Use this fun spring addition as an engaging addition games for kindergarten! Preschoolers and kindergartners will have fun working on addition to 10 with this fun butterfly math! Simply download pdf file with butterfly addition and you are ready for a cute, free printable, spring activities for kindergarten!
As children work their way through pre-k and kindergartener curriculum, they will learn to add single digit numbers. Many children, with a great number sense, can figure simple addition problems out easily. Others need extra support with lots of visuals like these addition mats. This butterfly addition allows children to work on adding numbers to 10 with a fun spring math activity! Use these cute addition mats for kindergarten to make practicing fun in your spring theme. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love that this kindergarten math activity that requires NO PREP. Use this at home as extra practice, in the classroom as part of a spring math center, extra practice, homework, summer learning, or any other way your students could use the practice.
Print the pages in color on card stock paper or plain paper. Next, laminate the addition mats to not only make them durable, but also so you can use a dry erase marker to complete the math activity for kindergartners.
Addition games for kindergarten
These cards are very simple to use. And once they are laminated you can use them over and over to practice adding….which is much better than using a worksheet over and over.
The first step is to have the children count up the yellow butterflies, and then write that number in the first square.
Next, the children will count the pink butterflies and write that number in the second box. Finally, it is time to add. Once the children figure out the answer they write that number in the last box.
Addition Games Kindergarten
After counting up each set of butterflies, children may struggle to figure out what the answer is. In this case, you can show them two different ways of adding.
One easy and simple way is to explain to the child that adding is finding the sum. It is figuring out how many objects there are altogether.
Using that language while explaining to a little one that they simply have to count up all the butterflies is a wonderful way to build background knowledge. With that background knowledge, they will be more successful when it comes time for word problems.
These task cards don’t have a ton of butterflies, so counting each one isn’t a bid deal. But as numbers get larger, you don’t want a child to only be able to count all the objects to figure out the answer.
Counting on is a great strategy…..and it will help them with subtraction too!!
Here’s how to do it:
- Ask them how many yellow butterflies there are. If they can’t remember, point to the first number they wrote down.
- Next, ask them what number comes after the number you just pointed to. (Example: If there are three yellow butterflies, the next number is four.)
- Finally, begin counting the pink butterflies starting with that number.
Enjoy some springtime, and getting some extra adding practice.
Addition for kindergarten
- Hundreds Battleship Game
- Addition Printable Mini Book (Adding 0-12)
- Apple Number Bonds Activity
- Cootie Catcher Math Game
- Deck of Cards: Addition Practice
- Firefly Catch Math Game (addition/subtraction)
- Ladybug Addition Game
- Gumball Math: Addition & Subtraction
- Tic-Tac-Toe Math Game
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition
- Goldfish Addition Practice
- Seeds Addition Game
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
Spring Activities for kindergarten
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Pretty Cherry Blossom Craft for Spring
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
Download Butterfly Spring Addition Mats
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.