Learning letters doesn’t have to mean that your child sits silently reading and writing the same thing over and over and over again. Nope. Developing early literacy skills can be fun, creative and even exciting. How?
Painted Alphabet Art for Kids
Your child is learning the letters. Taking the lessons up a notch or two and getting artsy with the alphabet can draw your child into the subject matter in a way that other methods may not. Okay, so no one is saying that this is a magic fix or an instant way for your child to suddenly learn everything there is to know about the alphabet. But, it is a creative way to help your child learn the content at hand.
Your child will learn and explore:
- Letter recognition and identification
- Color recognition
- Fine motor skills – eye-hand coordination
- Sensory exploration – sight, touch
- Science – exploring how water mixes with paint
Arts and Crafts Materials
- Card stock paper
- A marker
- Water color paints
- A thin paintbrush
- Craft felt
- Clear-drying school glue
Place the letter on a second piece of card stock.
Paint around it. Your child can paint over it, while holding the letter down.
Remove the letter to reveal it’s negative image. Now she has a letter in the middle of her painting.
Cut pieces of craft felt. Your child can use scraps that are left over from other projects, making this into a reuse and recycle activity.
Glue the felt onto the letter, creating a sensory/texture artwork.
Art Activity Extensions
Your child doesn’t have to stop at one letter. She can also draw several different letters, eventually putting the pieces of art together to make a word. As your child continues to make art letters, she can string them into sentences. Another option is to change up the sensory aspect of the activity. Instead of using craft felt, try glitter and glue, a tissue paper collage or colorful craft sand.
Crafts Ideas for KidsLooking for more craft projects for kids? Check out these fun ideas!
- Paper Roll Bunny Craft
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
- These tin foil art projects are fun-to-make and so pretty!
- Folded Paper Elephant Craft Bookmark
- Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Creative Pipe Cleaner Crafts kids will want to make
- Stunning Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft
- Bubble Wrap Painting Rain Craft
- Outrageously Cute Googly Eye Crafts
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Suncatcher Craft
- Star Wars Crafts that are from a galaxy far, far away
- Super cute Thing 1 and Thing 2 Craft
- Must-try Popsicle Stick Crafts
- Over 100 Fun Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super fun Spin Art Flower Craft for Kids
- This Monet art project for kids is a fun way to introduce famous artists for kids with a stunning project!
- Lovely Coffee Filter Crafts for kids
- Check out these toilet paper roll crafts
- Try these paper plate crafts for all occasions
- Clever Fall Crafts for Kids
- Silly Monster Crafts for kids of all ages
- Cute Handprint Alphabet Crafts from A to Z
- Letter Crafts sorted A-Z
- Learn your letters with these free printable alphabet crafts