Are you trying to figure out what books should be on your 2nd grade book list? We’ve done all the work for you and compiled the best books for your 2nd grade reading list. We’ve even put together a free printable second grade reading list! Here are over 40 must read books for your 2nd grade reading books that your child will love; arranged conveniently by book level. Simply download pdf file with 2nd grade reading list printable and you are ready to head to the library to get your books!
2nd Grade Reading List
Most grade 2 students are able to read a lot on their own. And the more they read, the quicker they read, the better word fluency, the bigger vocabulary they will learn, the better their spelling typically gets, and the more they will start to love reading. Because we all tend to love things we are good at. So help your second grader pick really great books they will enjoy reading with this 2nd Grade Reading List. This second grade reading books includes adventure books, animal books, funny books, and more! There is a story for all kids on this list second grade reading list. Whether you want to learn some history, read classic early childhood books, read about dragons or frogs or pirates – we’ve got so many choices in this 2nd grade books to read.
2nd Grade Book List
2nd Grade Reading Books
Bubble Trouble by Margaret Mahy (1.9) follows a young girl named Mabel as she and her family chase her little brother who got trapped in a bubble and floated away.
Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat (2.0) is the first in a series about a young detective who solves mysteries with the help of his friends.
Daniel’s Duck by Clyde Robert Bulla (2.0) is a story about a young boy named Daniel who lives during pioneer days. After carving an animal, he is hurt when others laugh at him, but he learns an important lesson about bringing joy to others.
The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman (2.1) follows Mr. and Mrs. Bird as they try to find a better nest, leading to some interesting locations.
My Brother, Ant by Betsy Byars (2.2) shares four stories about Ant and his big brother as they have some funny and exciting adventures together.
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie by Peter Roop (2.2) tells the true story of Abbie Burgess, the young girl who kept the lighthouse lamps burning during a terrible storm in 1856.
A Kiss for Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik (2.3) follows a thank you kiss from Little Bear’s grandmother as it travels from animal to animal, making it’s way back to Little Bear.
Brave Norman : A True Story by Andrew Clements (2.3) tells the heroic story of Norman, a blind dog who saves a young girl from the water.
Daniel’s Mystery Egg by Alma Flor Ada (2.3) follows a young boy named Daniel and his class as they try to guess what is inside the egg that Daniel found.
Second grade reading list
Bonjour, Babar by Jean De Brunhoff (2.3) introduces little ones to the elephant named Babar, and all of the adventures that he embarks on.
Pinkalicious: The Pinkerrific Playdate by Victoria Kann (2.4) joins Pinkalicious and her new friend Rose as they enjoy a playdate full of fun activities.
Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel (2.4) follows a little mouse trying to escape becoming a Weasel’s dinner by distracting him with stories.
Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test by Cynthia Rylant (2.4) joins Henry and Mudge on a mission to teach Mudge some manners.
Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish (2.5) introduces readers to the beloved character who constantly gets into trouble by taking figures of speech literally.
Marley: Firehouse Dog by John Grogan (2.5) joins Marley’s family as they visit the firehouse, and get a surprise visit from Marley the dog who decides to join them.
The Berenstain Bears’ Seashore Treasure by Jan Berenstain (2.5) follows the Berenstain Bear family as they try to follow a treasure map at the seashore.
Wagon Wheels by Barbara Brenner (2.6) tells the story of 3 brothers who learn to take care of one another and face the dangers in the wild together.
2nd grade books to read
Frog & Toad All Year by Arnold Lobel (2.6) is a collection of stories following the beloved characters as they have fun together through each of the seasons of the year.
The Big Balloon Race by Eleanor Coerr (2.6) follows the young Ariel as she sneaks aboard her mother’s hot air balloon on the day of the big race.
Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel (2.7) is a collection of stories that introduce the reader to the adorable Owl and his life at home.
20,000 Baseball Cards Under the Sea by Jon Buller (2.7) joins a young boy named Roger, and his older friend Kenneth as they go on an undersea adventure and discover a valuable treasure.
Meet Mr. & Mrs. Green by Keith Baker (2.8) follows two alligators as they go camping, head to the fair, and eat lots of tasty snacks together.
Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea by Cynthia Rylant (2.8) introduces readers to a lonely old man named Mr. Putter, and the cat who becomes his friend.
No Sword Fighting in the House by Susanna Leonard Hill (2.8) follows two young boys as they take their sword fighting outside, and cause trouble for their gardener mother.
2nd grade reading level books
Pompeii Buried Alive by Edith Kunhardt Davis (2.9) is a factual retelling of the events of the Pompeii eruption, and the lives of those living near Mount Vesuvius at the time.
Hill of Fire by Thomas P. Lewis (2.9) tells the story of a farmer in Mexico and a volcano that erupts in the middle of his cornfields.
