Celebrate Saint Patricks Day with this fun leprechaun rocks activity. This Leprechaun Rocks Science Experiment is an engaging way for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students to play and explore with a st patricks day activity in March. This st patricks day science is a fun baking soda and vinegar expermient which produces a fun WOW experinece for little learners!
Leprechauns are tricky when it comes to hiding their gold. Hiding at the end of the rainbow is not enough. So even if you get to the end of the rainbow, you won’t find a pile of gold. Nope, they would never make it that easy. But if you search about you might discover some suspicious green rocks – leprechaun rocks. With this leprechaun rocks science experiment you will learn the secret science behind how to get the Leprechaun to reveal their gold. When I told my kids this Leprechaun story they were wide eyed with wonder! They couldn’t wait to uncover the science secret and discover some gold. This st patricks day activity is fun for kids of all ages from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students! Try this st patrick’s day science experiments for a little learning and a LOT of FUN this St Patrick’s Day with Kids!
Leprechaun rocks science experiment
This fun st patrick’s day activities for toddlers only requires a few simple materials to make the magic leprechaun rocks. But the st patrick’s day activities for preschoolers will WOW kids and elementary age students will remember this fun activity for years to come!
- Baking Soda
- Green Food Coloring
- Small syringes (think of the type that come with baby medication) or pipettes
- Plastic coins
- Dish soap
- Large dish
- Parchment paper
- Access to a freezer
You may also want to consider rubber gloves and safety glasses. The vinegar can sting any little owies on the fingers and you definitely don’t want to get it in the eyes.
Magic leprechaun rocks
This is a traditional baking soda and vinegar reaction that causes the release of CO2. The reaction mixes with the soap which creates a wonderful foam that is a great sensory exploration.
St patrick’s day science experiment
Start by adding one box of baking soda to a bowl. Carefully add a few drops of green food coloring.
I highly recommend you wear gloves for this part as you will color your hands!
Mix in the green food coloring until the baking soda is evenly colored. Add more as necessary.
Add in a bit of water, just half a teaspoon at a time, and mix until you create a thick paste. It should just start to stick together without crumbling. Now cup your hand and add a scoop of the paste, place some coins in the middle, then add a bit more paste to cover the coins and shape it like a rock. Place it on the parchment paper.
Once all your rocks are made, place them in the freezer for at least 2 hours so they can set. Note they will look blue when frozen but will turn back to green once the reaction starts.
St patrick’s day science experiments
Once you are ready to do the activity, I recommend draping the area with a plastic cloth, this can get messy!
Place a large dish or bowl on the table, dribble some dish soap in the bottom and place your rock in the dish.
Provide a cup of vinegar and the syringe. Have the child carefully start to squirt the rocks and watch what happens! Continue squirting until all the coins are revealed.
St patrick’s day science activities
The resulting foam and searching through it for the coins and treasures is a fantastic sensory experience, but it does get messy!
Continue adding vinegar and see how much foam you can create!
Then maybe send your Leprechaun for a little swim. He did work hard collecting all that treasure!
St Patricks Day Worksheets
We’ve got handy St Patricks day worksheets, printable literacy games, practice tracing, march creative writing, and lots more fun ways to learn in March.
