Subtraction Bingo is a perfect way to practice subtraction problems with your first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. Children will use a deck of cards to create an math equation, find the different to solve, and cover the solution on your hundreds chart. Get a bingo by getting 3-in-a-row to with the subtraction bingo game. Simply print pdf file with subtraction bingo printable and you are ready to play and learn!
Sure, we could use boring old subtraction worksheets, but playing Subtraction Bingo is so much fun more fun! I’m not sure why, but for the majority of students, addition is easy. Then subtraction is introduced, and things get a little harder. Add on subtraction with regrouping, and many little ones feel overwhelmed. My first grader has just started subtraction with regrouping, and I didn’t want him to be overwhelmed. I decided to introduce it slowly and with lots of manipulatives. This free Subtraction bingo printable allows the players a choice in what number they will be covering up so they will work on logic and problem solving as much as two digit subtraction. This subtraction bingo game is such a fun way for grade 1, grade 2, grdae 3, and grade 4 students to practice subtraction while having fun.
Parents, teachers, and homeschoolers will love using this subtraction math games to work on two digit subtraction as extra practice at home, as part of a math center in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Subtraction bingo printable
As always, when a game comes out my boys run to join me. They are competitive little guys and they are always happy to help me see if a new game works. We started off by drawing four cards from our deck and creating an expression (math equation). I was prepared to remind N, my first grader, to make sure he created an expression with the larger number on top, but I was thrilled that he did it without a reminder. Once he solved his problem, we checked it using the numbers chart.
You can do this by counting backward. If the expression is 23 – 12, all you do is place your finger on 23, move up one space (that is subtracting ten), then move to the left 2 (that is subtracting 2). This is a great checking tool, and also focuses on place value.
Subtraction Bingo Game
Now came the fun part!! N knew he wanted his next answer to be close to his first answer, so he didn’t create just any expression. He played with the numbers till he got an answer close to the previous one. Here he was problem-solving, doing some estimation, and practicing subtraction problems.
The game continued this way for a few rounds, and then all he needed was 66 or 69. N drew a 7, 9. 1 and 3, and I could see the determined look he had in his eye. He was going to get a 66 or a 69 to win. He started off with 71 – 39, but quickly saw that the answer would be in the 30’s. He changed the numbers around and came up with 97 – 31. His face broke into a bright smile. He had won!!!!
Bingo subtraction game
Here is what yuu will need to play this no prep, game where you will use two digit subtraction and three digit subtraction.
- deck of cards – You will need to take out the ten, Jack, Queen, King, and Joker. The Ace will be the number one unless that is too confusing for your child.
- number’s chart for each player (free printable below) – You don’t have to give the same chart to each child. Just pick the one that best meets the need of that specific player. There are 6 number charts to choose from. You have the basic 1- 120’s chart, but you also have a chart for 100’s, 200’s, 300’s, 400’s and 500’s.
- Blank subtraction cards (free printable below) – If you are using the 1-120’s chart, you would give that player the subtraction cards that subtract two digits by one and two digits by two digits. Any other chart will need the subtraction cards allowing for subtracting with three digits. These cards will need to be laminated so that they can be written on with dry erase markers.
- Game markers – We placed the hundreds chart in a sheet protector and “covered” up the spaces with a dry erase marker. I’ve found that little hands accidently knock off game markers, and using a dry erase maker prevents that. But you can provide small game markers if that is easy for you.
- Dry Erase Marker
Subtraction Math Games
Here is how to play the subtraction games for grade 1 with modifications to make it subtraction games 2nd grade or even 3rd grade with our printable subtraction games:
- For the numbers chart 1 – 120 have students draw four cards.
- For all other number charts, have students draw five cards. They will also have a permanent card that stays with them throughout the game. If they are using the 200’s number chart they will always have a two, if they are using the 400’s chart they should keep a 4 out, and so on.
- The students will create their own problem and solve. They can choose to use all their cards, or leave one out.
