Help children listen for similar sounds in words in this Hershey Kiss themed word families for kids. This hands-on words family activity allows kindergarten and first grade students to list for and identifying ending sounds whiel having fun with word families for kindergarten. This word families activities will help students identify word patterns, start sounding words out, and recognize spelling patterns too! Simply print word family printables and you are ready to play and learn!
Word Family Activity
Word families are groups of words that have a common pattern or combination of the same letters in them. For example, bed, fed, wed, and led are a family of words with the “ed” sound and letter combination in common. It is important for children to learn to hear and recognitze these word patterns to assist them in spelling and reaing. This kindergarten word family activity is loads of fun because students will be sorting hershey kiss clipart into word family jars. By turning this word family worksheet into word families activities, kids will be engaged and eager to learn! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this word family activity for kindergartners!
Word Family Printable
Word families for kindergarten
There are 37 most common word families. In this free printable Hershey Kiss Word Families we will explore the ones that make up the most simple words: ad, ail, ake, all, ap, at, ay, est, ice, ill, ing, ish, oon, out, un, and ump.
This activity is a great introduction or continued practice mastering word families for Preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st grade.
Word Families Activities
For this activity you are going to print and laminate (for durability) both the jars and Hershey kisses. There are three levels to this activity:
Level 1 – Visual Discrimination
Sort one or two word families at a time. This will help kids see the patterns very clearly. As kids sort words by patterns help them sound them out. Did they notice the words rhyme?
Note: There are two jars per page and Hershey Kiss words are also sorted with two word families per page to make introducing word families gradually simple.
Level 2 – Visual Discrimination
Have children sort all 16 word families included in this activity at once. There will be 16 jars and a big pile of Hershey kiss words for kids to sort. Again, make sure to help kids sound out words to maximize the educational value of the activity.
Level 3 – Oral Discrimination
At this level children will no longer have the visual clues as to what word family each kiss belongs to. They will need to say the word aloud and listen for the correct pattern. If your student can write, have them write down on printable handwriting paper how they feel the word is written.
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Super cute Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Christmas Phonics Activity for working on phonics skills with word families!
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Easter Egg Word Families Activity
- Word Family Flowers Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Transportation Word Family Slides Printables with blends
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity and coordinating Word Family Worksheets
- Free printable Rhyming Word Families Kindergarten
- Lion Words Family Printable – read and clip
- Planting Carrot CVC Words worksheets
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
Language Arts Activities for Kids
- Cars Punctuation Games
- Cut and Paste Sentences Worksheets
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets – work with any list!
- Free Writing Prompts – LOTS for elementary age students with rules lines, creative prompt calendars, and more!
- Detective Themed Dictionary Skills Worksheets
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Minion Contraction Games
- Contraction Bingo Game
- Doctor Contraction Words Game
- Synonym Puzzles for Kids
- Printable Homograph Games
- FREE Animal Antonyms Puzzles
- Contraction Dominoes
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activities
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun and Verb Games Printable
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
- Parts of Speech BINGO – practice with noun, verb, adverb, adjectives, and more!
- Free Reading Log Printables – including Cars, Frozen, summer, and so many more!
- S’more Complete Sentences Game
- Solve it! Parts of Speech Games Printable
- Pizza Parlor Sentence Building Games
- Free Book Report Template
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
In addition, don’t miss our Ordinal Number Worksheets
Word Family Hershey Kiss Sorting Activity
By using this from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!