Are you working on picking books for 3rd graders? Let me help you pick 3rd grade reading books that are engaging to kids and filled with rich vocabulary and story lines. Instead of spending hours at the library or searching through books on Amazon, check out these fun-to-read Books for Third Graders. Simply download pdf file with printable 3rd grade reading list and you are ready to help your third grader love reading!
Books for 3rd Graders
Most grade 2 students are reading well and able to pick up most picture books and short chapter books to read themselves. To help your 3rd grader pick some good quality books with great character development, story lines, rich language, and more – I’ve gathered this list of must read books for 3rd graders. This is such a great 3rd grade reading list homeschool to spend less time picking good books and more time READING!
Printable 3rd grade reading list
Books for Third Graders
Take a peak at these best books for 3rd graders to order conveniently online or scroll to the bottom of the post and grab the free printable 3rd grade book list”
The Candymakers by Wendy Mass follows a group of 4 children who are competing in a national competition to create the most delicious candy.
Tree in the Trail by Holling C. Holling is a tale of a cottonwood tree and the events that happen around it through history on the Great Plains.
Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry tells the story of a young spirited colt who is a runt, but eventually becomes famous for his remarkable feats.
Swift Rivers by Cornelia Meigs is an adventurous story of a young man named Chris who harvests the trees on his grandfather’s lands and attempts to float them down the Mississippi to the lumber mills in St. Louis.
Johnny Tremain by Esther Hoskins Forbes is a historical novel that takes readers through the events leading up to the American Revolution through the eyes of a young boy.
Calico Bush by Rachel Field tells the story of a young French girl named Marguerite who lives in colonial times as an indentured servant. But she uses her quick thinking and bravery to help the family who hired her.
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham introduces readers to Nathaniel Bowditch, the author of The American Practical Navigator as he grows from a small child to an accomplished sailor.
The Journeyman by Elizabeth Yates follows a young man named Jared who meets a journeyman painter and starts an adventure that takes him from childhood to adulthood.
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl is a fantastical story about a boy named James who drops magic crystals by a peach tree. When the peach at the top grows large enough to fit inside, James enters it and starts a magical new adventure.
Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka by Jon Scieszka shares the memories and childhood stories of the author, and shows how his life experiences shaped his creative mind.
Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, No 1) by Laura Ingalls Wilder introduces readers to the Ingalls family and 4 year old Laura. Follow along as they detail their life experiences living in a log cabin in 1871.
The Twits by Roald Dahl is a story about the miserable, mean spirited Twits and their caged monkeys who have had enough of their meanness.
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things by Lenore Look follows a second grader named Alvin who is afraid of everything. But at home, he can be a superhero named Firecracker Man!
Clementine (Clementine, 1) by Sara Pennypacker introduces kids to Clementine, a funny young girl who is having a disastrous week. Can she find a way to turn it around and make the best of things?
Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters (Reading Rainbow Books) by John Steptoe is a retelling of the Cinderella story, based on a traditional African folktale. When the king decides to take a wife, Mufaro brings both of his daughters to see him. Which one will be queen?
Dog Diaries: Secret Writings of the WOOF Society by Betsy Byars shares the stories of twelve dogs throughout history, as told to the WOOF society of dogs.
Falling Up by Shel Silverstein is an anthology full of Silverstein’s hilarious poetry. The poems utilize a variety of styles and rhyming patterns, and they are paired with simple silly sketches.
The Mouse Family Robinson by Dick King-Smith is an adventure story following a family of mice on a quest to find a home free of danger from cats.
7 x 9 = Trouble! by Claudia Mills follows Wilson, a young boy who struggles with math and the timed multiplication tests from his teacher. With the help of his friends, can he conquer what scares him?
Maybelle in the Soup by Katie Speck tells the story of Maybelle, the little cockroach who lives under Mr. and Mrs. Peabody’s refrigerator, and what happens when she ventures out to try some delicious foods.
The Pippi Longstocking Series by Astrid Lindgren introduces readers to Pippi, the spunky little girl with the crazy pigtails, and her hilarious antics.
A Series of Unfortunate Events Series by Lemony Snicket follows the adventures of the unlucky Baudelaire children and all of the terrible things that they have to face and the tragedies they have to overcome.
The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop is an adventure story that follows a young boy named William who is gifted a model castle whose silver knight comes to life and opens up a world of magic to him.
Arithme-Tickle: An Even Number of Odd Riddle-Rhymes by J. Patrick Lewis is a book of rhyming riddles that use addition, subtraction, and multiplication to find the answers. The back of the book includes the answers in case the reader gets stumped.
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute: Lunch Lady 1 by Jarrett J. Krosoczka (2.2) tells an imaginative story about the lunch lady at Hector, Terrence, and Dee’s school, and what happens when she isn’t serving in the cafeteria.
A Lion to Guard Us by Clyde Robert Bulla (2.9) follows a young girl from England as she tries to bring her siblings to the American colonies to find their father.
Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims by Clyde Robert Bulla (3.0) introduces readers to Squanto, the hardships he faced in life, and his interactions with the Pilgrims.
Henry’s Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad by Ellen Levine (3.0) tells the story of Henry Brown, a slave who mailed himself to the North in a large crate to finally reach freedom.
Meet George Washington (Landmark Books) by Joan Heilbroner (3.4) teaches kids about the life and accomplishments of George Washington, from childhood to his time as the first President of the United States.
Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (3.4) is a story about a family in the late nineteenth century. When Papa puts out an advertisement for a wife and mother, Sarah Elisabeth Wheaton answers the ad and comes to the prairie from Maine.
The Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh (3.5) takes the reader to the wilderness on Hemlock Mountain. Jonathan has been told that there aren’t any bears on the mountain, but one winter night, he finds out they might be wrong.
Meet Thomas Jefferson (Landmark Books) by Marvin Barrett (3.5) introduces readers to the life and accomplishments of Thomas Jefferson, from his childhood in Virginia, to his time in the Oval Office.
The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dalgliesh (4.0) teaches kids about the origin of the Thanksgiving holiday. The story follows Giles, Constance, and Damaris Hopkins as they travel to the New World on the Mayflower, and are greeted with new hardships, and Native Americans willing to help them.
We have tons of activities to help your grade 3 students have fun while learning third grade math, science, history, language arts, science, and more! See all our our 3rd grade worksheets and educational activities
- Free 3rd Grade Math Worksheets with answer keys
- Grade 3 Reading Books pdf free list or this printable 3rd grade reading list
- 2 Digit Addition Worksheets with and without regrouping
- Printable 2-Digit Addition Game, Subtraction BINOG 2 Digit Subtraction Math Game, or spring Two Digit Addition
- 3 Digit Addition Worksheets or cute 3-Digit Addition Game
- Ice Cream Sundae Place Value Activity, silly PB & J Place Value Activity, or fun Pirate Place Value Game
- Free Printable Skip Counting Charts , handy Skip Counting Worksheets, or fun Skip Coutning Puzzles
- Lego Multiplication Flashcards – help kids gain fluency with these free printable flashcards
- Practice Multiplication with Hopscotch – quick to learn and play multiplication math game for 1-2 players
- Multiplication Mini book – help kids learn their math facts by making this handy multiplication facts book
- Robot Money Practice – easy, no prep robot themed activty for kids to practice counting money
- Telling Time Puzzles – kids will have fun putting together the puzzle as they practice figuring out what time it is
- FREE Book Report Tempalte 3rd Grade or this simple Book Report Template
- Creative Sandwich Book Report or this fun Pizza Book Report
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worskheets or detective Parts of Speech Games Printable
- 20 FUn Punctuation Activities for Kids
- Pumpkin Homophone Activity
- LOTS of FREE Printable Writing Prompts
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- Dictionary Detective Activity with free printable cases with answer keys!
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Free Scientific Method Worksheet
- Playdough Layers of the Earth activity
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Free 4 Season Printables
- EPIC Lego Water Cycle Model for Kids
- Large Printable Weather Unit for kids
- Rain Cloud for Kids experiment and free worksheet
- Water Cycle for Kids Printable Book
- How to Make a Weather Vane – easy weather science project for elementary age students
- Lots of fun ideas for a weather theme this week
- Clever Rain Craft for kids to make
- Simple Air Pressure Experiments for kids
- Recycling Worksheets
- Animal Classification Worksheets
- LOTS of projects to learn about the human body for kids
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Lesson
Book recommendations for Kids
- Tons of books for preschoolers
- Must Read Kindergarten Reading Books pdf free, free Kindergarten Reading Level Book List, Favorite Read Aloud Books for Kindergarten
- 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read by Themselves – Level 1 Reading Books pdf free, Fun-to-Read First Grade Picture Books, First Grade Read Aloud Chapter Books
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders, 2nd Graders, and 3rd Graders – favorite series to keep kids reading!
- Best Read Aloud Chapter Books for 2nd Grade, Check out these 2nd Grade Reading Books pdf free
- Handy Grade 3 Reading Books pdf FREE
- Free 4th Grade Reading List pdf
- Printable Grade 5 Reading books pdf
- Exciting Historical Fiction Books for Kids and 25 Exciting Historical Fiction Books for 4th Graders
- Alphabet Books for Children, Transportation Books for Kids, Space Books for Kids that are out-of-this-world
- Funny Picture Books for kids of all ages, Sweet Picture Books about Family, Fun Zoo Books for Kids
- Books about community helpers, Beautiful Animal Books for Preschoolers, Preschool Color Books
- Creepy, Crawly Bug Books for Preschool kids, Rhyming Books for Kindergarten, fun-to read fall books for kids, and Preschool emotion books for learning to understand feelings
- See all of our popular kids books to read
- Handy, Reading Comprehension bookmarks (any book: fiction or non fiction)
- Free Book Report Template for elementary age students or Book Report Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Simple, one page Book Report Templates to ensure kids are understanding the main charaters, setting, and idea of what they are reading
- Super cute Pizza Book Report Idea with Free printable template or sandwich book report freebie
- Free 3rd Grade Book Report template choices
- 26 more clever Book Report Ideas, Ralph Waldo Poetry Worksheets
- See if kids remember the moral of the story with these FREE Aesop Fables Worksheets pdf
- This Library Scavenger Hunt helps kids learn to navigate a library or this Reading Scavenger Hunt
- Bookshelf Reading Log printable – to help encourage kids to read!
- How to teach elementary age students to write a Ralph Waldo Poetry Worksheets
- Free Parts of a Book Worksheet or these parts of a book for kids coloring pages that use playdough
- Plus, grab these super cute, free printable Star Wars bookmarks for kids!
3rd Grade Books
To make it easies to pick out books at the library I made a printable from this list. Just pick the style you like and print that page. Fold in half and laminate for a convenient bookmark. Use a dry erase markers to cross off books you’ve finished.
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Can I just say thank you so much.
You are an amazing soul. This is our 2nd year homeschooling on a small budget. Especially since —. Your site is everything.