Make practicing double digit addition fun with a addition matching game perfect for spring math! This spring activity for first grade is a great way to help grade 1 and grade 2 students sneak in some fun math practice with a spring math game! Simply print pdf file with spring worksheets and you are ready to play and learn!
Spring math games
When kids first begin to add two digit numbers, it’s more important to help them develop strategies and a solid understanding of place value than to teach formulas or procedures. Understanding place value is the basis for the rest of their math learning, so it should under gird everything you do in the early years. This addition matching game is designed to do just that. The goal of this seemingly simple Spring Math game is to help kids deepen their understanding of place value, practice addition with a hundreds chart and give them a solid foundation for developing their mental math skills. If you are just introducing addition of two digit numbers, or your older ones need some review, this is an easy game, with multiple variations. This
Game ideas and variations are included in the set, making it easy for you to pull out and play. In addition, there is a recording page for kids which includes a hundreds chart to help them solve the addition problems, as well as a set of 24 matching cards.
The matching cards include addition problems with whole tens (10, 20, 30, etc.) as well as ones (no regrouping or borrowing required). Once you print and cut out the cards and print recording pages for each child, you’re ready to play!
Why Use a Hundreds Chart as a Visual Model:
There are a lot of reasons why a hundreds chart is a valuable tool in math. First, to really understand and become proficient in math, visual models are essential. Several pathways in the brain that gets used when we solve a math problem are visual processing pathways.
This means we need to be intentional about providing, using and creating visual models with kids to help develop these parts of the brain.
A hundreds chart is a helpful visual because it makes it easier to see the patterns in our base ten number system.
Plus, it’s helpful for addition based on place value (like this activity) because kids can see that adding tens means moving up and down on the hundreds chart (and the value of the ones place doesn’t change), whereas adding ones means moving left and right (and the value of the tens place doesn’t change).
The goal is that rather than telling kids this or having them memorize facts, they notice these things on their own with repeated exposure to the hundreds chart.
Then when you take away the chart and give them these problems as a mental math challenge, they will have developed these strategies and be ready for it.
Addition matching game
If you have multiple players, the first way you can use this set is as a typical memory matching game. Once your cards are cut out, simply lay them face down in an array on the table. Kids then take turns flipping over 2 cards. The goal is to find an addition problem and it’s solution.
They can use their hundreds chart to help them solve the problem, and if they have the matching solution, they keep the pair and write the true equation on their paper. Play continues this way until all the matches are found.
In the end, the player with the most matches wins. Once kids are ready, you can play the same way, but without the recording page and hundreds chart. This increases the challenge, because now kids must solve the problems mentally, remembering the importance of place value.
Spring math game
One final idea for this game is to use it as an independent activity. To set it up, print a recording page and all the game cards. Then shuffle and place the cards face down in a stack. Your child then draws a card from the stack. If it is an addition problem, they use their hundreds chart to solve it, and record the equation on their paper.
If it is a solution card, they come up with their own addition problem equal to that solution and write that on their paper.Once they have correctly written 10 addition equations, they’re finished!
Second Grade Worksheets
Looking for more 2nd grade worksheets? You will love these activities:
- Crab Contractions Activity
- 2nd Grade Crossword Puzzles to work on spelling words
- Grab the 2nd grade reading list or check out read alouds for 2nd grade
- Bandaid Contraction Games
- Minion Contraction Games
- Bingo Contraction Games
- Dominoes Contraction Games
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worksheets
- BINGO Digraph Game
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt for learning about different genres of books, book catalog, and so much more
- Dictionary Detective Worksheets and free printable cases for kids
- Pizza Book Report Templates
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Games 2nd Grade
- Super CUTE, Free Skip Counting Charts – 1s-15s
- Spring Double Digit Addition Game
- NO PREP, Telling Time Worksheets pdf
- Free Clock Mazes – Telling Time Games
- Counting Coins Games – Clip Cards
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minute
Free Printable Worksheets for 2nd Grade
Plus dont’ miss these grade 2 worksheets:
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Animals and Hibernation Worksheet
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheets
- Free Printable Animal Report Template
- Cut and Paste Animal Classification Worksheet
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets or see all our life cycle worksheets
- Free Habitat Game for 2nd Grade
- Color Changing Flowers Science Experiment
- Lots of Printables and activities to learn about Countries for Kids
- We have almost 50 individual country studies for kids like this Colombia for Kids
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- FREE Printable World Map for Kids
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Many 2nd grader learn about the USA. These 2nd grade homeschool worksheets will help children learn about the great country of the United States! WE have so many resources and second grade worksheets to choose from!
- Patriotic Symbols Mini Book to read, color, and learn
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- Super CUTE, Free State Coloring Pages
- USA for Kids printable book to read, color and learn
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
- Spring Jelly Bean Egg One to One Correspondence Activities
- Super cute Carrot Shape Playdough Mats for Spring
- Spring Counting Games for Kindergarten 1-20
- Count the Bunny Number Flashcards
- Match the Flowers Worksheet for preschoolers
- Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Practice adding numbers with this free printable Spring Addition Matching Game
- Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printables Ten Frame Math Activity
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Grab these cute Spring Printables Sudoku Puzzles for kids
- Seed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Frog Alphabet Game Matching Printable
- Kite Beginning Sound Activities printable craft for spring
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Print and GO Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Step by Step Drawings
- Practice reading with this Spring sight word cut and paste reader
- Worm Worksheets Pack
- Spring Telling Time Worksheets
- Digraphy Activity to improve reading and spelling skills with these spring puzzles
- Cute Blubird Soring Blends Activity for first and second graders.
- LOTS of fun PLANTS arts and crafts for preschool and kindergartners
Spring worksheets for 1st grade pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.