These FREE Trigraph Emergent Readers are excellent for children in higher Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2. As kids progress in their reading they have to get used to puzzling out more consonants being together in a word, so these little readers will help them practice!
How to prepare
Download the Trigraph Little Readers below, print them off, then fold according to the instructions. They just need one slit cut in the paper and you’ll have a little 8-page book from each printed page.
What is a Trigraph
What is a trigraph? It’s not too difficult to explain, tri- means three (like triangle and tricycle).
In this case, it means 3 letters placed together and each letter is important to the final sound of the word.
In this set the three trigraphs are scr…, shr…, and spl…
- scrape, scraps, scratch, scream, screen and scrub.
- shred, shrill, shrink, shrivel, shrub and shrug.
- splash, splat, splay, splint, splinter and splits.
How to use these trigraph little readers
Firstly, have a chat about trigraphs and what they are. Look down the vocabulary list on the back page of one of the readers, look closely at the words and work out how to pronounce them. If they’re not sure of meaning it will become clearer as they read the book since the words are used in context.
Before reading the books, look through the pages and find as many trigraphs as you can. Use a highlighter or underline these words. Can they find the 2 extra trigraphs that are not in the vocabulary lists? (Tip: threw and spread)
Finally, read through the books together, giving support if needed and talk about word meanings and how else the vocabulary words could be used.
Looking for more FREE little readers?
- Ice Cream Sight Word Readers
- Ant Life Cycle: First, Next and Then
- Cinderella went to the Ball
- I’m SO Healthy!
- Super Hero Readers (Prek – 2nd grade)
- Princess Readers (Prek – 2nd grade)
- Bug Sight Word Reader
- Cars & Toy Story Sight Word Readers
- Brave & Tangled Sight Word Readers
- Spring Time Readers
Download Trigraph Emergent Readers
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.