You are going to love this super cute and easy-to-make Bumble Bee Craft for toddler, preschool, pre k, and kindergarten age children! It uses a classic potato stamping technique to get some really pretty bubble bees in this insect craft for kids.
Bumble Bee Craft
Chances are, you have seen a bumble bee flying around in your yard or at the park. Bumble bees are quite easy to spot with their stunning alternating rings of yellow and black. Bumble bees are an important part of the planet’s biodiversity. They are known as pollinators. A pollinator takes pollen from one plant to another. In doing so, pollinators help produce fruits and vegetables! That makes it important to protect the bumble bees whenever we can. This super cute bumble bee craft is a fun activity to spark a dialogue on the importance of bees. Lets save the bees.
This Bumble Bee Craft for kids is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarten, and first grade students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this beautiful bug craft for kids to go along with a B is for bee letter of the week craft, insect theme, bee theme, or just a fun summer art project for kids of al ages.
Bee Craft for Kids
Let’s make our own bumble bees using a potato stamp! You will need the following materials to make your own bumble bee crafts:
- Yellow and black acrylic paint
- Cardstock (or thick construction paper)
- Googly eyes
- Black marker
Bee Craft Ideas
To make your bee craft start by cutting your potato in half at the widest part. You will now have two pieces of potato. Now take one half and further cut it in half. These are the ends or the black parts of the bumble bee! See picture for more detail. Then, use the remaining half of the potato to create the yellow center portion of the bee.
Bumble Bee Crafts for Toddlers
Next, slice two parallel cuts into the potato about half an inch apart. (You are creating a rectangular shape.) Remove the sides by cutting perpendicular into the potato, meeting the parallel cuts. You will be creating a rectangular shape/stamp in the potato to use for the yellow stripe on the bee. See picture for more detail. Finally, grab the paint! Squirt yellow and black paint onto a piece of cardboard or disposable plate. Be sure to squirt enough to thoroughly cover the potato stamp.
Bumble Bee Arts and Crafts
This can be done I any order. However, it worked well starting out with the rectangular piece of potato or the yellow section.
- Place the rectangular portion of the potato in yellow paint. Apply to the cardstock or thick construction paper.
- Working outward, add the black sections.
- Place a googly eye on one end of the bee.
- Use a marker to create antenna!
You now have adorable bumble bees! Fly them around and enjoy your creations!
Bee Activities for Kids
- Bee Counting Game
- National Honey Bee Day Activities for August 17th
- B is for Bee Handprint art
- Sorting letters with curves and no curves Bee Activity for Preschoolers
- Bee Number 1-12 Worksheets
- Sorinting bees – Bee Printable Visual Discrimination
- Ten Frame Bee Math
- Bee Theme for Preschoolers
- Rhyming Match Beehive Jive
- Potato Stamped Bumble Bee Craft
- Beatitudes Bee Craft and activity
- Letter B Printable Weekly Theme for Preschoolers
Insect activities for preschoolers
If are looking for more bug activities for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners – including lots of free insect printables, you will love these FREE resources:
- Peek-a-Bug Insect Alphabet Printable – four abc games to help kids learn their ABCs, match upper and lowercase letters, and more!
- Ladybug Ladybug Activities for Preschoolers activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Bug Free printable sight word games is a simple-to-play way to practice sight words with preschool, kindergarten, and first grade students
- I is for Inchworm insect activities including a worm observation book
- Stamped Potato Bee Craft for spring
- Cute Spider Name Craft
- Firefly Preschool Counting Worksheets
- Gummy Worm Edible Slime
- Fun, hands-on Spiders Activities for Preschoolers Activities
- Quick-and-Easy Spider Slime
- All About Earthworm Life Cycle Worksheets
- Insect Printables for Preschoolers 1-10 Coloring Book for preschoolers
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheet Pages
- Bug color by blend worksheet – Coloring by Blends
- Free printable Life Cycle of a Spider for Kids worksheets
- Ladybug Life cycle for Kids worksheets
- Life Cycle of a Mosquito Printables
- Free Bee Counting Game
- Lots of fun, hands-on learning ideas in this Free Insect Activities for Preschoolers
- Bee and Insect Theme Preschool
- SUPER cute Spider math activities for preschoolers with Playdough Mats
- Fun, Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Activity for Pre-k and Kindergarten
- Ladybug Addition Math Game for Kindergartners and Grade 1 students
- Bug free printable sight word books pdf – children will cut and paste sentences, color the insect coloring pages, and practice reading sight words
- Free Printable, Simple Bug Coloring Pages for kids
- Shape Spider Worksheets Preschool and Kindergarten
- Insect Worksheets to learn about lots of different bugs in our world
- Practice Letters A-Z with these Free Insect Printables
Insect Printables for Kids
- Learn all about ants with these creative ant activities for preschoolers
- Bug Math Worksheets for pre-k and kindergarten students
- Cute Bug Counting Bugs Worksheet
- Measuring Lines of Bugs Preschool Measurement Worksheets
- Count and Clip Bugs Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Buzzing Bees Numbers 1-12 Worksheets
- I Spy Printables pdf – bug activity sheets
- Bee CVC Words Activity for Kids
- Bug Themed Find the letter worksheets pdf
- FUN Backyard Critter Bug Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Ladybug Counting Mats
- Silly Worm Count to 10 Sticker Worksheets
- Free Printable Insect Mini Book to learn about bug life cycles
- Hands-on Spider Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Free, Educational Insect Coloring Pages pdf for kids
- Help children work on spelling their name with these insect free printable name recognition activities
- Plus don’t miss these fun-to-read bug books for preschool