Reading family picture books is important for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade children. It helps them understand our family structure, that kids are loved and care for, and more. We have so many really cute and fun-to-read picture books about family. Come take a peak to find your new favorite picture books about families.
Picture books about family
Looking for the best picture books about family. Here are some precious, heart warming stories about families for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1 and grade 2 students. These picture books about families have lots of beautiful illustrations and sweet stories about wolf pack, family reunion, worm, family, large, families, all families are different, rhyming family books, silly family books, animal kisses, and construction truck families too! Which family picture book will you read first?
Family picture book
This is a real life story about a family of wolves and how they adapt to survive together. So although not about people, the life lessons about sticking together and working together apply beautifully. I love the illustrations!
Beautiful water color illustrations fill this book telling of a family reunion with extended family using poems. I love that it introduces children to poetry. Again, while this is not about your nuclear family, I love that it helps kids realizes that grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are part of our family too!
One Big Family
Another fun-to-read book about extended family getting together. This is perfect to read before a family reunion. It helps kids prepare for the noisy, exciting, but loving moments they will experience when everyone gets together.
The Worm Family
This book is fun, silly, and has great topics to talk about together. The worm family is tall, skinny, and like to sing worm songs. They are different from their neighbors. This is great for discussing how your family may look or act differently from those around you, but that’s okay.
My Wild Family
This book helps introduce metaphors by using animals to illustrate how each member of the family is different and unique. Great for helping kids realize each family member is unique.
Ninety-Three in My Family
A delightful book with whimsical pictures, rhythmic verse, and lots of fun counting inside. Kids will giggle through the outlandish premise that this boy’s family is made up of 27 owls, 11 dogs, cats, lions, gerbils, and more.
The Frazzle Family Finds a Way
This cute story follows a forgetful family through their day. They ultimately use silly rhyming songs to help them remember.
A Perfect Home for a Family
The sweet story follows a family of raccoons as they look for a bigger home to accomidate their growing family.
The Chicken of the Family
This story follows a girl named Henrietta who her siblings keep saying is actually a chicken. This book is sure to become a favorite in your family and great for helping kids learn to cope with teasing from a sibling.
Duck, Duck, Dinosaur
A cute, fun-to-read story kids will enjoy that touches on sibling rivalry and how the mother loves all her children equally.
Is Your Mama a Llama?
Humorous rhymes accompany this story where a baby llama guesses along with the listener at what kind of animal everyone’s mama is. This story builds phonemic awareness and rhyme too!
Love you Forever
A classic, favorite book of families everywhere! This book shows the enduring love of a parent as their child goes through stages of childhood.
A Chair for My Mother
An award winning book about a family whose home is destroyed and how they save to buy a comfortable chair for the whole family to enjoy.
Copy Me, Copycub
This is a cute story with great illustrations. Follow the mother and her cub through all the four seasons and watch how some animals hibernate. This book will be reminiscent of how kids like to copy behaviors and a great reminder that they are always watching, learning, and imitating what we do.
Children’s books about families
This is such a sweet story with beautiful drawings that help kids understand that when they sleep, everything else sleeps too . . . and it will all be waiting for them in the morning.
If Animals Kissed Good Night
Such a sweet story with lovely illustrations of how animals would say good night.
Llama Llama Misses Mama
I love the way the text flows and the beautiful hand drawn illustrations in all of Anna Dewdney’s original books. This book is great to help kids process what it feels like when parents have to leave to go to work or an outing without them, but knowing that they will be back!
On the Night You Were Born
This is such a sweet way to help kids know about the very special day they came into the world, how much they were loved, and how momentous that day is. I love reliving that moment and emotion with my little ones. Beautiful text and gorgeous illustrations.
Welcome Little One
This is a sweet, simple story perfect for telling kids how much they were loved from the day they were born.
God Found us You
If your little one is adopted, this is a great story about how you loved your little one from even before you met them and how special your bond is.
Silly Wonderful YOU
I love that this book normalizes that kids all make messes, and are loud, and that it’s okay. we love them anyway!
You’re All My Favorites
If you have more than one child like we do (we have six) it is so wonderful to verbally tell them that they are all loved equally. They all are unique and special and we parents wouldn’t trade any of them for anything.
My Two Grannies
I love that this book shows how families can be made up of various different cultures or looks and how beautiful that is and how rich a heritage kids have.
Looking for more great content? We have over 1 million free printable worksheets conveniently arranged by subject or grade: super cute Pre k Worksheets, fun kindergarten worksheets, free 1st grade worksheets, handy 2nd grade worksheets, printable 3rd grade worksheets, and 4th grade worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- Make learning fun with these free cut and paste worksheets
- Plus don’t miss this outrageously fun Human Body Project
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Teach kids to tell time with this huge pack of printable time puzzles
Plus don’t miss these popular posts from our sister sites:
- Shaped Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Lots of cute, themed Free Kindergarten Worksheets
- Bingo Dauber Printables
- Printable Lowercase letter alphabet crafts
- Printable Uppercase alphabet Letter Crafts
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Letter Recognition Worksheets with do a do markers
- Lots of free ABC Printables for preschoolers
- Free Playdough Mats to work on shapes, numbers, colors, alphabet letters, and more!
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with animal alphabet mats
- Free Color Worksheets
- Simple, free alphabet worksheets