed. My first grader has just started subtraction with regrouping, and I didn’t want him to be overwhelmed. I decided to introduce it slowly and with lots of manipulatives. This free Subtraction bingo printable allows the players a choice in what number they will be covering up so they will work on logic and problem solving as much as two digit subtraction. This subtraction bingo game is such a fun way for grade 1, grade 2, grdae 3, and grade 4 students to practice subtraction while having fun.
Parents, teachers, and homeschoolers will love using this subtraction math games to work on two digit subtraction as extra practice at home, as part of a math center in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Subtraction bingo printable
Subtraction bingo game
As always, when a game comes out my boys run to join me. They are competitive little guys and they are always happy to help me see if a new game works. We started off by drawing four cards from our deck and creating an expression (math equation). I was prepared to remind N, my first grader, to make sure he created an expression with the larger number on top, but I was thrilled that he did it without a reminder. Once he solved his problem, we checked it using the numbers chart.
You can do this by counting backward. If the expression is 23 – 12, all you do is place your finger on 23, move up one space (that is subtracting ten), then move to the left 2 (that is subtracting 2). This is a great checking tool, and also focuses on place value.
Subtraction bingo free printable
Now came the fun part!! N knew he wanted his next answer to be close to his first answer, so he didn’t create just any expression. He played with the numbers till he got an answer close to the previous one. Here he was problem-solving, doing some estimation, and practicing subtraction problems.
The game continued this way for a few rounds, and then all he needed was 66 or 69. N drew a 7, 9. 1 and 3, and I could see the determined look he had in his eye. He was going to get a 66 or a 69 to win. He started off with 71 – 39, but quickly saw that the answer would be in the 30’s. He changed the numbers around and came up with 97 – 31. His face broke into a bright smile. He had won!!!!
addition and subtraction bingo printable
Here is what yuu will need to play this no prep, game where you will use two digit subtraction and three digit subtraction.
- deck of cards – You will need to take out the ten, Jack, Queen, King, and Joker. The Ace will be the number one unless that is too confusing for your child.
- number’s chart for each player (free printable below) – You don’t have to give the same chart to each child. Just pick the one that best meets the need of that specific player. There are 6 number charts to choose from. You have the basic 1- 120’s chart, but you also have a chart for 100’s, 200’s, 300’s, 400’s and 500’s.
- Blank subtraction cards (free printable below) – If you are using the 1-120’s chart, you would give that player the subtraction cards that subtract two digits by one and two digits by two digits. Any other chart will need the subtraction cards allowing for subtracting with three digits. These cards will need to be laminated so that they can be written on with dry erase markers.
- Game markers – We placed the hundreds chart in a sheet protector and “covered” up the spaces with a dry erase marker. I’ve found that little hands accidently knock off game markers, and using a dry erase maker prevents that. But you can provide small game markers if that is easy for you.
- Dry Erase Marker
Addition and Subtraction Bingo
Here is how to play the subtraction games for grade 1 with modifications to make it subtraction games 2nd grade or even 3rd grade with our printable subtraction games:
- For the numbers chart 1 – 120 have students draw four cards.
- For all other number charts, have students draw five cards. They will also have a permanent card that stays with them throughout the game. If they are using the 200’s number chart they will always have a two, if they are using the 400’s chart they should keep a 4 out, and so on.
- The students will create their own problem and solve. They can choose to use all their cards, or leave one out.
- If they solve correctly, they may cover up the answer on their hundreds board.
- The first player to get three in a row wins.
- Now it’s your turn. Don’t leave your little ones waiting patiently, or impatiently for some, for the perfect card to be drawn. Allow them to create their own, and get some extra subtraction practice in too!
Looking for more subtraction worksheets and subtraction games to make learning to subtract fun? Check out these subtraction math ideas and free resources:
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- FUN Subtraction BINGO
- Goldfish subtraction games for Kindergarten
- Hungry Unicorn Subtraction – sensory math activities
- Patriotic Subtraction Mats
- Free Valentine’s day subtraction worksheets
- Toy Story Subtraction Flash Cards
- Roll and Smash within 6 (great for strengthening hand muscles) – subtraction activities
- Subtraction Smash – FUN subtraction practice for kindergartners within 10
- Roll & Subtraction Smash printable activity for kids within 12 (with number sense)
- Fill-in-the-Wheel Free Math Subtraction Worksheets
- Fun and FREE Subtraction Worksheets with a deck of cards
- Math Aquarium – Free Subtraction File Folder Game
- Free Printable Subtraction worksheets pdf you turn into a mini book
- Pot of Gold Subtraction Math Craft
- Hibernating Animals Simple Subtraction Worksheets
- Lemon Free Subtraction Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Thanksgiving Math Worksheets – Cut and Paste Subtraction Turkeys
- Subtraction Playdough Mats
- Animal Crack the Code Worksheet – simple addition and subtraction
- Back to School Crack the Code Worksheet – simple addition and subtraction
- Christmas Fact Family Math
- Watermelon Fact Family Worksheets
- See even more FREE subtraction games worksheets!
Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Math Mystery subtraction printables
- Solve and Stamp Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Addition and Subtration Games Printable within 5
- Gumball Math Addition and subtraction worksheets
- Fluency within 5 addition and subtraction games
- Subtraction & Addition Candy Corn Math Puzzles
- Hot chocolate math – addition and subtraction fact family worksheets
- Snowman Math – build a snowman by solving addition and subtraction problems
- Christmas Fact Families – addition and subtraction worksheets
- Star Wars Math Activities: Addition and Subtraction to 20
- Butterfly Addition and Subtraction Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Free Summer Math Worksheets
- Math Cootie Catcher – addition, subtraction, numbers, dubbling
- Free Fact Family Worksheets – color or black & white
- Apple Kindergarten Math Worksheets
Subtraction games regrouping
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.