- Color by Letter St Patrick’s Day Worksheets
- Leprechaun Hat Template Letter Tracing Activity
- Find the Letter St Patricks Day Worksheets
- Pot of Gold Phonics – St patrick’s day activities for kindergarten
- St Patrick’s Day Alphabet Rainbow Matching
- Alphabetical Order St Patricks Day Printable Activity
- Pre-writing, Tracing St Patrick’s Day Preschool Printables
- Find the Letter St Patrick’s Day Worksheets
- Saint Patricks Day Shamrock Syllables sorting activity
- Create-a-Word St Patrick’s Day spelling words activity
- Free March Writing Prompts with ruled lines
- March Writing Prompts Calendar
- Rainbow Rhyming Words Activity for March
- Free printable St Patricks Day Write the Room Literacy Activity
- Different sounds of y – Free printable St. Patrick’s Day Activities
- Reading Comprehension St Patrick’s Day Worksheets
- St Patricks Day Activity – Rhyming Donuts
- Rhyme and Dab St Patrick’s Day Printables
St Patricks Day Math
- Count to 10 St.Patrick’s Day Printables or St Patricks Day worksheets for preschoolers
- Counting to 20 St Patrick’s Day Activities for preschoolers
- St patrick’s day puzzles printable free – counting 1-20
- Addition within 10 St Patrick’s Day Math craft
- BINGO- Free printable St Patricks Day Math Game
- Kindergarten Addition Strips – St Patrick’s Day Math Activities
- Symmetry St Patrick’s Day Drawings
- Pot of Gold St Patricks Day Math (3 different levels for pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders)
- Lucky Leprechaun Math Game learning factors
- Free St Patrick’s Day Math Worksheets
- Pot of Gold Place Value Activity & St Patrick’s Day Math Worksheets
- St Patrick’s Day Multiplication – Math Equation Mats
- Rainbow Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Pot of Gold St Patricks Day Math craft – addition within 30
- Hundreds Chart St Patricks Day Color by Number
- St Patricks Day Math for Preschoolers – Clover Patter Strips
- Rainbow Connect the Dots for preschoolers
- Simple Counting Puzzles Rainbow Activity for Toddlers
- Rainbow Printables – Shape Playdough Mats
St Patricks Day Science
- Rainbow in a Jar amazing density science experiment for kids of all ages to try this spring!
- Grow a Rainbow – simple St Patrick’s Day Science Experiments for young kids
- Easy Rainbow in a Jar with sugar experiment for kids
- Grow a Shamrock Science Experiment
- Frozen Eruptions Rainbow Science
- Grow a Rainbow Capillary Action Experiment
- Color Mixing Science St Patricks Day Activity
- St Patricks Day Science with SKITTLES
- Kids will love this Leprechaun Rock activity. It is an easy, fun science experiment for St Patricks Day.
St Patricks Day Activities
- Leprechaun Slime St Patricks Day Activity
- Pot of Gold Slime St Patricks Day Activities
- Green Contact Solution Slime
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime St Patrick’s Day Activities
- SLIME St Patrick’s Day activities for school age
- Color Hunt St Patricks Day Activity for Toddlers
- Flecks of gold St Patricks Day Playdough
St Patricks Day Crafts for Preschoolers
- DIY Leprechaun hat craft from toilet paper roll
- Yarn-wrapped rainbow craft for kindergarten
- Stamping with peppers Clover Crafts for Preschoolers
- Free St Patricks Day Printable Craft Hats
- Rainbow Hand Art Project
- Easy Bead St Patrick’s Day Necklace Craft
- Fun St Patrick Ideas for Toddlers
- Over the rainbow Leprechaun Handprint
- Paper Plate Rainbow Craft for March
- EPIC painting with cars activity is such a fun way to make a rainbow in March!
- Make this fun-to-make and delicious Rainbow Toast
- Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft
- Super cute Rainbow Math with a DIY abacus activity
St Patrick’s Day Printables
- Learn about Ireland for Kids with these free printable books to read and color
- I Spy St Patrick’s Day Printables
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable Template Color Matching Game
- Ireland Coloring Pages for kids
- Free Printable St Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt for kids
- Grab this March Stories for Kids Printable Calendar with books and activities for every day of the month!
- St Patrick’s Day Printables for preschoolers
- Free St Patricks Day Printable Posters
- Lots of fun-to-read St Patrick’s Day Books for Preschoolers
- Simple, Free St Patrick’s Day Coloring Pages
- See lots more ideas to fill your St Patricks Day Lesson plan or with these St Patrick’s Day activities for preschoolers
You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Exploding Watermelon science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- You will love this colorful Walking Water Experiment
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Experiment
- Why does it Float? Density Experiment for Kids
- Kids will be amazes as you change dyed flowers experiment
- Wow your kids with this fun growing crystals for kids
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers Science Project
- Some of our other all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are pop rocks experiment
- Super cool science experiments with balloons and water.
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- kids will be amazed with this learn how to make a battery project
- Learn more about animals with these free printable my animal report forms
- Simple why do leaves change color in the fall science project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a volcano project
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Easy-to-Make Air Pressure Experiments
- Amazing, heat sensitive, color changing slime
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Science Experiment
- 100 Incredible Food Experiments for kids (arranged by type of science)
- This super cool DIY Zipline is made from Lego!
- Epic Life Size Human Body Project