Kids are going to love this really fun Frozen Rainbow Eruptions science activity where kids will make beautiful rainbows as they create a chemical reaction! This baking soda and vinegar experiment! This rainbow activities for preschoolers usese a couple simple materials for a mesmerizing, colorful preschool summer activity! Use this rainbow science with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders.
Rainbow activities for preschoolers
- 3-4″ containers (we used these No Spill Paint Cups but anything similar works
- plastic wrap
- powdered tempura paint
- baking soda (1 tablespoon per color)
- squirt bottle (optional)
Preschool Summer Activity
Rainbow Science Experiment
Line up the containers in a row with one container that has red paint, one with orange, one with yellow, one with green, one with blue, one with purple. In other words, we are mkaing a rainbow.
Now squirt vinegar over top for a chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar which will create a beautiful rainbow all over the sides with colors intermixing.
This is such a simple and easy kids science activity that is also a chemical reaction! When an acid (vinegar) and a base (baking soda) mix they form a gas called carbon dioxide. The bubbles come from the escaping carbon dioxide. Your kids just see a bubbling, expanding colorful liquid that elicites squeals of delight. But they are learning as they explore and play!
rainbow activities for toddlers
It’s pretty, but best outside as it will bubble and make colorful rivers as your kids play. When you are done, just spray off your driveway right away and it all washes away. Just make sure you get washable tempera (don’t’ know that there is any other kind… but wanted to mention it just in case 😉
Rainbow Science Experiment
You can add more paint or vinegar as you like to keep the action happening.
Try putting the colors in a cirlce and seeing what happens when red and blue mix together, blue and yellow mix together, and red and yellow mix together. This is an engaging color mixing activity too! the top if you need more pics.
Summer activities for kids
This is such a fun, memorable, and beautiful summer activity for kids of all ages. Just keep ading more paint, baking soda, and vinegar until you get the colors and patterns your child likes. It’s loads of fun to play during nice warm, summer days!
Baking soda and vinegar experiment
There are so many fun ways to play and teach kids about chemical reactions using a baking soda and vinegar reaction. Here are some of our favorite baking soda and vinegar activities.
- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BLAST OFF! Rocket Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Look Inside a Volcano Experiment for Kids
- Science Play – Dinosaur Activities for Preschoolers
- Glitter Volcano Pretty Science Experiment
- Science Powered Boats with Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Dancing Candy Canes Science Project
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Melting Christmas Tree – Christmas science experiments
- Fizzing Gingerbread Science Experiment
- Snow Volcano Experiment
- Melting Snowballs Winter Science Experiment
- Exploding Snowman Experiment
- Melting Snowan Winter Science Experiment
- Erupting Snowman Science
- Snow Science Experiments
- Valentines Day Science Love Potion
- Easy Dancing Hearts Science Experiment
- Leprechaun Rocks St Patricks Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Color Mixing St Patricks Day Activity for Toddlers
- Red White and Blue Science Experiments
Rainbow Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun rainbow activity ideas? Check these out!
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
- Rainbow Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Yarn Wrapped Rainbow Craft for Kids
- Paper Plate Rainbow Craft for Preschoolers
- Rainbow in a Jar Density Experiments
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- Delicious Rainbow Stem scienc with jelly beans
- Rainbow Handprint Craft
- Easy Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft for Spring
- Rainbow Toast makes a yummy snack!
- Super cute Rainbow Math with a DIY abacus activity
- Rainbow Painting with Cars Activity
- Free printable Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Craft Stick Rainbow Craft
- Rainbow Rhyming Activity for Kindergarten
- Rainbow Worksheets for kids
- Free Connect the Dot Rainbow Printable for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Rainbow Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Rainbow Playdough Shape Mat
- Lots of fun ideas in this Rainbow Preschool Theme
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!