These Animal Classification worksheet pages are a great way for children of all ages to practice and improve their knowledge of animals as well as work on their fine motor skills. In these classifying animals worksheet, chidlren will cut and paste the animals into the correct columns. This animal classification for kids activity is perfect for first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too. Simply print free printable animal classification worksheets and you are ready to play and learn about animals for kids.
Animal Classification Worksheet
Animal classification is when scientists organize animals into groups and sort them by what they have in common. This makes it easier for scientists to study animals. For an example: A whale and a dog don’t have as much in common, but a dog and a wolf do. The five most well known classes of vertebrates (animals with backbones) are mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians. Two of the most commonly known classes of invertebrates (animals without a backbone) are arachnids (spiders) and insects. These classification of animals worksheet pdf are a great way for elementary age chidren in grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and garde 6 students to learn about animal classifications for kids! You will love these handy classification worksheet pages!
Free printable animal classification worksheets
Classifying animals worksheet
- Mammals – have hair or fur; are warm-blooded; most are born alive; the young are fed milk produced by the mother’s body; and they have a more complex brain than other animals.
- Birds – all have feathers, wings, and a beak.
- Fish – live in water their entire lives, are vertebrates (have a backbone), and use gills to breathe in the water.
- Reptiles – are air-breathing vertebrates covered in special skin made up of scales, bony plates, or a combination of both; they are cold blooded (meaning they cannot regulate their own body temperature, but it is dependent on the outside air)
- Amphibians – small vertebrates that need water, or a moist environment, to survive.
- Arachnids – joint-legged invertebrate animals; no antennae, claws, or wings, but instead have mandibles for biting and chewing prey; Eight appendages; fused head and thorax.
- Insects – has three main parts (a head, a thorax, and an abdomen); compound eyes; two antennae; wings and legs. All insects have six legs (three pairs of jointed legs) and usually four wings (two pairs).
- Mollusks – all have a shell, most mollusks have a muscular foot for creeping or burrowing; soft body includes lungs or gills for breathing; enclosed by a skin-like organ called the mantle.
Animal Classifications for Kids
Use these animal classification worksheets for kids to practice cutting and pasting as well as learning about the different types of animals and how they are classified. These simple, yet thorough animal classification worksheet 5th grade is a wonderful tool for learning about different animals.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this animal classification activity is a fun way to review or learn more about classifying animals based on what they have in common. Use this classifying animals worksheet 3rd grade pdf as a supplement to a zoology course, in a science center in your classroom, or as a fun summer learning activity to keep your children learning during the summer.
Classifying Animals Worksheet
There are six different classification of animals worksheet for grade 6 that include 11 different animal classifications. The pages include:
- Fish or Mollusk – clam, catfish, snail, marlin, trout, octopus, salmon, limpet, clownfish, scallop, oyster, barracuda
- Insect or Bird – cricket, owl, eagle, grasshopper, hawk, honey ant, parrot, hornet, termite, pelican, wasp, woodpecker
- Viviparous or Oviparous (give life birth or are egg laying) – whale, chicken, python, elephant, platypus, lion, salamander, cow, chimp, turtle, kangaroo, frog
- Vertebrate or Invertebrate (backbone or no backbone) – jellyfish, bird, lizard, urchin, spider, kangaroo, shrimp, lion, starfish, elephant, cow, whelk
- Mammal or Bird – walrus, eagle, gorilla, woodpecker, skunk, pelican, parrot, rabbit, rat, owl, hawk, possum
- Nocturnal or Diurnal (most active at night or active during the day) – gorilla, bat, emu, firefly, elephant, chimpanzee, cow, butterfly, toad, racoon, fox, owl
If your student is unsure of what characteristics each animal has this is a great chance to teach them about research using an encyclopedia, animal classification book, kid-safe website, etc. If you do head to the library to complete this project, don’t miss a chance to learn about the library with these educational, Library Scavenger Hunts.
Classification of animals worksheet
Each classification of animals worksheet for grade 5 page includes pictures of twelve different animals. Each animal has its name typed underneath to help children work out which animal it is. There are two columns at the top of the page, six of these animals go into each of the columns.
Once they know what each classification means, they will need to cut out the 12 boxes at the bottom of the page that contains the animals. Once they have worked out which classification the animal belongs to, they will need to paste the animal in the correct column. These worksheets could be laminated and held together with a ring. An answer key to help teachers and homeschooling families quickly grade the science worksheets for kids is included.
