These Animal Classification worksheet pages are a great way for children of all ages to practice and improve their knowledge of animals as well as work on their fine motor skills. In these classifying animals worksheet, chidlren will cut and paste the animals into the correct columns. This animal classification for kids activity is perfect for first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too. Simply print free printable animal classification worksheets and you are ready to play and learn about animals for kids.
Animal Classification Worksheet
Animal classification is when scientists organize animals into groups and sort them by what they have in common. This makes it easier for scientists to study animals. For an example: A whale and a dog don’t have as much in common, but a dog and a wolf do. The five most well known classes of vertebrates (animals with backbones) are mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians. Two of the most commonly known classes of invertebrates (animals without a backbone) are arachnids (spiders) and insects. These classification of animals worksheet pdf are a great way for elementary age chidren in grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and garde 6 students to learn about animal classifications for kids! You will love these handy classification worksheet pages!
Free printable animal classification worksheets
Classifying animals worksheet
- Mammals – have hair or fur; are warm-blooded; most are born alive; the young are fed milk produced by the mother’s body; and they have a more complex brain than other animals.
- Birds – all have feathers, wings, and a beak.
- Fish – live in water their entire lives, are vertebrates (have a backbone), and use gills to breathe in the water.
- Reptiles – are air-breathing vertebrates covered in special skin made up of scales, bony plates, or a combination of both; they are cold blooded (meaning they cannot regulate their own body temperature, but it is dependent on the outside air)
- Amphibians – small vertebrates that need water, or a moist environment, to survive.
- Arachnids – joint-legged invertebrate animals; no antennae, claws, or wings, but instead have mandibles for biting and chewing prey; Eight appendages; fused head and thorax.
- Insects – has three main parts (a head, a thorax, and an abdomen); compound eyes; two antennae; wings and legs. All insects have six legs (three pairs of jointed legs) and usually four wings (two pairs).
- Mollusks – all have a shell, most mollusks have a muscular foot for creeping or burrowing; soft body includes lungs or gills for breathing; enclosed by a skin-like organ called the mantle.
Animal Classifications for Kids
Use these animal classification worksheets for kids to practice cutting and pasting as well as learning about the different types of animals and how they are classified. These simple, yet thorough animal classification worksheet 5th grade is a wonderful tool for learning about different animals.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this animal classification activity is a fun way to review or learn more about classifying animals based on what they have in common. Use this classifying animals worksheet 3rd grade pdf as a supplement to a zoology course, in a science center in your classroom, or as a fun summer learning activity to keep your children learning during the summer.
Classifying Animals Worksheet
There are six different classification of animals worksheet for grade 6 that include 11 different animal classifications. The pages include:
- Fish or Mollusk – clam, catfish, snail, marlin, trout, octopus, salmon, limpet, clownfish, scallop, oyster, barracuda
- Insect or Bird – cricket, owl, eagle, grasshopper, hawk, honey ant, parrot, hornet, termite, pelican, wasp, woodpecker
- Viviparous or Oviparous (give life birth or are egg laying) – whale, chicken, python, elephant, platypus, lion, salamander, cow, chimp, turtle, kangaroo, frog
- Vertebrate or Invertebrate (backbone or no backbone) – jellyfish, bird, lizard, urchin, spider, kangaroo, shrimp, lion, starfish, elephant, cow, whelk
- Mammal or Bird – walrus, eagle, gorilla, woodpecker, skunk, pelican, parrot, rabbit, rat, owl, hawk, possum
- Nocturnal or Diurnal (most active at night or active during the day) – gorilla, bat, emu, firefly, elephant, chimpanzee, cow, butterfly, toad, racoon, fox, owl
If your student is unsure of what characteristics each animal has this is a great chance to teach them about research using an encyclopedia, animal classification book, kid-safe website, etc. If you do head to the library to complete this project, don’t miss a chance to learn about the library with these educational, Library Scavenger Hunts.
Classification of animals worksheet
Each classification of animals worksheet for grade 5 page includes pictures of twelve different animals. Each animal has its name typed underneath to help children work out which animal it is. There are two columns at the top of the page, six of these animals go into each of the columns.
Once they know what each classification means, they will need to cut out the 12 boxes at the bottom of the page that contains the animals. Once they have worked out which classification the animal belongs to, they will need to paste the animal in the correct column. These worksheets could be laminated and held together with a ring. An answer key to help teachers and homeschooling families quickly grade the science worksheets for kids is included.
- Are you My Mother? Matching Mom & Baby Farm Animals
- Animal Homes Clip Cards
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Nocturnal Animal Game for Kids
- Zoo Animal Reports
- Free Zoo Animals Worksheet – several leverls to choose from toddler, prek, elementary and middle school
- Jello Animal Cell Project
- Animal Habitats Activity with Animal Cookies
- Silly Animals and their Habitats Activity
- Animal Habitats Worksheets to complete with circle stickers
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Animal Cookie Matching Activity
- Jello Animal Cells Project
- Silly Puzzles Animal Habitat Activity
- Nocturnal Animals Printables
- Endangered Animals Worksheets
- Forest Animals Themed Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Themed Worksheets
- Desert Animals Themed Worksheets
- Pond Worksheets for Kids
- Turkey Life Cycle Worksheets
- Life Cycle of Salmon Worksheets
- Life Cycle of an Ant
- Free Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheets
- Hatching Butterflies with Free Butterfly Printable worksheet and observation journal
- Life Cycles for Kids – a growing collection with over 20 different animals to explore from penguins to sunflowers, salmon, butterfly, and more!
