This super cute first grade and kindergarten addition game is perfect for spring! In Ladybug Math, kindergartners and grade 1 students will work on memorizing doubles addition facts to improve math fluency. This Addition Math Game is such a fun way for young learners to practice adding while having fun with this spring theme. Simply download pdf file with addition doubles facts and you are ready to play and learn with a fun spring activity for kids!
While I am generally not a proponent of memorizing math facts, there are some facts that are important and helpful to know because they aid students in problem solving strategies and form a solid foundation for later learning. When working on addition, knowing and easily recalling the doubles addition facts helps with number sense and fluency, and can then be used to solve harder problems. This super cute ladybug addition is a fun ladybug math activity for spring! This kindergarten addition game includes both a addition matching game as well as addition worksheets to reinforce the concept with a cute ladybug printable.
Kindergarten addition game
This spring themed addition game will help your kids master the doubles facts and practice the “doubles +1” addition strategy!
Included in this Ladybug Doubles Addition Practice Pack:
- Ladybug matching game (doubles from 1-9)
- Ladybug addition practice page
- “Doubles +1” strategy page and practice
Doubles Addition Facts
The first pages in this download are cute ladybug matching cards, because practicing by playing games is so much more fun!
- To set it up, simply print the cards on card stock or scrapbook paper so they are not see through and then laminate for durability.
- Then cut out the cards and you’re ready to play!
To play, simply lay the cards out in rows, face down. Players then take turns flipping two cards. If they find a match between a ladybug and a math equation, they must solve the problem.
(For example, they must match the “2 + 2 =” card to the ladybug showing 2 spots plus 2 spots. They would then say, “2 + 2 = 4.”)
If they do not solve the problem correctly, they must replace the cards. Players take turns looking for matches and solving the problems until no cards remain. The player with the most matches wins!
Ladybug Addition Worksheet
Students use the picture of the ladybug to write an addition sentence and then solve the problem. This page includes addition facts within 20. And finally, after practicing addition and mastering the doubles addition facts, you can introduce your kids to the “doubles + 1” addition strategy. The point of this strategy is to use known facts (such as 7+7) to solve unknown problems (such as 7+8). In other words, if your child knows that 7 + 7 = 14, then they can solve 7 + 8 as 7 + 7 + 1. This would be 14 + 1 = 15. (Hence the name, “Doubles + 1.”).
Doubles in math first grade
The key to this is helping kids see when to use this strategy. The fact page gives one example, but take some time looking at lots of different examples and ask your child how they can use what they know to figure out what they don’t know. And try to let them think through and explain it in their own words rather than trying to get them to repeat things back word for word (because that’s just more memorizing).
For example, give them the problem 6 + 5.
Now, since we have called this the “doubles + 1 ” strategy, you can solve it using “5 + 5 = 10” and then add 1. But your child might see that it is also just as true to add 6 + 6 and then subtract 1. And that’s great! There’s always more than one way to solve a math problem, so encourage thinking, discussing and problem solving! I hope you find this ladybug math pack to be not only a fun way to practice but also a tool to help your child with addition strategies! Looking for more addition practice? You may like these number bond addition coloring pages!
Addition for kindergarten
- Hundreds Battleship Game
- Addition Printable Mini Book (Adding 0-12)
- Apple Number Bonds Activity
- Cootie Catcher Math Game
- Deck of Cards: Addition Practice
- Firefly Catch Math Game (addition/subtraction)
- Ladybug Addition Game
- Gumball Math: Addition & Subtraction
- Tic-Tac-Toe Math Game
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition
- Goldfish Addition Practice
- Seeds Addition Game
Insect activities for preschoolers
If are looking for more bug activities for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners – including lots of free insect printables, you will love these FREE resources:
- Peek-a-Bug Alphabet Games – four abc games to help kids learn their ABCs, match upper and lowercase letters, and more!
- Ladybug Alphabet Matching activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Bug Sight Word Game is a simple-to-play way to practice sight words with preschool, kindergarten, and first grade students
- I is for Inchworm insect activities including a worm observation book
- Potato Stamped Bee Craft for Kids
- FUN Spider Slime Recipe
- Fun, hands-on Spiders for Kids Activities
- All About Worm Worksheets
- Counting Bugs 1-10 Coloring Book for preschoolers
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheet Pages
- Free Spider LIfe of a Spider for Kids
- Bee Preschool Counting Game
- Lots of fun, hands-on learning ideas in this Bug THeme
- Bee and Insect Theme for Preschoolers
- SUPER cute Spider Counting Activity with Playdough Mats
- Fun, Insect Telling Time Puzzle
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Game for Pre-k and Kindergarten
- Ladybug Addition Math Game for Kindergartners and Grade 1 students
- Bug Sight Word Reader – children will cut and paste sentences, color the insect coloring pages, and practice reading sight words
- Free Printable, Simple Bug Coloring Pages for kids
- Practice Letters A-Z with these Free Printable Insect Worksheets
- Learn all about ants with these creative ant activities for kids
- Cute Bug Number Worksheets
- Measuring Lines of Bugs Preschool Measurement Worksheets
- Count and Clip Bugs Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Buzzing Bees Numbers 1-12 Worksheets
- I Spy Bugs Activity Sheets
- Bug Themed Alphabet FInd and Color
- FUN Backyard Critter Bug Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Ladybug Counting Mats
- Silly Worm Count to 10 with stickers
- Hands-on Spider Shape Matching Activity
Addition doubles facts
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.