If you are looking for a fun way to teach your homeschooler how to use the dictionary you are going to love Dictionary Detective Worksheets for Kids.
Although Dictionary Skills can be taught whenever you like, most kids learn to use a dictionary and need extra practice in this essential skill in 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, you will love the practice your student will get using a dictionary. Your child will have fun with this creative way to practice dictionary skills. Plus, this activity is NO PREP!
Teaching Dictionary Skills
This dictionary skills activity will help students in grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, and grade 5 learn about dictionaries and how to use a dictionary. There are five teaching sheets that include lots of hands on practice as kids learn about
- entry words
- guide words
- word forms
Dictionary Detective Worksheet
- teaching posters (optional) in color on cardstock. You will only need one set
- Hands-on Dictionary Worksheets in black and white on plain printer paper. There are various different “cases” for students to work on using their dictionary.
Make it a language arts center or a detective theme unit you work on for a week or a month with these fun posters to hang or store in a file folder to teach about entry words, syllables, guide words, word forms, and definitions.
Kids will practice what they’ve learned with these dictionary skills worksheets that help kids get hands on practice reviewing what they’ve just learned about entry words, syllables, guide words, word forms, definitions and more using a dictionary.
Your student will become a dictionary detective using these free printable dictionary skills worksheets. There are also 8 half page detective sheets for kids to do on their own. They will become dictionary detectives and practice what they’ve learned about how a dictionary works. These are such a fun way to review and practice what you’ve learned with 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grace, 5th grade, and even 6th grade students.
Dictionary Detective Worksheet
Although these worksheets can be used with any dictionary, I highly suggest Merriam-Webster’s Elementary Dictionary which is great for elementary age children. It is easy for kids to use, includes color pictures throughout, has larger print, and includes a lot. If you do happen to use this dictionary, the answer key for this activity is included.
See Dictionary Detectives in Action on my You Tube Channel
Worksheets for Kids
Looking for more fun, free worksheets for kids, educational games, and other activites to make kids excited about learning? Check out these resources:
- Reading Comprehension Bookmarks
- Alphabet-O Alphabetizing Game
- Candyland Sight Words Game
- Dominoes Contractions Game
- Pizza Parlor Sentences Game
- Bankable Spelling Words – practice counting money
- Deck of Cards Multiplication Worksheets
- Tic Tac Toe Addition Game
- Planets Printable Mini Book
- State Coloring Sheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE 4th grade worksheets, pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Dictionary Skills Worksheet
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!