Practice vowel team “ai” with this fun no-prep game long a game. This free printable phonics game helps first graders work on ai words. Children work their way around the game board as they read ai sound words. Simply download pdf file with words with ai in them and you are ready to play and learn!
Vowel Teams! There are so many of them, and it can seem overwhelming as we are teaching our young readers to read. But for our readers that struggle, we must teach every single one of them. And today we get to focus on reading a vowel team that makes the long a sound, “ai”. This long a game helps grade 1 students learn ai sound words while having fun! This ai Word phonics activity for 1st graders is filled with words containing ai. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this handy 1st grade printables with ai words list. Plus there are two-levels to this no-prep game.
Long a Game
ai Words Phonics
This game is very simple to get ready!!
- First, choose the level that will work for your child and print it off . The first page is one-syllable words. The second page has a mix of one syllable and two syllable words.
- Next, grab a die and game pieces.
And you are ready to go.
ai Sound Words
The rules for this game are pretty easy, as we want the focus to be on reading the words.
- Players will take turns rolling the die and moving that many spaces on the game board.
- As they land on the words they read each “ai” word. (I had my little ones move the correct number of spaces, and then we went back and read the words they had passed.)
- If they land on a rain cloud, they have to move back 2 spaces. (Don’t forget to read those words)
- If they land on a rainbow, they get to slide on the rainbow to the connecting space. (You can decide if the rainbow only makes them move forward, or if they have to move backwards too.)
- The first person to get to the large purple star wins!!
Words with ai in Them
Before reading these words, it may be helpful to go over to review that “ai” makes the Long a sound.
It is also important to point out, that the “ail” make a different sound. That “l” often changes the sound of the vowel, and our struggling readers need extra practice learning that specific sound. Before jumping into the game it may help to practice reading all the “ail” words.
sail, nail, pail, snail, trail, jail, ailment,
The “air” sound is also a little different too. Once again, having our little ones read all the “air” words at one time will help them learn this sound.
air, airline, pair, chair, fair, stairs.
Enjoy a little fun while practicng reading words that have “ai”.
Long vowel sounds worksheets
Looking for more practice with the long a sound? Check out these free printables:
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
- Spring Jelly Bean Egg One to One Correspondence Activities
- Super cute Carrot Shape Playdough Mats for Spring
- Count the Bunny Number Flashcards
- Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Practice adding numbers with this free printable Spring Addition Matching Game
- Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printables Ten Frame Math Activity
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Grab these cute Spring Printables Sudoku Puzzles for kids
- Seed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Frog Alphabet Game Matching Printable
- Kite Beginning Sound Activities printable craft for spring
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Print and GO Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Step by Step Drawings
- Practice reading with this Spring sight word cut and paste reader
- Worm Worksheets Pack
- Spring Telling Time Worksheets
- Digraphy Activity to improve reading and spelling skills with these spring puzzles
- Cute Blubird Soring Blends Activity for first and second graders.
- LOTS of fun PLANTS arts and crafts for preschool and kindergartners
ai words printables
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.