If you are looking for a short vowel game to help your kindergarten and first grader practice short vowel sounds for a, e, i, o, and u – you will love this free printable short vowel bingo! This vowels game is a quick and easy way to sneak in some practice with short vowel sounds while having fun improve literacy skills in reading and spelling!
Short Vowel Game
There is a reason why we start with short vowel sounds while teaching our little ones to read. They really are a foundation to our English words. And what makes them great is that, unlike long vowels, there aren’t numerous rules on how to spell them. For example, you can make the long a sound with an open door syllable (la/zy), magic e syllable (cake), ai (rain), ay (day), ey (convey), eigh (weigh), or even ea (steak). Almost all short vowel sounds are made by closed-door words or syllables. This means that a consonant comes after the vowel. The door is closed, and the vowel is sad, so it makes a short sound.
My daughter has been working hard on vowel teams, and with that, I’ve noticed that she is trying to make our closed-door words and syllables either make long vowel sounds or the other sounds she has learned through our journey into vowel teams. This short vowel game will give her a chance to review with a short vowel activity. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love trying this short vowels printable with kindergartners and grade 1 students.
Short Vowel Bingo
This game will be ready in just a few minutes.
- First, print off the bingo cards you would like to use and the spinner.
- Next, cut out the spinner. You can attach the arrow with a brad, purchase a spinner from Amazon, or use a pencil and paperclip.
- Finally, gather up some game markers to cover the bingo sheet.
Now you are ready to play.
Short Vowel Sounds
This game is super easy to play. The players will take turns spinning the spinner. Have them say the short vowel sound when it lands on a letter. Then they look at their bingo board and cover up the word that has that short vowel sound.
The first person that gets three in a row wins!!!
Short vowel activity
It is a wonderful way to get them to practice making the short sound when they see it on the spinner, but then they also get to find words that make that short sound. It is great for working on spelling short vowel words too.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets
- See all our Vowels activities here
CVC word printables
Looking for more fun ways for kids to practice cvc words? You will love these FREE resoources
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
CVC worksheets for kindergarten
- Reading Words Free CVC Printables
- Short a words Reader
- Caterpillar CVC Word mats
- Snowman CVC Words Activity
- Western CVC Words Activity, CVC Tracing Strips, Build a CVC Word – Construction Theme
- BUMP! CVC Words Game
- Christmas CVC Words Printable
- Planting Carrots CVC Activity for Kindergarten
- Secret Decoder CVC Word Activities
Short vowel Printable
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.