Kids are going to be wowed and amazed as they learn how to make rainbow crystals in this fun rainbow activity for kids! You can quickly and easily grow your own crystals with these fun spring activities for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade students. This borax crystals science project is perfect for celebrating spring, as a St Patricks day activity, or a rainbow activities for preschoolers.
How to make Rainbow Crystals
Did you know that making crystals with borax is actually really EASY! It only takes a couple simple materials and 1 day to grow your own crystals! This fun science project is simple so kids can enjoy the wonder of exploring and trying new things. This how to make rainbow crystals is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. Whether you are using this grow your own crystals for st patricks day science or a spring science – this is such a pretty rainbow activity for kids.
Building your own rainbow is a fun STEAM activity. That means this activity combines science, engineering, and art for a truly educational and FUN learning activity! So how does the science part work? You will be making a saturated soluiotn – it means the solution (water) is filled with as much powder (borax) as it can hold. The hotter the water the more of the solution can be completely mixed in and dissolved. Hot water makes the moecules move away from one another so the borax can join the party LOL. Cold water means close together molicules that don’t have room to absorb as much borax. The particles (borax) will settle on the pipe cleaners as it cools and pulls back out of the water forming crystals.
Planting a rainbow
To make this simple spring science experiment gather up these supplies you may even have on hand already!
- pipe cleaners
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 9 Tablespoons Borax (found with laundry detergent)
- large jar
- popsicle stick and yarn to hang the pipe cleaners
To grown your own crystal rainbow you will need to first decide if you are makin a complete rainbow semis circle or just the arch we typically see.
For making a complete rainbow you will line up a red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue /purple pipe cleaner. Tie a piece of yarn or string around the end to secure them together. If you are making a half rainbow arch you will cut your chenille sticks in half and then line them up as above and once again tie a strng around the end.
Rainbow Activities for Preschoolers
If you are making the complete rainbow you will now make the curved semi-circle shape and then tie a seperate piece of string to hold the rainbow in place on the other end too.
Rainbow Activities for Kids
Attach a piece of string or yarn to a popsicle stick (craft stick). Attach the other end to the string holding together the colorful pipe cleaners.
Spring Activities for Preschool
Now boil 3 cups of water in the microwave or in a saucepan. Add to 9 Tablespoons Borax (found with laundry detergent) to the water and stir until dissolved. Pour the HOT mixture into a jar that is large enough to fit the pipe cleaner (you will need a container for each).
Spring Activities for Kindergarten
Carefully lower the pipe cleaner rainbow into the solution so it is hanginginthesolution, but is not touching sides or bottom. The borax and water solution must cover the entire pipecleaner rainbow.
Now leave the borax crystal rainbow undisturbed for 24 hours.
Rainbow art ideas
Can you see all the borax crystals that have formed!
Now carefully pull out the rainbows to see the pretty borax crystals that have formed. Be careful not to disrupt the crystals that have grown on the pipe cleaners.
Rainbow Activity for Kindergarten
How beautiful is the crystal rainbow you grew! You can hang this on a window, mirror, etc to celebrate the arrival of springtime.
How gorgeous is this rainbow craft! And it is SO simple!
Rainbow Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun rainbow activity ideas? Check these out!
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- Delicious Rainbow Stem scienc with jelly beans
- Rainbow Handprint Craft
- Rainbow Toast makes a yummy snack!
