Kids will have fun traveling along with these fun, creative, and unique Transportation Books for Kids. We have picked over 50 fun-to-read books about transportation including trains, cars, boats, and trucks! These children’s books about transportation are perfec for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders to read along with a transportation theme or anytime you are looking for a geat book for preschoolers.
Car, Plans, and Trains o my! Kids will have fun reading this delightful Transportation Books for Kids! From transportation book choices about backhoes, dirty trucks, fast trains, garbage trucks, construction trucks, trains, planes, and noisy little cards – you will love cuddling up on the couch to read these super cute picture books with beautiful illustrations and engaging text. These transportation books are perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. These books about transportation are arranged by type to make it easy to find just the right book recommendation for your children. Because reading to children is super important for early literacy and the most important gauge for future success in academics. So start scrolling and find your new favorite transportation books for preschool.
Your big-truck-fan will love Backhoe Joe and following along as the boy dreams of owning a very unusual pet.
Kids will love reading the endearing bedtime rituals of these construction trucks in Where do Diggers Sleep at Night?
Who Made This Cake is a silly book about little people who use construction trucks to make a really BIG birthday cake.
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site is a #1 New York Bestseller for good reason. The sweet illustrations and charming text are sure to make this book a favorite with kids young and old.
Kids will love reading I’m Dirty in this book about a construction vehicle who LOVES every second of his dirty job!
What Can a Crane Pick Up is a charming, rhyming book about cranes that pick things up! It starts with pipes and bricks and loads of steel and then move on to funny, whimsical objects: a cow, a ferris wheel, men in business suits, and an ancient mummy’s case.
Books about transportation
Join in a colorful, noisy parade of construction vehicles in Tip Tip Dig Dig.
Roadwork is a riveting book that follows construction every step of the way. From clearing a pathway (screek! ) to rolling the tar (squelch! ) to sweeping up at the end (swish! ), Roadwork is sure to delight young truck-lovers with its rambunctious rhymes and noisy fun.
Mike Mulligan Steam Shovel is a modern classic that is sure to delight the next generation too. Simple illustrations and a story of friendship, and to old-fashioned hard work and ingenuity.
Transportation books for kids
Meet the Roadbuilders crew. Then you’ll see all the trucks up close—cement mixers, bulldozers, dump trucks, graders, pavers—and learn what each one does. And finally, you’ll watch a bustling new road come to life!
Katy is a brave tractor who pushes a bulldozer in the summer and a snowplow in the winter. Her hard work makes it possible for the townspeople to do their jobs.
This delightful twist on the 3 little pigs is a favorite in our house. Each little rigs set out to build their own garages, each one thinks that his is going to be the strongest. But then the big bad wrecking ball comes to call and threatens to smash their new homes to smithereens. The brothers learn that it’s only by bravery and teamwork that they can win the day.
Children’s books about transportation
Trashy Town is an endearing story of the local garbage trash collector Mr. Gilly that cheerfully cleans up Trashy Town. Kids will love the fun, repetitive verses.
Kids are naturally drawn to trucks. In I Love Trucks, kids can explore large trucks and the people who drive them.
Duck is driving home in his truck, when both he and the truck get stuck in some muck — yuck! But along comes a Frog from a bush who offers to push,then a Sheep in a jeep, and a Goat in a boat. Are the three friends strong enough to get the truck unstuck
Kids will love this laugh-out-loud picture book about the demanding and adorable pigeon in Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Meets the amazing zipping zooming trucks form A to Z in Alphabebeep.
Count down from ten to one with the busy construction trucks!
Kids will have fun reading, or singing along, to this classic Wheels on the Bus story with attention-getting illustrations.
Transportation Books for Preschoolers
Meet Hard Hat Pete and his little dump truck as they haul stones and rocks, carry debris, and unload at the landfill. It’s hard work, but the Little Dump Truck is always ready for action!
In this classic book a kind farmer gives a growing number of animals a ride in his dump truck. Your kids will ask for The Happy Man and His Dump Truck over and over again.
The street sweeper is a little truck with a very big job. While it is not the largest, fastest, or most powerful truck, a street sweeper does something that no other truck can do: it keeps our streets clean. And a street sweeper is so much fun to watch.
Kids will love the intriguing and in-depth illustrations in Cars and Trucks and Things that Go. Another great Richard Scarry book.
Sheep in a Jeep tells the story of a flock of silly sheep drive through the country in this rhyming picture book.
Transportation books for toddlers
This Little Blue Truck book (and the others that follow in the series) are my 3 year old’s favorite stories. A muddy country road is no match for Little Blue, a little pick-up truck that gets stuck while pushing a dump truck out of the muck. Luckily, Blue has made a pack of farm animal friends along his route. And they’re willing to whatever it takes to get their pal back on the road.
From big dogs and little dogs to red, green, and blue dogs, dogs going up and dogs going fast – kids will love this zany Go, Dog Go Dr. Seuss book.
Jack designs the ultimate dream car and then he and his dad set off on an adventure to test drive his car in this fun book – If I Built a Car.
Rattletrap Car doesn’t go very fast and it doesn’t go far, but with the help of some razzleberry dazzleberry snazzleberry fizz, a beach ball, a surfboard, and a three-speed, wind-up, paddle-wheel boat, they’re off to the lake.
Transportation books for preschoolers
The Ugly Truckling is another fun retake on a classic story by David Gordon. Your little plane lover will love this cute story.
Whether you are getting ready for a trip or just want to teach kids about taking a trip, kids will love the simple story that teaches kids what happens in an Airport.
The Noisy Airplane Ride does a great job of exploring the sounds kids will experience on an plane trip.
