How do you teach syllables? There are so many ways to get students to understand syllables. Today I will share a fun St Patricks Day Syllable Sort activity that is sure to be as fun as it is educational!
St Patricks Day Syllable Sort
These fun St Patricks Day Syllable Sort will be a hit with your students!
They are so easy to prepare and you don’t even need to laminate! You can choose to print in greyscale and use that for another group in your class.
If you are looking for another way to learn syllables, you will want to try this clever Syllable Counting Punch Cards.
Children learning their syllables often find it difficult to distinguish between the sounds – especially ESL/ELL kids. I find that these students will especially benefit from more syllable type activities.
A fun way to have kids identify the sounds is to get them clapping as they say the word for instance ‘ba’ clap ‘na’ clap ‘na’ clap. They count the claps and then they place the card under the correct number leprechaun.
This activity includes up to four syllables, there are some tricky words in there to get the kids thinking! The activity is set out to include the first page of shamrock words with one syllables, the second with two and so on and so forth. Once printed, you can cut them out and mix them up.
Differentiate: I like having a table of ELL kids start with identifying between one and two syllables, then I give them three syllables. I find that they are able to get the hang of it if the words are not too difficult. So you can definitely choose between which words you want to use with your students.
This fun activity gets the kids clapping and sorting their words under the correct syllable number!
- Download these cards (below).
- Print either the color or the black and white option. Use card stock or laminate the pages.
- Cut the cards out.
- Store them in a plastic sleeve or file folder.
- Place the word ‘shamrock’ cards in a basket.
- Place the leprechaun cards with the numbers at the top.
- Have the kids choose a card, read the word and then clap the syllables as they place the card under the correct number.
Ready to download the activity?
St Patricks Day Activities
- 7 St. Patrick’s Day Hand & Foot Crafts
- 38 St. Patrick’s Day Kids Activities
- St Patricks Day Rainbow Hand Art Craft
- Cute St Patricks Day Bead Neckalces
- Fun St Patricks Day Color Hunt
- St Patricks Day Syllable Sort
- Rainbow Painting with Cars
- FREE St Patricks Day Coloring Sheets
Download St Patricks Day Syllable Sort
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.