We are starting our hands on bug unit by learning about ants for kids. Make a cute ant craft that helps kids understand the importance of all the apendages or the colony inside that ant hill, plus lots of ant activities, insect printables, ant life cycle, and lots of other fun ideas! This ant lesson plant is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders too.
Ants lesson plan for preschool
My kids have a natural fascination with creepy crawly bugs, so for our science we dove into an insect unit to explore the amazing bugs around us. First up, the amazing, underrated ants1 We did lots of ant activities for preschoolers including ant crafts preschool, science activities, ant life cycles, printables, and so much more! This ants for kids lesson is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students too. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love these ant activity ideas!
Ant activities for preschoolers
Kids will have fun learning about the ant life cycle with these hands-on manipulatives for kids learning about bugs. With my older kids we talked about the life cycle of an ant with these free ant life cycle printables
We learned about an ant’s life cycle in the book Ant Cities and then the kids got to interact with the different stages with the Ant Life Cycle Stages. It really helped them to visualize & understand the stages. We put them in order and then Tinker Bell (almost 2) got to play with them.
Ant activities for kindergarten
We put ants in our ant farm and observed them building tunnels – so cool!
We drew an ant hill and the tunnels inside. Then we made fingerprint ants going up the hill and inside the ant. we added ants in the different lifecycle stages, the larger queen ant, and labeled them. (My kids tell me this was their favorite part).
Ant Craft Preschool
We made spoon ants by painting spoons black and then wrapping pipe cleaners around the spoons to make legs & antennae. We added some googly eyes and WHALA – we have our own, super cute ANTS!
How Do Ants Walk for Kids
Learn how ants walk with this simple ant lesson. Put 6 legs (toothpicks) in Play Dough to see how ants balance. Then we tried pulling out different toothpicks until we found the maximum number of toothpicks we could pull out and have the ant still balance. You can pull out 3 toothpicks (the middle on one side along with the front & back on the other row). That is how an ant balances when they walk. They pull up those legs, balance, move forward, and repeat on the opposite legs.
Ant activities for toddlers
We had the classic Ants on a Log (with a twist). I didn’t have any raisins on hand so I used some mini chocolate chips we had laying around – YUM!
Earlier (in one of our many travels this year) we got a chance to see GIANT Bugs at a zoo. There were GIANT bugs, information, a HUGE ant farm, chances to interact with actual bugs, and even a chance to eat bugs! Yep, the kids ate a bug – they said it tasted like cereal!
NOTE: If you live in or near St. Paul, Minnesota make sure you pop over the the Children’s Museum so your kids can crawl inside an HUGE ant hill replica. It is amazingly FUN! New Orleands has an amazing Insect museum too.
Ants Movie Night for Kids – Disney’s A Bug’s Life
And we finished up our unit by watching Disney’s A Bug’s Life movie. Such a fun movie! This was actually at our local park district and included interacting with actual bugs during intermission!
Insect activities for preschoolers
If are looking for more bug activities for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners – including lots of free insect printables, you will love these FREE resources:
- Peek-a-Bug Insect Alphabet Printable – four abc games to help kids learn their ABCs, match upper and lowercase letters, and more!
- Ladybug Ladybug Activities for Preschoolers activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Bug Free printable sight word games is a simple-to-play way to practice sight words with preschool, kindergarten, and first grade students
- I is for Inchworm insect activities including a worm observation book
- Stamped Potato Bee Craft for spring
- Cute Spider Name Craft
- Firefly Preschool Counting Worksheets
- Gummy Worm Edible Slime
- Fun, hands-on Spiders Activities for Preschoolers Activities
- Quick-and-Easy Spider Slime
- All About Earthworm Life Cycle Worksheets
- Insect Printables for Preschoolers 1-10 Coloring Book for preschoolers
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheet Pages
- Bug color by blend worksheet – Coloring by Blends
- Free printable Life Cycle of a Spider for Kids worksheets
- Ladybug Life cycle for Kids worksheets
- Life Cycle of a Mosquito Printables
- Free Bee Counting Game
- Lots of fun, hands-on learning ideas in this Free Insect Activities for Preschoolers
- Bee and Insect Theme Preschool
- SUPER cute Spider math activities for preschoolers with Playdough Mats
- Fun, Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Activity for Pre-k and Kindergarten
- Ladybug Addition Math Game for Kindergartners and Grade 1 students
- Bug free printable sight word books pdf – children will cut and paste sentences, color the insect coloring pages, and practice reading sight words
- Free Printable, Simple Bug Coloring Pages for kids
- Shape Spider Worksheets Preschool and Kindergarten
- Insect Worksheets to learn about lots of different bugs in our world
- Practice Letters A-Z with these Free Insect Printables
Insect Printables for Kids
- Learn all about ants with these creative ant activities for preschoolers
- Bug Math Worksheets for pre-k and kindergarten students
- Cute Bug Counting Bugs Worksheet
- Measuring Lines of Bugs Preschool Measurement Worksheets
- Count and Clip Bugs Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Buzzing Bees Numbers 1-12 Worksheets
- I Spy Printables pdf – bug activity sheets
- Bee CVC Words Activity for Kids
- Bug Themed Find the letter worksheets pdf
- FUN Backyard Critter Bug Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Ladybug Counting Mats
- Silly Worm Count to 10 Sticker Worksheets
- Free Printable Insect Mini Book to learn about bug life cycles
- Hands-on Spider Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Free, Educational Insect Coloring Pages pdf for kids
- Help children work on spelling their name with these insect free printable name recognition activities
- Plus don’t miss these fun-to-read bug books for preschool
Leave a Reply