Build a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich for a hands on math activity to grasp the concept of place value. This is a fun, hands on activity for Kindergarten,1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students.
Place Value Games
For some reason my daughter just couldn’t seem to figure out the concept of place values. So I figured I could make a fun, hands on math activity to help her not only figure it out, but master the concept. This math game was a huge hit in our house! My daughter loves making the peanut butter and jelly math game, but more importantly she finally figured out place values. Yeah!
This is a fun activity to try on April 2nd for National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day! You might also want to try our
- PB&J Counting Activiting
- Alphabet Activity making Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
- Puffy Paint Peanut Butter and Jelly Craft
Place Value Games to Print
This easy to play, free printable math activity will give kindergartenters, first graders, and 2nd graders lots of FUN place value practice. Whether you are a classroom teacher looking to add to math center, a parent looking for extra math practice or a peanut butter and jelly theme, or a homeschooler reinforcing a concept from your child’s math curriculum, you will love this fun activity!
Now print the peanut butter and jelly math in color. Then cut out the label and directions manila folder cover. This makes an easy way to store the activity and an easy reminder of how to play. I recommend you laminate all other pages for durability.
Note: There are two sets. You are probably fine just downloading A or B – it will give you 8 place value sandwiches to make. But in case your child really enjoys the activity / wants extra practice or you have multiple students completing the activity, you can download them both.
Place Value Interactive Games
Start out by lining up the place value mats.
- Bread – thousands place
- Grape Jam – hundreds place
- Peanut Butter – tens place
- Bread (smaller piece) – ones place
This helps children to start to visualize how place value works. We just love this place value games 2nd grade or even place value games 4th grade because you can decide to do simpler numbers or larger numbers in the thousands – the choice is yours!
Now, to set-up you place value games for kids, put the coordinating ingredient cards to make your sandwiches on the correct place value mat.
Kids will draw a sandwich card. This is the total value of the sandwich. Now to make the sandwiches . . .
Place Value Activity
Kids will now make their sandwiches by putting the numbers in their correct place values:
- thousands bread followed by a knife to “add” more layers
- grape jam hundreds followed by a knife to “add” more layers
- peanut butter tens followed by a knife to “add” more layers
- small piece of bread ones
As they complete the place value activites – children will be able to visually see how the numbers stack up and ensure that the place values sandwich was made correctly.
Math Activities for Kids
My daughter thought this activity was tons of fun. Plus she quickly figured out what place values were and this translated into her math curriculum.
Looking for more free math printables to make learning math fun for kids of all ages? You will love these resources!
- Ordinal Numbers Coloring Pages
- Color the Coins Money Worksheets
- Tic-Tac-Toe Addition Math Games
- Lucky Leprechaun Factors Game
- Hundreds Chart Skip Counting 1-15
- Beauty and the Beast Color by Number
- Measument Hunt Math Challenge
- Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Fractions Board Game
- Pirate Place Value Game
- Deck of Cards Multiplication Worksheets
- Coin Value Clip Cards
Don’t miss all our amazing grade 1 worksheets and first grade activities with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, free printable worksheets for kindergarten and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Teaching Place Value
Download Place Value PB & J Math Activity
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!