Students will have fun practicing compound words with these free printable compound word activities. First there are kindergarten printables that are for non-reading to be used as clip cards. Then there are various different kinds of first grade compound word worksheets.
Don’t let your young readers become intimidated by longer, compound words. Show them how to break compound words into smaller pieces with this fun set of compound words activities.
Are you looking for more free reading activities? Try these:
- Teaching Idioms with Picture Books
- Teaching Onomatopoeia with Picture Books
- Hands-On Fun for Jan Brett’s The Mitten
FREE Compound Words Activities
Younger readers can begin with the compound words clip cards. This activity requires no reading. Students will “read” the pictures on the top of each of the twelve cards, and then they will clip the correct picture at the bottom.
For instance, they will read “snow + man” and clip the snowman. If you want to make this a self-checking activity, put a small sticker on the back of the correct answer. After your child has clipped the card, they can flip it over and check to see that their clothespin or paper clip is on the sticker. If so, they’ve answered the problem correctly.
The worksheets included in this pack are designed for readers. On these four worksheets, students will identify compound words, parts of compound words, and use compound words in sentences.
- Find it. Highlight it. – Children will read each of the ten sentences, find the compound word in each sentence, and highlight it with a yellow crayon.
- Parts of a compound word – Students will circle each part of the compound words using two different colored pencils or crayons.
- Word search – Readers will search for fifteen compound words hidden in the puzzle.
- Using compound words – Students will identify only the compound words from the word list. Then, they will choose two compound words and use them in sentences.
Compound Word Activities
- Learning Compound Words with Block
- Compound Word Puzzles
- Compound Word Readers
- Compound Word Clip Cards
Download 5 Free Compound Words Activities
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.