Build a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich for a hands on math activity to grasp the concept of place value. This is a fun, hands on activity for Kindergarten,1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students.
More Math Activities for Kids
- 1st Grade Mad Minutes
- Flower Number Bonds
- Aquarium Fish Subtraction File Folder Math Game
- Doggy Addition File Folder Math Game
- Princess Addition Flashcards
- Toy Story Subtraction Flashcards
- Mazes: Skip Counting by 2s-10s
- 2nd Grade Mad Minutes
- 2000+ page of free math worksheets
Place Value Peanut Butter & Jelly Math Sandwiches
For some reason my 1st grade daughter just couldn’t seem to figure out the concept of place values. So I figured I could make a fun, hands on math activity to help her not only figure it out, but master the concept. Thismath games was a huge hit in our house! My daughter loves making the sandwiches and loves to use the knife as she’s making them. But more importantly she finally figured out place values. Yeah!
Place Values Math Game
This easy to play free printable activity will be a hit with kids in Kindergarten –3rd grade as they learn about place values.
Print the game in color. Then cut out the label and directions manila folder cover. This makes an easy way to store the activity and an easy reminder of how to play. I recommend you laminate all other pages for durability.
Note: There are two sets. You are probably fine just downloading A or B – it will give you 8 place value sandwiches to make. But in case your child really enjoys the activity or wants extra practice, you can download them both.
Start out by lining up the place value mats.
- Bread – thousands
- Grape Jam – hundreds
- Peanut Butter – tens
- Bread (smaller piece) – ones
This helps kids to start to visualize how place value works.
Now put the coordinating cards to make your sandwiches on the correct place value mat.
Kids will draw a sandwich card. This is the total value of the sandwich. Now to make the sandwiches . . .
Kids will now make their sandwiches putting the numbers in their correct place values:
- thousands bread followed by a knife to “add” more layers
- grape jam hundreds followed by a knife to “add” more layers
- peanut butter tens followed by a knife to “add” more layers
- small piece of bread ones
Children will now be able to visually see how the numbers stack up and ensure that the place values sandwich was made correctly.
My daughter thought this activity was tons of fun. Plus she quickly figured out what place values were and this translated into her math curriculum.
Watch the Directions for Place Value PB and J
Download Place Value PB & J Math Activity
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!