- Animal Habitat Game
Animal Printables for Kids
We have lots of fun, hands on activities to teach kids about animals! Whether you are completing a zoology lesson , supplementing your homeschool science lesson, or just learning about your child’s favorite animals, we’ve got some fantastic resources filled with cute clipart and engaging activities:
- Free Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt (includes simple picture clues for Pre k and more complex animal classification, biomes, endangered threat, etc for older elementary age students
- Animal Classification Worksheets to cut & paste
- Free Hibernation Printables
- Shark for Kids Printble Reader
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Ocean Animals for Kids – over 240 pages organized into 7 lessons to study aquatic animals using easy-to-understand text, hands-on science experiments, fun worksheets, and more with K-8th grade students.
- Animal Habitat Worksheets – Do a Dot Printable
- Jungle Writing Prompts Worksheets for kids
Animals for Kids
Sneak in some additional learning activities featuring these amazing animals with these clever resources:
- Zoo Animals Color by Number
- Count to 10 Zoo Animals Reader
- Animal Homes for Kids Clip Cards
- I Spy Animals Worskheet
- Jungle Animal Coloring Pages
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Preschool Animals Theme
- Animal Activities for Preschoolers with Animal Cookies
- Beginning Sounds Animal Cards
- Uppercase Tracing Letters with Animals A-Z
- Printable Animal Masks
- Animal I Spy
- Count and Cover Zoo Animals with Cheerios
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
Cut and Paste Worksheets
Looking for more kid-favorite, free cut and paste worksheets? Check out these resources:
- Cut and Paste Short U Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Shape Worksheets
- Ice Cream Cut and Paste Worksheets to make a Sight Word Reader
- Flower word family cut and paste worksheets
- Trigraph Cut and Paste Worksheets
- ABC Order Farm Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Alphabet Worksheets
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Long and Short Vowels Worksheets
- Acorn Cut and Paste Math Worksheets for 1st grade
- Money Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Free Cut and Paste Sentences
- Animal Classifications Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Free Alphabet Cut and Paste Worksheets with writing pracctice
3rd Grade Worksheets
- Free 3rd Grade Math Worksheets with answer keys
- See all our our 3rd grade worksheets and educational activities
- Grade 3 Reading Books pdf list or this printable 3rd grade reading list
- Two Digit Addition Math Game
- Three Digit Addition Math Game
- 2 Digit Subtraction Math Game
- Ice Cream Sundae Place Value Activity
- PB & J Place Value Activity
- Pirate Place Value Game
3rd Grade Math
- Free Printable Skip Counting Charts
- Skip Counting Worksheets
- Hands-on Skip Coutning Puzzles
- Lego Multiplication Flashcards – help kids gain fluency with these free printable flashcards
- Practice Multiplication with Hopscotch – quick to learn and play multiplication math game for 1-2 players
- Home Run Division – kids will get excited about practicing math with this baseball themed division math game for 1-2 players
- Deck of Cards Division -these division worksheets are ever changing making it a wonderful, hands on way for kids to practice math!
- Multiplication Mini book – help kids learn their math facts by making this handy multiplication facts book
- Skip Counting Posters – handy tool to help kids learn to skip count by 1s-12s to make a firm foundation for multiplication and division
- Robot Money Practice – easy, no prep robot themed activty for kids to practice counting money
- Telling Time Puzzles – kids will have fun putting together the puzzle as they practice figuring out what time it is
- Knights Quest Division Math Game – a clever division game with a medieval castle / knight theme!
- Hot Chocolate Math: Multiplication & Division
3rd Grade Language Arts
- FREE Book Report Tempalte 3rd Grade or this simple Book Report Template
- Creative Sandwich Book Report or this fun Pizza Book Report
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worskheets
- Detective Parts of Speech Games Printable
- 20 FUn Punctuation Activities for Kids
- Pumpkin Homophone Activity
- LOTS of FREE Printable Writing Prompts
- Free SPelling Dictionary
- Dictionary Detective Activity with free printable cases with answer keys!
3rd Grade Social Studies
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
3rd Grade Science
- Free Scientific Method Worksheet
- Playdough Layers of the Earth activity
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Free 4 Season Printables
- EPIC Lego Water Cycle Model for Kids
- Large Printable Weather Unit for kids
- Rain Cloud for Kids experiment and free worksheet
- Water Cycle for Kids Printable Book
- Hibernation preschool activities learning about weather
- Severe Storms for Kids – includes tornado in a bottle, what to do in an emergency, and storm worksheets for kids
- How to Make a Weather Vane – easy weather science project for elementary age students
- Lots of fun ideas for a weather theme this week
- Clever Rain Craft for kids to make
- Simple Air Pressure Experiments for kids
- Recycling Worksheets
- Animal Classification Worksheets
- LOTS of projects to learn about the human body for kids
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Lesson
Animal classification worksheet pdf
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!