- If they solve correctly, they may cover up the answer on their hundreds board.
- The first player to get three in a row wins.
- Now it’s your turn. Don’t leave your little ones waiting patiently, or impatiently for some, for the perfect card to be drawn. Allow them to create their own, and get some extra subtraction practice in too!
Looking for more math subtraction worksheets and subtraction math games to make learning to subtract fun? Check out these subtraction math ideas and free resources:
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery Printables
- Subtraction within 5 Printable Board Game
- Fluency within 5 Subtraction Games for Kids
- Patriotic Subtraction Mats
- Subtraction Worksheets you turn into a mini book
- FUN Subtraction BINGO
- Thanksgiving Math Worksheets – Cut and Paste Subtraction Turkeys
- Gumball Math – practice adding and subtracting
- Goldfish Kindergarten Subtraction Games
- Build a Snowman Math Activity
- Candy Corn Subtraction Puzzles
- Subtraction Worksheets with a deck of cards
- Toy Story Subtraction Flash Cards Printable
- See even more FREE subtraction games worksheets!
3rd Grade Worksheets
- Free 3rd Grade Math Worksheets with answer keys
- See all our our 3rd grade worksheets and educational activities
- Grade 3 Reading Books pdf list or this printable 3rd grade reading list
- Two Digit Addition Math Game
- Three Digit Addition Math Game
- 2 Digit Subtraction Math Game
- Ice Cream Sundae Place Value Activity
- PB & J Place Value Activity
- Pirate Place Value Game
3rd Grade Math
- Free Printable Skip Counting Charts
- Skip Counting Worksheets
- Hands-on Skip Coutning Puzzles
- Lego Multiplication Flashcards – help kids gain fluency with these free printable flashcards
- Practice Multiplication with Hopscotch – quick to learn and play multiplication math game for 1-2 players
- Home Run Division – kids will get excited about practicing math with this baseball themed division math game for 1-2 players
- Deck of Cards Division -these division worksheets are ever changing making it a wonderful, hands on way for kids to practice math!
- Multiplication Mini book – help kids learn their math facts by making this handy multiplication facts book
- Skip Counting Posters – handy tool to help kids learn to skip count by 1s-12s to make a firm foundation for multiplication and division
- Robot Money Practice – easy, no prep robot themed activty for kids to practice counting money
- Telling Time Puzzles – kids will have fun putting together the puzzle as they practice figuring out what time it is
- Knights Quest Division Math Game – a clever division game with a medieval castle / knight theme!
- Hot Chocolate Math: Multiplication & Division
3rd Grade Language Arts
- FREE Book Report Tempalte 3rd Grade or this simple Book Report Template
- Creative Sandwich Book Report or this fun Pizza Book Report
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worskheets
- Detective Parts of Speech Games Printable
- 20 FUn Punctuation Activities for Kids
- Pumpkin Homophone Activity
- LOTS of FREE Printable Writing Prompts
- Free SPelling Dictionary
- Dictionary Detective Activity with free printable cases with answer keys!
3rd Grade Social Studies
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
3rd Grade Science
- Free Scientific Method Worksheet
- Playdough Layers of the Earth activity
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Free 4 Season Printables
- EPIC Lego Water Cycle Model for Kids
- Large Printable Weather Unit for kids
- Rain Cloud for Kids experiment and free worksheet
- Water Cycle for Kids Printable Book
- Hibernation preschool activities learning about weather
- Severe Storms for Kids – includes tornado in a bottle, what to do in an emergency, and storm worksheets for kids
- How to Make a Weather Vane – easy weather science project for elementary age students
- Lots of fun ideas for a weather theme this week
- Clever Rain Craft for kids to make
- Simple Air Pressure Experiments for kids
- Recycling Worksheets
- Animal Classification Worksheets
- LOTS of projects to learn about the human body for kids
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Lesson
Subtraction bingo pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.