Looking for a fun st patricks day printable to add some phonics fun to your St Patricks Day theme? This St patricks Day activity is a fun way for first graders to learn about words ending in y. This y phonics words activity allows kids to sort the y words by the sound them make. Simply print pdf file with free st patrick’s day printables and you are ready to play and learn!
St patricks day activities
This simple activity gets children reading and sorting words that end in y. Teaching children to read can be a daunting task, especially if they are struggling. With my little reader that needs a little extra support, I have learned one thing. Every rule or generalization must be taught clealry and lots of practice must follow. So today, we are jumping into the wonderful world of words ending in y. This st patrick day activities is a fun, season y phonics words activity perfect for adding to your st patrick’s day lesson plans with your grade 1 students.
St patricks day printable
Y words for kids
The letter y is a tricky little fellow. It can be a consonant or a vowel. If the y is found at the beginning of a word, it is normally a consonant. Think of words like yes, yellow, and yuck. They all make the /y/ sound.
But things change when the y is a the end of the word. A fun way to help our kids remember this, is by telling them that the “y stills the sound of the i and the e”.
So how do you know which sound the y makes.
St Patricks Day Phonics
Well here is the generalization.
- Y makes the “i” sound with one-syllable words. Words like dry, why, and sly are examples of this. But of course English is a little confusing, and this just a generalization. Words like deny, July, and supply does not follow the generalization.
- Y normally makes the “e” sound in two-syllable words. Words like nasty, thrifty, and picky are a few examples.
And this activity helps children practice reading these words, and figuring out whether the y steals the e sound or the i sound.
St Patrick’s Day Printables Free
With a little cutting, this activity will be ready to be used over and over.
- First print off the pots of gold, and the gold pieces on card stock paper.
- Next, cut them out. You could laminate for extra durability if desired.
And that is it. You are ready to go.
St patrick’s day lesson plans
Now all that is left is for your little readers to read the words, and place them under the correct pot of gold. As they read, it may be helpful to have them state the rule when they are struggling using the correct sound.
Another great question to ask if they mess up with the y sound is, “Is that a word?”
St patricks day first grade activities
When the answer no, suggest they try the other sound. The consistent practice of reading these words will help your children master these new rules and be able to read words that end in y.
St Patricks Day Worksheets
We’ve got handy St Patricks day worksheets, printable literacy games, practice tracing, march creative writing, and lots more fun ways to learn in March.
- Color by Letter St Patrick’s Day Worksheets
- Leprechaun Hat Template Letter Tracing Activity
- Find the Letter St Patricks Day Worksheets
- Pot of Gold Phonics – St patrick’s day activities for kindergarten
- St Patrick’s Day Alphabet Rainbow Matching
- Alphabetical Order St Patricks Day Printable Activity
- Pre-writing, Tracing St Patrick’s Day Preschool Printables
- Find the Letter St Patrick’s Day Worksheets
- Saint Patricks Day Shamrock Syllables sorting activity
- Create-a-Word St Patrick’s Day spelling words activity
- Free March Writing Prompts with ruled lines
- March Writing Prompts Calendar
- Rainbow Rhyming Words Activity for March
- Free printable St Patricks Day Write the Room Literacy Activity
- Different sounds of y – Free printable St. Patrick’s Day Activities
- Reading Comprehension St Patrick’s Day Worksheets
- St Patricks Day Activity – Rhyming Donuts
- Rhyme and Dab St Patrick’s Day Printables
St patrick’s day math activities
- Count to 10 St.Patrick’s Day Printables or St Patricks Day worksheets for preschoolers
- Counting to 20 St Patrick’s Day Activities for preschoolers
- St patrick’s day puzzles printable free – counting 1-20
- Addition within 10 St Patrick’s Day Math craft
- BINGO- Free printable St Patricks Day Math Game
- Kindergarten Addition Strips – St Patrick’s Day Math Activities
- Symmetry St Patrick’s Day Drawings
- Pot of Gold St Patricks Day Math (3 different levels for pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders)
- Lucky Leprechaun Math Game learning factors
- Free St Patrick’s Day Math Worksheets
- Pot of Gold Place Value Activity & St Patrick’s Day Math Worksheets
- St Patrick’s Day Multiplication – Math Equation Mats
- Rainbow Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Pot of Gold St Patricks Day Math craft – addition within 30
- Hundreds Chart St Patricks Day Color by Number
- St Patricks Day Math for Preschoolers – Clover Patter Strips
- Rainbow Connect the Dots for preschoolers
- Simple Counting Puzzles Rainbow Activity for Toddlers
- Rainbow Printables – Shape Playdough Mats
St Patricks Day Science
- Rainbow in a Jar amazing density science experiment for kids of all ages to try this spring!
- Grow a Rainbow – simple St Patrick’s Day Science Experiments for young kids
- Easy Rainbow in a Jar with sugar experiment for kids
- Grow a Shamrock Science Experiment
- Frozen Eruptions Rainbow Science
- Grow a Rainbow Capillary Action Experiment
- Color Mixing Science St Patricks Day Activity
- St Patricks Day Science with SKITTLES
- Kids will love this Leprechaun Rock activity. It is an easy, fun science experiment for St Patricks Day.
St Patricks Day Activities
- Leprechaun Slime St Patricks Day Activity
- Pot of Gold Slime St Patricks Day Activities
- Green Contact Solution Slime
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime St Patrick’s Day Activities
- SLIME St Patrick’s Day activities for school age
- Color Hunt St Patricks Day Activity for Toddlers
- Flecks of gold St Patricks Day Playdough
St Patricks Crafts
- Simple and cute, Mr Lucky Shamrock Craft Ideas
- Super cute St Patricks Day Craft for Preschoolers (free templates)
- Easy Rainbow Cloud Craft for toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age kids
- Lots of fun St Patrick’s Day Preschool Crafts
- Handprint Rainbow Craft for St. Patrick’s Day
- St patricks day art for kindergarten with kids own hands
- Hanging St Patricks Day Rainbow Craft
- Hanging Rainbow Craft
- Pot of Gold Craft for kids to practice making their name
St Patrick’s Day Printables
- Learn about Ireland for Kids with these free printable books to read and color
- I Spy St Patrick’s Day Printables
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable Template Color Matching Game
- Ireland Coloring Pages for kids
- Free Printable St Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt for kids
- Grab this March Stories for Kids Printable Calendar with books and activities for every day of the month!
- St Patrick’s Day Printables for preschoolers
- Free St Patricks Day Printable Posters
- Lots of fun-to-read St Patrick’s Day Books for Preschoolers
- Simple, Free St Patrick’s Day Coloring Pages
- See lots more ideas to fill your St Patricks Day Lesson plan or with these St Patrick’s Day activities for preschoolers
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
Free st patrick’s day printables
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!