These super cute and free printable Trigraph Emergent Readers are excellent for for helping Kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students learn to read trigraphs. As kids progress in their reading they have to get used to puzzling out more consonants being together in a word, so these free printable readers are a great tool for helping them practice trigraphs spl, scr and shr.
Help your kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students work on sounding out trigraphs with this super cute, free trigraph printable. Print the pdf file in black and white worksheet colour or print in color and fold to make a trigraph reader. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homechool – you will love this phonics printable activity for students. Use it in a literacy center, as extra practice, or a supplement to your homeschooling curriculum.
What is a trigraph
What is a trigraph? It’s not too difficult to explain, tri- means three (like triangle and tricycle).
In this case, it means 3 letters placed together and each letter is important to the final sound of the word.
In this set the three trigraphs are scr…, shr…, and spl…
- scrape, scraps, scratch, scream, screen and scrub.
- shred, shrill, shrink, shrivel, shrub and shrug.
- splash, splat, splay, splint, splinter and splits.
A trigraph is three letters in a word that make ONE single sound. For example, in the word ‘watch’, the three letters ‘tch’ at the end make only one sound.
This trigraph printable includes the trigraph words spl, scr, and shr.
Now simply print off a copy in color or blackline to save on printer ink costs. Then fold according to the instructions. They just need one slit cut in the paper and you’ll have a little 8-page book from each printed page.
Free Printable Readers
Firstly, have a chat about trigraphs and what they are. Look down the vocabulary list on the back page of one of the readers, look closely at the words and work out how to pronounce them. If they’re not sure of meaning it will become clearer as they read the book since the words are used in context.
Before reading the books, look through the pages and find as many trigraphs as you can. Use a highlighter or underline these words. Can they find the 2 extra trigraphs that are not in the vocabulary lists? (Tip: threw and spread)
Finally, read through the books together, giving support if needed and talk about word meanings and how else the vocabulary words could be used.
Printable Sight Word Readers
- Superhero Readers
- Princess Reading Books – more princess readers with books for toddler, preschool, kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2 students
- Cars & Toy Story Pre Primer Sight Word Stories
- Bug Sight Word Reader
- Spring Sight Word Reader
- Farm Sight Word Reader
- Ice Cream Sight Word Reader
Free preschool sight words activities to make learning fun:
- Little Mermaid Color by Sight Word
- Sight Words Construction games for Kids
- Crazy Roads Preschool Sight Words Game
- Cut & Paste Worksheets – pre primer sight word sentences
- Penguin Sight Word Maze
- Christmas Sight Words – Read & Dab Mats
- Summer Free Sight Word Games
- Rocketship Sight Words
- Chocolate Box Preschool Sight Words Activity
- Valentine Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Monster free printable sight word worksheets
- more preschool sight word activities
- Reading the EASY Way – Pre School Reading Program
Download Trigraph Emergent Readers
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.