The Fire Cat by Esther Averill (2.9) follows a cat named Pickles as he is adopted by the local firehouse and learns how to be a fire cat.
Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel (2.9) is a collection of stories following Frog and Toad, two best friends who love spending time together.
Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland by Wong Herbert Yee (2.9) follows two best friends who like doing different things, but still love being together.
Pet Show by Ezra Jack Keats (2.9) tells the story of a young boy named Archie as he tries to join the neighborhood pet show, even after his cat goes missing.
The Titanic Lost & Found by Judy Donnelly (3.0) is an informative account of the sinking of the Titanic, and the discovery of the wreckage many years later.
Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel (3.0) joins a mouse family at bedtime as Papa mouse tells seven stories for his seven children.
Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (3.1) follows a cap selling peddler as he tries to outwit a group of mischievous monkeys.
The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone (3.2) tells the story of an older couple who long for a child, and create a gingerbread boy to bring them joy and companionship.
2nd grade level books
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (3.2) follows a young girl and her father as they go owling in the woods one winter evening.
The Sword in the Tree by Clyde Robert Bulla (3.2) is a story of Shan, a boy who becomes a knight during the times of King Arthur, and the adventures that he has.
The Three Little Pigs by Paul Galdone (3.2) is a retelling of the classic story about 3 pigs who go out on their own, and the wolf who hunts them.
A Gift for Tia Rosa by Karen T. Taha (3.2) follows a young girl named Little Carmela as she deals with the illness and death of her beloved neighbor, and decides on a way to express her love.
- 50 Books for Kindergarten Book List – Books for Kindergarteners to read themselves
- Best kindergarten books to read aloud
- 1st grade reading books pdf – 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read Themselves
- 1st grade picture books
- First grade read aloud chapter books
- Top 25 Chapter books for 1st graders
- Read aloud chapter books for 2nd grade
- Homeschool 3rd grade reading list
- 4th Grade Book List
- 5th grade reading book lists
- Historical fiction books for kids
Free Printable Reading Logs
- Monthly Reading Log – this free printable has ‘traditional’ monthly themes
- Bookshelf Free Printable Reading Logs – super cute and fun for kids of all ages!
- Pencil Free Printable Reading Logs -print reading worksheet and color a pencil for each book you read
- Frozen Free Printable Reading Logs – kids will have fun tracking their reading and the books they’ve read with this motivating free printable for kids of all ages
- Princess Free Printable Reading Logs – students will have fun tracking their reading with these free printable reading logs
- Super Hero Free Printable Reading Logs – using a favorite theme of kids will encourage kids to read
- Cars Free Printable Book Logs – children will have fun tracking the books they’ve read with these clever free reading log
- Summer Free Printable Reading Logs – students will be motivated to read this summer with these ideas
- Reading Comprehension Bookmarks – this is a great tool for making sure kids are understanding what they are reading
- Reading Levels by Grade – how to pick the right books for every reading level and tons of printable book lists too
Looking for more free printable activities for second graders? You will love these activities:
- LOTS of Free 2nd Grade Worksheets
- Crab Contractions Activity
- 2nd Grade Crossword Puzzles to work on spelling words
- Grab the 2nd grade reading list or check out read alouds for 2nd grade
- Bandaid Contraction Games
- Minion Contraction Games
- Bingo Contraction Games
- Dominoes Contraction Games
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worksheets
- BINGO Digraph Game
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt for learning about different genres of books, book catalog, and so much more
- Dictionary Detective Worksheets and free printable cases for kids
- Pizza Book Report Templates
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Games 2nd Grade
- Super CUTE, Free Skip Counting Charts – 1s-15s
- Spring Double Digit Addition Game
- NO PREP, Telling Time Worksheets pdf
- Free Clock Mazes – Telling Time Games
- Counting Coins Games – Clip Cards
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minute
2nd Grade Worksheets
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Animals and Hibernation Worksheet
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheets
- Free Printable Animal Report Template
- Cut and Paste Animal Classification Worksheet
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets or see all our life cycle worksheets
- Free Habitat Game for 2nd Grade
- Color Changing Flowers Science Experiment
- Lots of Printables and activities to learn about Countries for Kids
- We have almost 50 individual country studies for kids like this Colombia for Kids
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- FREE Printable World Map for Kids
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Patriotic Symbols Mini Book to read, color, and learn
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- Super CUTE, Free State Coloring Pages
- USA for Kids printable book to read, color and learn
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- 1980s for Kids Printable American History Reader
2nd Grade Reading Books pdf
To make it easies to pick out books at the library I made a printable from this list. Just pick the style you like and print that page. Fold in half and laminate for a convenient bookmark. Use a dry erase markers to cross off books you finish.
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission fromn Scrappin Doodles License #94836 & ClipArtopia
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!