These super cute and free printable Trigraph Emergent Readers are excellent for for helping Kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students learn to read trigraphs. As kids progress in their reading they have to get used to puzzling out more consonants being together in a word, so these free printable readers are a great tool for helping them practice trigraphs spl, scr and shr.
Help your kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students work on sounding out trigraphs with this super cute, free trigraph printable. Print the pdf file in black and white worksheet colour or print in color and fold to make a trigraph reader. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homechool – you will love this phonics printable activity for students. Use it in a literacy center, as extra practice, or a supplement to your homeschooling curriculum.
Trigraphs list pdf
What is a trigraph? It’s not too difficult to explain, tri- means three (like triangle and tricycle).
In this case, it means 3 letters placed together and each letter is important to the final sound of the word.
In this set the three trigraphs are scr…, shr…, and spl…
- scrape, scraps, scratch, scream, screen and scrub.
- shred, shrill, shrink, shrivel, shrub and shrug.
- splash, splat, splay, splint, splinter and splits.
A trigraph is three letters in a word that make ONE single sound. For example, in the word ‘watch’, the three letters ‘tch’ at the end make only one sound.
This trigraph printable includes the trigraph words spl, scr, and shr.
Now simply print off a copy in color or blackline to save on printer ink costs. Then fold according to the instructions. They just need one slit cut in the paper and you’ll have a little 8-page book from each printed page.
Firstly, have a chat about trigraphs and what they are. Look down the vocabulary list on the back page of one of the readers, look closely at the words and work out how to pronounce them. If they’re not sure of meaning it will become clearer as they read the book since the words are used in context.
Before reading the books, look through the pages and find as many trigraphs as you can. Use a highlighter or underline these words. Can they find the 2 extra trigraphs that are not in the vocabulary lists? (Tip: threw and spread)
Finally, read through the books together, giving support if needed and talk about word meanings and how else the vocabulary words could be used.
Printable Sight Word Readers
- Superhero Readers
- Princess Reading Books – more princess readers with books for toddler, preschool, kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2 students
- Cars & Toy Story Pre Primer Sight Word Stories
- Bug Sight Word Reader
- Spring Sight Word Reader
- Farm Sight Word Reader
- Ice Cream Sight Word Reader
Free preschool sight words activities to make learning fun:
- Little Mermaid Color by Sight Word
- Sight Words Construction games for Kids
- Crazy Roads Preschool Sight Words Game
- Cut & Paste Worksheets – pre primer sight word sentences
- Penguin Sight Word Maze
- Christmas Sight Words – Read & Dab Mats
- Summer Free Sight Word Games
- Rocketship Sight Words
- Chocolate Box Preschool Sight Words Activity
- Valentine Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Monster free printable sight word worksheets
- more preschool sight word activities
- Reading the EASY Way – Pre School Reading Program
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All materials provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Leave a Reply