- Super cute Rainbow Math with a DIY abacus activity
- Rainbow Painting with Cars Activity
- Free printable Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Craft Stick Rainbow Craft
- Rainbow Rhyming Activity for Kindergarten
- Rainbow Worksheets for kids
- Free Connect the Dot Rainbow Printable for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Rainbow Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Rainbow Playdough Shape Mat
- Lots of fun ideas in this Rainbow Preschool Theme
Spring Alphabet Printables
- Mowing the Lawn Spring Alphabet Game
- Spring Alphabet Worksheets for preschoolers
- Alphabet Kite Craft
- Free Printable Flower matching game for preschoolers
- Rainbow Spring Letter Tracing for kids
- Spring Flowers Letter Matching Printable for Upper and Lowercase Letters
- Rainy Day Find-the-Letter Spring Worksheets
- Raindrop Letters Matching activity for spring
- Hop to it! Frog alphabet matching game printable
Spring Language Arts
- Free Printable Flower rhyming words
- Bunny short i puzzles are a fun spring activities for kindergarten
- Cut, Paste, and Read Spring Sight words Reader
- April Showers Digraph Activities for second grade
- Spring sight words game
- free printable sight word worksheets for spring
- Spring vowel worksheets for kindergarten
- Spring CVC Words Activity
- Cut, Paste & Read Bug Free Printable SIght Word Books pdf
- Hands-on Caterpillar spring cvc words activity
- Printable spring bubble word family games
- April Writing Prompts Calendar
- Free May Writing Prompts Worksheets for K-4th graders
- Rhyming Words Spring Worksheets
- Simple, free Flower Rhyming Worksheets
- Printable Spring Emergent Reader
- Planting Carrots CVC Word Activity
- Frog free printable sight words games pdf
- Tulip spring rhyming words worksheet
- Carrot word family worksheets for kindergarten
Spring Math Activities
- Butterfly Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Free printable kite Skip Counting Craft
- Spring counting playdough mats
- Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Count to 10 Insect printables for preschoolers
- Fraction Flowers worksheets for kids
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar flashcards – numbers
- Bug Measuring Cards Free
- Raindrop counting activity for spring
- Spring carrot what comes next activity
- Flower free printable number bond worksheets for kindergarten
- Flower Tracing Numbers 1-30 pdf
- Spring Math Puzzles to work on counting and addition
Spring Math Activity
- Spring Counting Clip Cards
- Spring Birds, Free printable one to one correspondence activity with jelly beans
- Free printable missing number worksheets
- Spring Bunny counting number tracing cards
- Teen Number sense Flower Addition Worksheet
- Shape Flower Playdough Mats
- Printable Spring Tracing Worksheets
- Free Printable FLOWER shapes activities for kindergarten
- Vegetable counting from 1 to 10 clip cards activity
- Seeds Make 10 Addition Game
- Spring Addition Counting Clip Cards
- Kite Color Matching – free printable learning colors for toddlers game
- Free printable How to plant a seed step by step worksheet
- I Spy Farm Animals (great for visual discrimination & counting)
- Free Printable Spring Worksheets Preschool
- Backyard Critters Insect worksheets for kindergarten
- Spring color words worksheets using do-a-dot markers
- B is for Butterfly weekly theme
- Fun Ant activities for preschoolers (prek / k)
- I is for Inchworm activities for kids
- Match the Flower Worksheet for Kindergarten
- Spring lego challenge cards
- Fruit Loop Color Matching Umbrella Craft
- I Spy Spring
These science projects and spring science experiments are perfect for indoor or outdoor!
- How big is a Raindrop Experiment for kids
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Density water balloon science experiment
- Fun-to-Make, Beautiful Chromatography Butterflies for kids
- Vinegar and Baking soda Rocket Experiment
- Outrageously cool Lemon Clock project for kids
- Making butter in a jar experiment
- Balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Amazing Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
Spring Science Worksheets
These free science printables are a grea way to learn about the parts of a plant, plant life cycles, animal life cycles, to take along as zoo field trip worksheets, and more!
- Free Printable Parts of a Plant Flipbook
- LOTS of Gardening with Kids tips and information
- Plant Life Cycle Worksheets and Observation Book
- Life Cycle of a Plant Worksheet Pack
- Hatching Butterflies Observation Book
- Printable Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet free
- Free Earthworm life cycle worksheet
- Nature Walk Activity Sheet
- Frog Life Cycle for Kids spinner activity
- Free printable Life Cycle of a Frog Worksheet
- Seasons on the Farm Printable
- Free Zoo fieldtrip worksheet
- Printable Animal Habitat Game
- Insect Life Cycle printable books
Spring Crafts for Preschoolers
Your kids are going to want to try these fun springtime craft projects.
- 30 DIY Bird Feeder projects to make with kids this springtime
- Gingho Leaf Umbrella Craft
- Bubble Wrap Umbrella Craft Preschool
- Cute toilet paper roll bunny crafts for kids
- 40 Earth Day Crafts
- Easy Impressionism for Kids spring art project
- Pasta Butterfly Craft
- Pop-up Butterfly Crafts for preschoolers
Flower Crafts for Kids
- 100 Beautiful Flowers Crafts for Kids to Make
- Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Celery Painted Tulip Flower Craft
- Beautiful Painted Flower Craft Ideas
- Felt Board Flower Craft
- Splatter Art Flower Craft for Kids
- Fine Motor Bead Flower Craft for Preschoolers
- How to Make a Flower Crown
- Cute printable flower craft for mothers day
- Super cute Printable Flower Craft for working on name recognition
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
Spring Activities for Kids
- Colorful Snake Bubble Activity for kids
- Spring pasta craft for kids
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Find monthly resources such are our March Crafts for kids or our March Activities for Kids!
- Check out our April Crafts for kids or our April Activities for Kids!
- Don’t miss these May Crafts for kids or our May Activities for Kids!
- Let’s ease into summer on June 21st with these June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT bubbles