Make practicing long vowels with this super cute, free long vowel games printable. This phonics board game helps children focus on the _ _ _ e spelling pattern. Simply download the pdf file and print this long vowel games printable free for first grade and 2nd grade students. This long vowel games is also handy to be used as a vocabulary building game.
Long Vowel Games Printable
Helping students learn to read using phonics skills and improve spelling by learning spelling patterns is an important part of English language arts for grade 1 and grade 2 students. This fun long vowel games printable is a handy way to practice. Plus you can choose to print in color or black and white to save on printer ink costs.
Long vowel games printable free
Print off the color or black and white game board, grab a paper clip, pencil and counters and get ready to play. Print off the reference sheet if your child will find it helpful. Laminate them so they’ll last longer!
Long Vowel Games
If your child is not familiar, or not very confident, with long vowel words that end in e, spend some time with them on this first. Use the reference sheet, asking them to say the names of each picture out loud, specifically thinking about the vowel sound they hear in the middle.
Put your finger over the final e in each word and then say the new word (whether it’s real or silly). Stretch out the vowel sound in that new 3-letter word to hear how the vowel sounds, and how the short vowel sound (as in ‘cat’) is different from the long vowel sound (as in ‘cake’).
Free long vowel games
Next, look at the way these words are spelled on the pages of this long vowel activities for first grade. They all follow the same pattern to make it easier for young ones to feel confident and to take a guess. Consonant – Vowel – Consonant – e. For eg, rice, bone or mute.
Long Vowel Game
To play this long vowel interactive games, start by putting counters on start. (we love using Lego mini figures as our game pieces!). Use a pencil and paper clip on the spinner.
If you land on a ‘u,’ for example, jump to the next picture that has a long ‘u’ sound, then spell it out loud. All these words follow the same spelling pattern.
Children can use the reference word sheet if they need support. They can jump to ‘you did it’ when the vowel they spin is no longer represented in a picture ahead. For writing practice, write down the word they land on each time.
- CVC Words Short U Vowels – cut and pate book for practicing vowels
- Short and Long Vowel Spelling Practice using these no prep worksheets
- Vowel Activity -hands on vowel puzzles
- Bossy E Worksheets
- Short Vowel Board Game
- CVC Word Short Vowel Puzzles
- R Controlled Vowels cut and paste worksheets
- Short i words Reader
- Spring Short i puzzles
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Don’t miss all our free first grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students.
Download Long Vowel Jump Board Game
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.