All aboard for Dreamland in The Goodnight Train! Hold on to your pillow because the Goodnight Train is taking off. Roll that corner, rock that curve, and soar past mermaids, leaping sheep, and even ice-cream clouds. You won’t want to miss a thing, so whatever you do, don’t . . . close . . . your . . . eyes!
Meet Mr. Small, the engineer who does it all. Come take a ride as you go through tunnels and over bridges with Mr. Small in The Little Train.
Who can resist the charming illustrations and classic text in this very loved book The Little Engine that Could.
The author introduces kids to the exciting world of trains with bold colors and simple text.
Preschool transportation books
Freight Train is one of our favorite books. It is a simple story that takes you on a beautiful ride through the city, country, and tunnels.
I’m Fast is an irresistible book about trains.
Kids will chuckle as a wacky animal crew toots the whistle and treats them to the delights only a train journey can offer.
Join this group of mischievous, playful, and sleepy baby animals on their way to the children’s zoo in Down by the Station.
Transportation Books for Toddlers
Trains is a great way for kids to learn about all the inner workings of riding on a train.
This time Mr. Small is a sailor in The Little Sailboat! Captain Small and his dog Tinker sail and fish together. When a storm comes, Captain Small heads for the safety of the shore.
Join three bear siblings break their mother’s favorite blue seashell, and rather than tell her, they decide to set out in their sailboat to find her a new one. On their quest they encounter salty sailors, strange new islands, huge whales, and vast seas but no blue seashells.
Kids will be delighted by the stunning illustrations and rhyming text in Circus Ship. Find out what happens to the animals when they go overboard.
A little boy has a toy boat that he made out of a can, a cork, a yellow pencil, and some white cloth. The boy and his boat are inseparable . . . until the day the wind pushes the boat out into the wide lake.
Let your kids sail away on an adventure from the bathtub to the deep blue sea.
Sing along to a child favorite song as you turn the pages in this beautifully illustrated Row Row Row Your Boat.
Did you have a favorite preschool book about cars or transportation read aloud? I hope your child enjoyed these books about transportation as much as mine did!
Looking for more fun, free transportation printables to help kids learn a variety of skills with a fun transporation theme? You will love these transportation free printables:
- Construction Worksheets – looking for another huge pack with tons of activities to help teach your kindergartner? You will love this huge construction theme!
- Dump Truck Counting Mat – Count to 20 activity that uses foil or playdough as a hands on manipulative.
- Help kid spractice a variety of skills with this HUGE pack of Transportation Worksheets
- Transportation Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids improve reading skills with this fun transportation themed learning activity
- Tools matching upper and lowercase letters game printable activity
- Free printable preschool worksheets tracing letters – practice handwriting while tracing letters with this fun transportation theme printable
- Preschool Construction Theme Printables to practice a variety of math and literacy skills with a no prep activity for early learners.
- Transportation Playdough Mats – Kids will have fun recreating vehicles while strengthening hands using play dough.
- School Bus Alphabet Matching – practice matter upper and lowerase letters with a fun back to school theme.
- Check out these transportation activities for preschool
- Transportation Pom Pom Activity Sheets – work on one to one correspondence with this fun hands-on transportation activity
- Make some artwork as you try this silly painting with cars activity for kids
- Practicing counting to 100 with this number train printable
- Don’t miss these fun-to-read Transportation Books for Kids
- Airplane cvc words worksheets to complete with do a dot markers
- Crazy Roads Kindergarten Sight Words Game or the pre-k sight words version or first grade sight words games edition
- Practice sight words with this fun, Train themed sightwordgame
Book recommendations for Kids
- Tons of books for preschoolers
- Must Read Kindergarten Reading Books pdf free, free Kindergarten Reading Level Book List, Favorite Read Aloud Books for Kindergarten
- 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read by Themselves – Level 1 Reading Books pdf free, Fun-to-Read First Grade Picture Books, First Grade Read Aloud Chapter Books
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders, 2nd Graders, and 3rd Graders – favorite series to keep kids reading!
- Best Read Aloud Chapter Books for 2nd Grade, Check out these 2nd Grade Reading Books pdf free
- Handy Grade 3 Reading Books pdf FREE
- Free 4th Grade Reading List pdf
- Printable Grade 5 Reading books pdf
- Exciting Historical Fiction Books for Kids and 25 Exciting Historical Fiction Books for 4th Graders
- Alphabet Books for Children, Transportation Books for Kids, Space Books for Kids that are out-of-this-world
- Funny Picture Books for kids of all ages, Sweet Picture Books about Family, Fun Zoo Books for Kids
- Books about community helpers, Beautiful Animal Books for Preschoolers, Preschool Color Books
- Creepy, Crawly Bug Books for Preschool kids, Rhyming Books for Kindergarten
- See all of our popular kids books to read
- Handy, Reading Comprehension bookmarks (any book: fiction or non fiction)
- Free Book Report Template for elementary age students or Book Report Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Simple, one page Book Report Templates to ensure kids are understanding the main charaters, setting, and idea of what they are reading
- Super cute Pizza Book Report Idea with Free printable template or sandwich book report freebie
- Free 3rd Grade Book Report template choices
- 26 more clever Book Report Ideas, Ralph Waldo Poetry Worksheets
- See if kids remember the moral of the story with these FREE Aesop Fables Worksheets pdf
- This Library Scavenger Hunt helps kids learn to navigate a library or this Reading Scavenger Hunt
- Bookshelf Reading Log printable – to help encourage kids to read!
- How to teach elementary age students to write a Ralph Waldo Poetry Worksheets
- Free Parts of a Book Worksheet or these parts of a book for kids coloring pages that use playdough
- Plus, grab these super cute, free printable Star Wars bookmarks for kids!