These super cute and free printable Trigraph Emergent Readers are excellent for for helping Kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students learn to read trigraphs. As kids progress in their reading they have to get used to puzzling out more consonants being together in a word, so these free printable readers are a great tool for helping them practice trigraphs spl, scr and shr.
Help your kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students work on sounding out trigraphs with this super cute, free trigraph printable. Print the pdf file in black and white worksheet colour or print in color and fold to make a trigraph reader. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homechool – you will love this phonics printable activity for students. Use it in a literacy center, as extra practice, or a supplement to your homeschooling curriculum.
What is a trigraph
What is a trigraph? It’s not too difficult to explain, tri- means three (like triangle and tricycle).
In this case, it means 3 letters placed together and each letter is important to the final sound of the word.
In this set the three trigraphs are scr…, shr…, and spl…
- scrape, scraps, scratch, scream, screen and scrub.
- shred, shrill, shrink, shrivel, shrub and shrug.
- splash, splat, splay, splint, splinter and splits.
A trigraph is three letters in a word that make ONE single sound. For example, in the word ‘watch’, the three letters ‘tch’ at the end make only one sound.
This trigraph printable includes the trigraph words spl, scr, and shr.
Now simply print off a copy in color or blackline to save on printer ink costs. Then fold according to the instructions. They just need one slit cut in the paper and you’ll have a little 8-page book from each printed page.
Free Printable Readers
Firstly, have a chat about trigraphs and what they are. Look down the vocabulary list on the back page of one of the readers, look closely at the words and work out how to pronounce them. If they’re not sure of meaning it will become clearer as they read the book since the words are used in context.
Before reading the books, look through the pages and find as many trigraphs as you can. Use a highlighter or underline these words. Can they find the 2 extra trigraphs that are not in the vocabulary lists? (Tip: threw and spread)
Finally, read through the books together, giving support if needed and talk about word meanings and how else the vocabulary words could be used.
Printable Sight Word Readers
- Superhero Readers
- Princess Reading Books – more princess readers with books for toddler, preschool, kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2 students
- Cars & Toy Story Pre Primer Sight Word Stories
- Bug Sight Word Reader
- Spring Sight Word Reader
- Farm Sight Word Reader
- Ice Cream Sight Word Reader
Free preschool sight words activities to make learning fun:
- Little Mermaid Color by Sight Word
- Sight Words Construction games for Kids
- Crazy Roads Preschool Sight Words Game
- Cut & Paste Worksheets – pre primer sight word sentences
- Penguin Sight Word Maze
- Christmas Sight Words – Read & Dab Mats
- Summer Free Sight Word Games
- Rocketship Sight Words
- Chocolate Box Preschool Sight Words Activity
- Valentine Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Monster free printable sight word worksheets
- more preschool sight word activities
- Reading the EASY Way – Pre School Reading Program
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraph Worksheets
- Trigraph Emergent Readers for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Trigraph Printables Readers for grade 1 and grade 2 students
- THR Words Playdough Mats – Printable Phonics Activity
- Phonics Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows – kids will have fun workign on beginning sounds with this creative phonics game for early learners
- Do-a-Dot Phonics Worksheets – low prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas tree Phonics Puzzles – students will make Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Strips – better than th worksheets is this re-usable activity to help kinds work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sound Match – super cute winter themed activity to work on matching letters with the sounds they make.
- Spring Digraph Puzzles – kids will have fun listening for consonant blends with this fun phonics activity for prek, kinders, and 1st grders.
- Digraph Ice Cream Puzzles – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Consonant Blend Clip Cards – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Matching Game – super cute acticity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a Blends Activity – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color & Trace Blends Book – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blends Cluster Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Blends Transportation Slider – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, hands on reading activity for early readers.
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Trigraph Emergent Readers
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.