Looking for some really great first grade read alouds picture books? Here are some MUST READ first grade picture books that include classic books like Alexander and the Terrible No Good Very Bad Day and new favorites like Marshmallow Incident or Whent the Library Lights are Out. Plus, to help speed up your trip to the library, we’ve made a free printable of these 1st grade picture books. Simply print picture books for 1st graders and you are ready to find your next favorite book!
First Grade Read Alouds Picture Books
1st Graders are learning to read on their own and need practice reading, but they also need to be read to. At this age, grade 1 students are ready for more complex stories and vocabulary, but they still enjoy seeing beautiful illustrations that make stories come alive to them. With all the varied needs of first graders, I’ve compiled several lists of first grade read alouds picture books to continue to nurture a love of reading. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, you will love this handy first grade picture books. Plus we’ve created a printable 1st grade picture books list so you can pick them up at your local library or bookstore.
First grade Picture Books
1st grade picture books
Without further ado, here is the list for you to grab a copy on Amazon or print the first grade reading books.
A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead tells the story of Amos McGee, a friend to all the animals in the zoo. When he gets sick, his animal friends return the favor of friendship.
A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle follows a hermit crab as he struggles to find a place to live and learns an important lesson about growing up.
Giggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin revisits the farm animals from Click, Clack, Moo. When Farmer Brown goes on vacation, he asks his brother Bob to take care of the animals, and Duck takes the opportunity to cause a little trouble.
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak shares the story of a young boy named Max who is sent to his room without supper, and goes on an incredible adventure to the land of the Wild Things.
The Marshmallow Incident by Judi Barrett visits the Town of Left and the Town of Right as they engage in a battle of Marshmallows after an unlucky inhabitant crosses the dotted yellow line dividing them.
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss tells the story of Sally and her brother, and the chaos that ensues when they are left home alone and a crazy cat wearing a hat pays them a visit.
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst follows a young boy named Alexander as he struggles through a day where everything goes wrong for him.
How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long shares the story of a young boy named Jeremy Jacobs who meets a pirate crew and learns what it means to live a pirate life.
When the Library Lights Go Out by Megan McDonald follows three puppets as they find adventure in the library after the lights go out and the people go home.
Museum ABC by Metropolitan Museum of Art is an alphabet book that highlights 4 different pieces of artwork for each letter of the alphabet. The back of the book includes information on all of the art shown throughout the book.
The Incredible Book-Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers is a silly story about a boy named Henry who loves to eat books. The more books that he eats, the smarter he gets, but eventually it leads to a stomachache. .
The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg tells the story of a young boy who gets on a magical train for a trip to the North Pole on Christmas Eve.
Sir Cumference: And the First Round Table by Cindy Neuschwander is a math adventure featuring Sir Circumference, Lady Di Ameter, and their son Radius as they design the perfect table for knights to meet around.
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans introduces the reader to Madeline, a brave young girl in Paris who lives with eleven other little girls.
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney tells the story of Alice Rumphius, the Lupine lady, who tossed lupine seeds wherever she went to make the world a more beautiful place.
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein share the story of a young boy and the generous tree that offers everything she has to make him happy.
Did I miss your favorite 1st Grade Read Aloud Book? I’d love to hear what your families favorite read alouds are for this age. Just leave me the book name and author in the comments section!
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Free 1st grade reading books pdf free , Chapter Books for 1st Graders, free Printable 1st Grade Book Report
- Kid favorite Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects, Sight Words Printable List, First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets, sh, ch, th word Digraph Games, Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun Counting Coins Games, Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets, Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles, Gumball Math Worksheets, and Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math
- Bingo Shapes Game, Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages, Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game, Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets, Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template plus TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, experiments, and free printables too!
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment, Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime, and Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities, oreo Phases of the Moon for Kids worksheets & activities
- Weather Unit with worksheets and projects, Learn planets in Solar System for Kids plus tons of Solar System Project Ideas, Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with cootie catchers
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit, Dive into plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets, Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages, Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game, Free Presidents Worksheets, US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live and learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- Learn about USA for Kids, American Symbols Worksheets, and explore American History for kids
Book recommendations for Kids
- Tons of books for preschoolers
- Must Read Kindergarten Reading Books pdf free, free Kindergarten Reading Level Book List, Favorite Read Aloud Books for Kindergarten
- 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read by Themselves – Level 1 Reading Books pdf free, Fun-to-Read First Grade Picture Books, First Grade Read Aloud Chapter Books
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders, 2nd Graders, and 3rd Graders – favorite series to keep kids reading!
- Best Read Aloud Chapter Books for 2nd Grade, Check out these 2nd Grade Reading Books pdf free
- Handy Grade 3 Reading Books pdf FREE
- Free 4th Grade Reading List pdf
- Printable Grade 5 Reading books pdf
- Exciting Historical Fiction Books for Kids and 25 Exciting Historical Fiction Books for 4th Graders
- Alphabet Books for Children, Transportation Books for Kids, Space Books for Kids that are out-of-this-world
- Funny Picture Books for kids of all ages, Sweet Picture Books about Family, Fun Zoo Books for Kids
- Books about community helpers, Beautiful Animal Books for Preschoolers, Preschool Color Books
- Creepy, Crawly Bug Books for Preschool kids, Rhyming Books for Kindergarten, fun-to read fall books for kids, and Preschool emotion books for learning to understand feelings
- See all of our popular kids books to read
- Handy, Reading Comprehension bookmarks (any book: fiction or non fiction)
- Free Book Report Template for elementary age students or Book Report Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Simple, one page Book Report Templates to ensure kids are understanding the main charaters, setting, and idea of what they are reading
- Super cute Pizza Book Report Idea with Free printable template or sandwich book report freebie
- Free 3rd Grade Book Report template choices
- 26 more clever Book Report Ideas, Ralph Waldo Poetry Worksheets
- See if kids remember the moral of the story with these FREE Aesop Fables Worksheets pdf
- This Library Scavenger Hunt helps kids learn to navigate a library or this Reading Scavenger Hunt
- Bookshelf Reading Log printable – to help encourage kids to read!
- How to teach elementary age students to write a Ralph Waldo Poetry Worksheets
- Free Parts of a Book Worksheet or these parts of a book for kids coloring pages that use playdough
- Plus, grab these super cute, free printable Star Wars bookmarks for kids!
Read aloud books for 1st grade online
To make it easies to pick out books at the library I made a printable from this list. Just pick the style you like and print that page. Fold in half and laminate for a convenient bookmark. Use a dry erase markers to cross off series you are finished with or your child didn’t particularly enjoy. You can also have your child note what book they are on in the series to make picking books up at the library a breeze!
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
The link here is to the 1st grade read-alouds, not the picture books! The link on the 1st grade read-aloud page is to that too.