Celebrate Saint Patricks Day with this fun leprechaun rocks activity. This Leprechaun Rocks Science Experiment is an engaging way for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students to play and explore with a st patricks day activity in March. This st patricks day science is a fun baking soda and vinegar expermient which produces a fun WOW experinece for little learners!
Leprechauns are tricky when it comes to hiding their gold. Hiding at the end of the rainbow is not enough. So even if you get to the end of the rainbow, you won’t find a pile of gold. Nope, they would never make it that easy. But if you search about you might discover some suspicious green rocks – leprechaun rocks. With this leprechaun rocks science experiment you will learn the secret science behind how to get the Leprechaun to reveal their gold. When I told my kids this Leprechaun story they were wide eyed with wonder! They couldn’t wait to uncover the science secret and discover some gold. This st patricks day activity is fun for kids of all ages from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students! Try this st patrick’s day science experiments for a little learning and a LOT of FUN this St Patrick’s Day with Kids!
Leprechaun rocks science experiment
This fun st patrick’s day activities for toddlers only requires a few simple materials to make the magic leprechaun rocks. But the st patrick’s day activities for preschoolers will WOW kids and elementary age students will remember this fun activity for years to come!
- Baking Soda
- Green Food Coloring
- Small syringes (think of the type that come with baby medication) or pipettes
- Plastic coins
- Dish soap
- Large dish
- Parchment paper
- Access to a freezer
You may also want to consider rubber gloves and safety glasses. The vinegar can sting any little owies on the fingers and you definitely don’t want to get it in the eyes.
Science Behind Leprechaun Rocks
This is a traditional baking soda and vinegar reaction that causes the release of CO2. The reaction mixes with the soap which creates a wonderful foam that is a great sensory exploration.
St patricks day activity
Start by adding one box of baking soda to a bowl. Carefully add a few drops of green food coloring.
I highly recommend you wear gloves for this part as you will color your hands!
Mix in the green food coloring until the baking soda is evenly colored. Add more as necessary.
Add in a bit of water, just half a teaspoon at a time, and mix until you create a thick paste. It should just start to stick together without crumbling.
Now cup your hand and add a scoop of the paste, place some coins in the middle, then add a bit more paste to cover the coins and shape it like a rock. Place it on the parchment paper.
Once all your rocks are made, place them in the freezer for at least 2 hours so they can set. Note they will look blue when frozen but will turn back to green once the reaction starts.
Magic leprechaun rocks
Once you are ready to do the activity, I recommend draping the area with a plastic cloth, this can get messy!
Place a large dish or bowl on the table, dribble some dish soap in the bottom and place your rock in the dish.
Provide a cup of vinegar and the syringe. Have the child carefully start to squirt the rocks and watch what happens! Continue squirting until all the coins are revealed.
St patricks day science
The resulting foam and searching through it for the coins and treasures is a fantastic sensory experience, but it does get messy!
Continue adding vinegar and see how much foam you can create!
St patrick’s day activities for kids
Then maybe send your Leprechaun for a little swim. He did work hard collecting all that treasure!
St patricks day for kids
Free St Patrick’s Day Printables
Looking for more fun, free saint patricks day printable ideas and activities for March? You will love these free resources for toddler, preschool, and kindergarten age students.:
- Hands-ton St Patrick’s Day Counting Activity with free printable
- St patrick’s day for preschoolers Cute activity pages
- Work on pre-writing skills with these cute, Free St Patrick’s Day Printables Tracing Strips
- Color by Letter St Patricks Day Worksheets
- Leprechaun Hat Letter Tracing St Patrick’s Day Printables
- Rainbow Alphabet Matching St Patrick’s Day Activities
- Use Fruit Loop cereal to make a rainbow with these St Patrick’s day Printables
- Count and Trace with this fun and free St patrick’s day preschool activities
- St Patrick’s Day Color by Number Worksheets to work on number recognition while revealing cute hidden mystery pictures
- Find the Letter St Patricks Day Worksheets
- Count to 20 Puzzles for March
- Counting to 20 Puzzles are a fun St Patrick’s Day Preschool Activities
- St Patricks Day for Kindergarten counting with ten frames
- Pot of Gold St Patrick Day Activities – working on sorting beginning letter sounds coins by the correct pot of gold letter
- St Patricks Day Math Craft
- St Patrick’s Day Color by Number Hundreds Chart
- Addition St Patrick’s Day Worksheets – add and dab the lucky clover with a cute Leprechaun
- Work on Addition within 20 with this Craft kids will make from St Patricks Day Math Worksheets
- Free st patrick day printables Addition BINGO makes practicing math FUN – print in color or black and white!
- Pot of Gold Addition Game
St patrick’s day printables
For elementary age students, check out these fun, hands-on printable activities for St Patricks Day.
- Learn about Ireland for Kids with these free printable books or these Ireland Coloring Pages to read, color, and learn!
- Pot of Gold Math St Patricks Day Activity
- Rainbow Read, Rhyme and Dab St Patricks Day Activity
- Work on early literacy skills with this Rhyming Rainbows St Patricks Day for Kindergarten
- Create-a-Word Spelling St Patricks Day Worksheets
- Work on reading comprehension with these St Patricks Day Worksheets
- Fun, Free Printable Place Value Games for St Patrick’s Day
- Practice Factors with this FREE Printable Lucky Leprechaun Games
- St. Patrick’s Day Math Equation Mats are a fun hands-on math activity for elementary age students to work on addition, subtractions, multiplication and Division this spring!
- Practice sorting by syllables with these Free St Patrick’s Day Printables
- St Patricks Day Addition Math Crafts for 1st Grade
- Free Printable March Writing Prompts or these calendar march writing prompts
St Patrick’s Day Activities
Looking for some cute St patricks day crafts or clever st patricks day activities, don’t miss these fun ideas:
- Super FUN Leprechaun Rocks Science Experiment
- Pot of Gold Craft with fun name recognition activity
- St Patrick’s Day Color by Numbers Printable Hat
- Rainbow Handprint St Patrick’s Day Craft for Kids
- 30+ Creative St Patrick’s Day Craft for Kids
- Over 40 EPIC St Patricks Day Activities
- 7 Cute Handprint St Patrick’s Day Crafts for Preschoolers
- Color Hunt St Patricks Day Ideas for Toddlers
- Lucky Clover St Patrick’s Day Crafts for Toddlers
- Stamping Clovers St Patricks Day Shamrock Craft
- Rainbow Easy St Patrick’s Day Crafts
- Super Cute Hanging Rainbow St Patrick’s Day Crafts for Toddlers
- Whip up a batch of this lovely green contact solution slime
- Pick up some new favorite St patricks day books for kids
Or take a peak at this weeks worth of activities in our St Patrick’s Theme , this St Patrick’s Day theme Preschool, or all our ideas to celebrate with st patrick’s day activities for kids of all ages!
You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Exploding Watermelon science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- You will love this colorful Walking Water Experiment
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Experiment
- Why does it Float? Density Experiment for Kids
- Kids will be amazes as you change dyed flowers experiment
- Wow your kids with this fun growing crystals for kids
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers Science Project
- Some of our other all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are pop rocks experiment
- Super cool science experiments with balloons and water.
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- kids will be amazed with this learn how to make a battery project
- Learn more about animals with these free printable my animal report forms
- Simple why do leaves change color in the fall science project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a volcano project
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Easy-to-Make Air Pressure Experiments
- Amazing, heat sensitive, color changing slime
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Science Experiment
- 100 Incredible Food Experiments for kids (arranged by type of science)
- This super cool DIY Zipline is made from Lego!
- Epic Life Size Human Body Project