Help kids be better at spelling difficult words with this free spelling dictionary! Download the pdf file with the spelling dictionary for kids. Children will now have their own handy free printable dictionary to reference commonly misspelled words and add their own words to the word bank. This is a fantastic reference took to allow students to reference the spelling of words right at their fingertips. This spelling dictionary printable is super handy for first graders, 2nd graders, 3rd graders, 4th graders, and 5th grade students.
Free Spelling Dictionary
This printable free spelling dictionary is a super handy tool to encourage kids to become better spellers. Instead of trying to look up every single word they don’t remember how to spell, this free printable spelling dictionary for students has commonly misspelled words along with space for your students to write the words they have trouble spelling. Now they have a quick and easy reference tool to help improve their writing!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this is a great tool to help kids improve how they spell or rather misspell words! Make each child from grade 1, grade 2, grade, 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 a My Spelling Dictionary that they can continue to add to and use throughout elementary school until they are good spellers.
Spelling dictionary for kids
Free printable dictionary
Spelling can be HARD. So just in case you think all homeschooled kids are perfect …. get ready for your image to be shattered. My 2nd grader is a terrible speller. Honestly, I thought it must have been genetic because his Mom (yours truly) is also a terrible speller. Spell check helps, but it is what it is. Ask me to to solve a Calculus problem and I’m your girl, but spelling has always been a struggle.
So I changed my approach in teaching my son yet again. We changed to a more hands on spelling program, added a lot of hands on spelling practice (more on that later), and we started using this free printable My Spelling Dictionary.
Results? It’s a year later and my son is rocking spelling! He is consistently getting most of his spelling words right and that is finally translating into his writing! This will be the first year he wont bomb the spelling section of testing and to say this mom is happy would be a colossal understatement!
Free printable spelling dictionary for students
Why a Spelling Dictionary?
Not so long ago I wondered why in the world I would need a printable spelling dictionary when I had a very nice, complete printed dictionary I bought on Amazon. If you too are wondering why, let me explain.
Kids misspell a lot of word in elementary school. It’s normal! But they key to learning to spell words correctly is lots of practice spelling words correctly. But when you have children consistently looking up every word they misspell in the dictionary, kids can get frustrated and begin to hate spelling.
A Spelling Dictionary is a mini book that lists only the words your student has trouble spelling.
Instead of hunting through thousands of words repeatedly, they can write words in their spelling dictionary that are hard for them. Then when they need help spelling they just check their handy, dandy word list and can start writing the words correctly.
Consistent practice spelling words correctly is what is going to help your child be a “good” speller.
Spelling dictionary printable
This my spelling dictionary printable free is perfect for elementary age students.
- Print 1st page on cardstock (it makes the cover durable)
- Print remaining pages front and back.
- Fold all pages in half (and staple together)
Your my spelling dictionary pdf is a 1/2 page size spelling dictionary is organized alphabetically A to z. Each page is dedicated to one letter. On that particular letter’s page there are a list of common words as well as 14 additional spaces to write words your child struggles with.
Looking for more fun, clever spelling games and free spelling worksheets? You will love these resources:
- Short and Long Vowel Worskheets for hands-on Spelling Practice
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets
- Fun, Secret Code Spelling Worskheet
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Practice
- Hands-on Spelling Practice with Mini Cups
- 25 spelling activities for kids
- Spelling with Legos activity for kids
- Kindergarten Spelling Words – add a vowel practice
- Sensory spelling activities
- 1st Grade Word Search– free printable with grade 1 spelling words
- Money Spelling Activity
- Free Kindergarten spelling words Printable
- Dart Gun spelling activity
- Jump and Spell – an outrageously FUN spelling activity
- Floss Rule Worksheet
- Spelling Long A Words Activity
- Lego Spelling Test for Kids Printables
- Free Spelling Dictionary
Language Arts Activities for Kids
- Cars Punctuation Games
- Cut and Paste Sentences Worksheets
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets – work with any list!
- Free Writing Prompts – LOTS for elementary age students with rules lines, creative prompt calendars, and more!
- Detective Themed Dictionary Skills Worksheets
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Minion Contraction Games
- Contraction Bingo Game
- Doctor Contraction Words Game
- Synonym Puzzles for Kids
- Printable Homograph Games
- FREE Animal Antonyms Puzzles
- Contraction Dominoes
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activities
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun and Verb Games Printable
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
- Parts of Speech BINGO – practice with noun, verb, adverb, adjectives, and more!
- Free Reading Log Printables – including Cars, Frozen, summer, and so many more!
- S’more Complete Sentences Game
- Solve it! Parts of Speech Games Printable
- Pizza Parlor Sentence Building Games
- Free Book Report Template
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE 4th grade worksheets, pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Printable spelling dictionary