Looking for some really great first grade read alouds picture books? Here are some MUST READ first grade picture books that include classic books like Alexander and the Terrible No Good Very Bad Day and new favorites like Marshmallow Incident or Whent the Library Lights are Out. Plus, to help speed up your trip to the library, we’ve made a free printable of these 1st grade picture books. Simply print picture books for 1st graders and you are ready to find your next favorite book!
First Grade Read Alouds Picture Books
1st Graders are learning to read on their own and need practice reading, but they also need to be read to. At this age, grade 1 students are ready for more complex stories and vocabulary, but they still enjoy seeing beautiful illustrations that make stories come alive to them. With all the varied needs of first graders, I’ve compiled several lists of first grade read alouds picture books to continue to nurture a love of reading. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, you will love this handy first grade picture books. Plus we’ve created a printable 1st grade picture books list so you can pick them up at your local library or bookstore.
First grade Picture Books
1st grade picture books
Without further ado, here is the list for you to grab a copy on Amazon or print the first grade reading books.
A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead tells the story of Amos McGee, a friend to all the animals in the zoo. When he gets sick, his animal friends return the favor of friendship.
A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle follows a hermit crab as he struggles to find a place to live and learns an important lesson about growing up.
Giggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin revisits the farm animals from Click, Clack, Moo. When Farmer Brown goes on vacation, he asks his brother Bob to take care of the animals, and Duck takes the opportunity to cause a little trouble.
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak shares the story of a young boy named Max who is sent to his room without supper, and goes on an incredible adventure to the land of the Wild Things.
The Marshmallow Incident by Judi Barrett visits the Town of Left and the Town of Right as they engage in a battle of Marshmallows after an unlucky inhabitant crosses the dotted yellow line dividing them.
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss tells the story of Sally and her brother, and the chaos that ensues when they are left home alone and a crazy cat wearing a hat pays them a visit.
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst follows a young boy named Alexander as he struggles through a day where everything goes wrong for him.
How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long shares the story of a young boy named Jeremy Jacobs who meets a pirate crew and learns what it means to live a pirate life.
When the Library Lights Go Out by Megan McDonald follows three puppets as they find adventure in the library after the lights go out and the people go home.
Museum ABC by Metropolitan Museum of Art is an alphabet book that highlights 4 different pieces of artwork for each letter of the alphabet. The back of the book includes information on all of the art shown throughout the book.
The Incredible Book-Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers is a silly story about a boy named Henry who loves to eat books. The more books that he eats, the smarter he gets, but eventually it leads to a stomachache. .
The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg tells the story of a young boy who gets on a magical train for a trip to the North Pole on Christmas Eve.
Sir Cumference: And the First Round Table by Cindy Neuschwander is a math adventure featuring Sir Circumference, Lady Di Ameter, and their son Radius as they design the perfect table for knights to meet around.
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans introduces the reader to Madeline, a brave young girl in Paris who lives with eleven other little girls.
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney tells the story of Alice Rumphius, the Lupine lady, who tossed lupine seeds wherever she went to make the world a more beautiful place.
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein share the story of a young boy and the generous tree that offers everything she has to make him happy.
Did I miss your favorite 1st Grade Read Aloud Book? I’d love to hear what your families favorite read alouds are for this age. Just leave me the book name and author in the comments section!
- 50 Books for Kindergarten Book List – Books for Kindergarteners to read themselves
- Best kindergarten books to read aloud
- 1st grade reading books pdf – 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read Themselves
- 1st grade picture books
- First grade read aloud chapter books
- Top 25 Chapter books for 1st graders
- Best 2nd Grade Reading List
- Read aloud chapter books for 2nd grade
- Homeschool 3rd grade reading list
- 4th Grade Book List
- 5th grade reading book lists
- Historical fiction books for kids
Free Printable Reading Logs
- Monthly Reading Log – this free printable has ‘traditional’ monthly themes
- Bookshelf Free Printable Reading Logs – super cute and fun for kids of all ages!
- Pencil Free Printable Reading Logs -print reading worksheet and color a pencil for each book you read
- Frozen Free Printable Reading Logs – kids will have fun tracking their reading and the books they’ve read with this motivating free printable for kids of all ages
- Princess Free Printable Reading Logs – students will have fun tracking their reading with these free printable reading logs
- Super Hero Free Printable Reading Logs – using a favorite theme of kids will encourage kids to read
- Cars Free Printable Book Logs – children will have fun tracking the books they’ve read with these clever free reading log
- Summer Free Printable Reading Logs – students will be motivated to read this summer with these ideas
- Reading Comprehension Bookmarks – this is a great tool for making sure kids are understanding what they are reading
- Reading Levels by Grade – how to pick the right books for every reading level and tons of printable book lists too
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Read aloud books for 1st grade online
To make it easies to pick out books at the library I made a printable from this list. Just pick the style you like and print that page. Fold in half and laminate for a convenient bookmark. Use a dry erase markers to cross off series you are finished with or your child didn’t particularly enjoy. You can also have your child note what book they are on in the series to make picking books up at the library a breeze!
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for individual use only (to share please refer others to this post and do NOT share the file)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836 & ClipArtopia
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!