Practice compound words for kids 5 different ways with these FUN compound word activities. Included in this pack of compound word printables are a variety of compound words activity ideas for pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. First there are compound word picture cards with cute clipart to decipher then pick from one of the many handy compound word worksheets. Simply download compound words worksheet pdf file and you are ready to play and learn!
Compound Words for Kids
Are you teaching your young readers how to read compound words? If so, this set of compound words activities are perfect for introducing or reviewing compound words for kids. We have compound words exercises that are hands-on with our compound words pictures clip cards AND various compound words worksheet options for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – these handy compound word printables are perfect for helping young students leran to read and spell compound words. Use these as extra practice at home, litearcy centers in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool language arts curriculum.
Compound word activities
Compound word picture cards
The first compound words activity for younger readers can begin with thecompound words picture cards clip cards. These compound word cards require no reading. Students will say the name of the cute clipart pictured on the top of each of the twelve cards, and then they will clip the correct picture at the bottom.
For instance, they will read “snow + man” and clip the snowman. If you want to make this a self-checking activity, put a small sticker on the back of the correct answer. After your child has clipped the card, they can flip it over and check to see that their clothespin or paper clip is on the sticker. If so, they’ve answered the problem correctly.
Compound Word Worksheets
The free compound word worksheets included in this pack are designed for readers. On these four worksheets, students will identify compound words, parts of compound words, and use compound words in sentences.
- Find it. Highlight it. – Children will read each of the ten sentences, find the compound word in each sentence, and highlight it with a yellow crayon.
- Parts of a compound word – Students will circle each part of the compound words using two different colored pencils or crayons.
- Word search – Readers will search for fifteen compound words hidden in the puzzle.
- Using compound words – Students will identify only the compound words from the word list. Then, they will choose two compound words and use them in sentences.
Compound Word Activities
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Compound words exercises
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.