- Are you My Mother? Matching Mom & Baby Farm Animals
- Animal Homes Clip Cards
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Nocturnal Animal Game for Kids
- Zoo Animal Reports
- Free Zoo Animals Worksheet – several leverls to choose from toddler, prek, elementary and middle school
- Jello Animal Cell Project
- Animal Habitats Activity with Animal Cookies
- Silly Animals and their Habitats Activity
- Animal Habitats Worksheets to complete with circle stickers
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Animal Cookie Matching Activity
- Jello Animal Cells Project
- Silly Puzzles Animal Habitat Activity
- Nocturnal Animals Printables
- Endangered Animals Worksheets
- Forest Animals Themed Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Themed Worksheets
- Desert Animals Themed Worksheets
- Pond Worksheets for Kids
- Turkey Life Cycle Worksheets
- Life Cycle of Salmon Worksheets
- Life Cycle of an Ant
- Free Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheets
- Hatching Butterflies with Free Butterfly Printable worksheet and observation journal
- Life Cycles for Kids – a growing collection with over 20 different animals to explore from penguins to sunflowers, salmon, butterfly, and more!
- Animal Habitat Game
Animal Printables for Kids
We have lots of fun, hands on activities to teach kids about animals! Whether you are completing a zoology lesson , supplementing your homeschool science lesson, or just learning about your child’s favorite animals, we’ve got some fantastic resources filled with cute clipart and engaging activities:
- Free Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt (includes simple picture clues for Pre k and more complex animal classification, biomes, endangered threat, etc for older elementary age students
- Animal Classification Worksheets to cut & paste
- Free Hibernation Printables
- Shark for Kids Printble Reader
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Ocean Animals for Kids – over 240 pages organized into 7 lessons to study aquatic animals using easy-to-understand text, hands-on science experiments, fun worksheets, and more with K-8th grade students.
- Animal Habitat Worksheets – Do a Dot Printable
- Jungle Writing Prompts Worksheets for kids
Animals for Kids
Sneak in some additional learning activities featuring these amazing animals with these clever resources:
- Zoo Animals Color by Number
- Count to 10 Zoo Animals Reader
- Animal Homes for Kids Clip Cards
- I Spy Animals Worskheet
- Jungle Animal Coloring Pages
- Biomes Coloring Pages
- Preschool Animals Theme
- Animal Activities for Preschoolers with Animal Cookies
- Beginning Sounds Animal Cards
- Uppercase Tracing Letters with Animals A-Z
- Printable Animal Masks
- Animal I Spy
- Count and Cover Zoo Animals with Cheerios
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
Cut and Paste Worksheets
Looking for more kid-favorite, free cut and paste worksheets? Check out these resources:
- Cut and Paste Short U Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Shape Worksheets
- Ice Cream Cut and Paste Worksheets to make a Sight Word Reader
- Flower word family cut and paste worksheets
- Trigraph Cut and Paste Worksheets
- ABC Order Farm Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Alphabet Worksheets
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Long and Short Vowels Worksheets
- Acorn Cut and Paste Math Worksheets for 1st grade
- Money Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Free Cut and Paste Sentences
- Animal Classifications Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Free Alphabet Cut and Paste Worksheets with writing pracctice
Second Grade Worksheets
Looking for more 2nd grade worksheets? You will love these activities:
- Crab Contractions Activity
- 2nd Grade Crossword Puzzles to work on spelling words
- Grab the 2nd grade reading list or check out read alouds for 2nd grade
- Bandaid Contraction Games
- Minion Contraction Games
- Bingo Contraction Games
- Dominoes Contraction Games
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worksheets
- BINGO Digraph Game
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt for learning about different genres of books, book catalog, and so much more
- Dictionary Detective Worksheets and free printable cases for kids
- Pizza Book Report Templates
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Games 2nd Grade
- Super CUTE, Free Skip Counting Charts – 1s-15s
- Spring Double Digit Addition Game
- NO PREP, Telling Time Worksheets pdf
- Free Clock Mazes – Telling Time Games
- Counting Coins Games – Clip Cards
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minute
Free Printable Worksheets for 2nd Grade
Plus dont’ miss these grade 2 worksheets:
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Animals and Hibernation Worksheet
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheets
- Free Printable Animal Report Template
- Cut and Paste Animal Classification Worksheet
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets or see all our life cycle worksheets
- Free Habitat Game for 2nd Grade
- Color Changing Flowers Science Experiment
- Lots of Printables and activities to learn about Countries for Kids
- We have almost 50 individual country studies for kids like this Colombia for Kids
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- FREE Printable World Map for Kids
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Many 2nd grader learn about the USA. These 2nd grade homeschool worksheets will help children learn about the great country of the United States! WE have so many resources and second grade worksheets to choose from!
- Patriotic Symbols Mini Book to read, color, and learn
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- Super CUTE, Free State Coloring Pages
- USA for Kids printable book to read, color and learn
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
Animal classification worksheet pdf
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
I love your wp web template, wherever do you download it from?