Confused by Contractions? This super cute, free Band-Aid contraction games printable is a fun, hands-on contractions activity to help kids understand how contractions are made up of two different words. These contraction games are perfect for 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th graders. Simply print pdf file with contractions exercises with answers and you are ready to play and learn!
It can be difficult for kids to grasp contractions. But I’ve found that turning things into fun, educational activities where kids are engaged not only makes learning fun, but helps children retain what they’ve learned better. This contraction game is a great way for students in grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, and grade 5 to grasp how contractions are formed and practice making common contractions. Use this for teaching contractions or as a way to practice with a fun contractions activity. Either way you will love how it is a mix of a contraction words worksheet and contraction games for the perfect blend of educational, but FUN! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love that this activity makes great extra practice, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your English Grammar curriculum or homeschool spelling curriculum.
Contraction Games Printable
What is a Contraction?
A contraction is a shortened form of a group of words that omits certain letters or sounds and replaces them with an apostrophe. Usually, contractions are made up of verbs. Common examples of contractions include: He would = He’d. I have=I’ve. They are = They’re. You cannot = You can’t.
Contractions Games Free
Kids wil love the clever doctor theme of this activity! This is such a clever addition to any literacy center, community helper theme or lesson plan. It is the perfect blend of worksheet and hands-on grammar activity. For this contractions in english worksheets you will need to:
- print 13 copies of free contraction worksheets, cut in half, and staple into a Prescription Pad.
- cut out the strips of words in the boxes
- cut out the cute apostrophe band aids (or use real band-aids)
Contractions game printable
Children will take a strip of two words from the contraction worksheets grade 2.
Contraction activities for 2nd grade
Write the word pair on the symptom words line of the RX Perscription pad.
Free contraction activities
Students will use their scissors to combine the “symptom words” and paste together using an apostrophe band aid to make a “contraction diagnosis”. Don’t forget to sign the perscription pad as the perscribing Dr.
Contraction games for kids
This is such a fun, hands on activity to help kids grasp how contractions are formed and gain familiarity with common contractions.
You can make the perscription pad re-usable to save on printing by laminating and using a dry erase marker. You will also want to laminate the band-aid apostrophes. The word pairs will need to be printed again as they will be cut to visually understand how the two words come together to make a new contraction word.
Free contraction games
This free contraction game for kids contains the following words:
- can’t = can not
- aren’t = are not
- hasn’t = has not
- didn’t – did not
- I’m = I am
- you’re = you are
- he’s = he is
- I’ve = I have
- that’s = that is
- haven’t – have not
- I’ll = I will
- how’s = how is
- won’t = would not
- it’s = it is
- let’s = let us
- you’ll = you will
- wouldn’t = would not
- we’ll = we will
- they’re = they are
- she’s = she is
- we’re = we are
- don’t = do not
- isn’t = is not
- weren’t = were not
- shouldn’t = should not
- couldn’t = could not
Games for teaching contractions
My kiddos always loved doing hands-on activities and worksheets and it helped the concept to stick better too.
Contractions game free
Sometimes seeing an activity in action helps it make more sense. So take a peak!
- FREE Printable Contraction Worksheets
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Contraction Bingo Game
- Minion Contraction Games
- Band-Aid Contractions Activity – Free Printable Grammar Game for Kids
- Contraction Dominoes
- You may also want learn dictionary skills with Dictionary Detectives
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
Language Arts Activities for Kids
- Cut and Paste Sentences Worksheets
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets – work with any list!
- Free Writing Prompts – LOTS for elementary age students with rules lines, creative prompt calendars, and more!
- Detective Themed Dictionary Skills Worksheets
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activities
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun and Verb Games Printable
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- Parts of Speech BINGO – practice with noun, verb, adverb, adjectives, and more!
- Band-Aid Contraction Games for practicing making contractions of common words
- Free Reading Log Printables – including Cars, Frozen, summer, and so many more!
- S’more Complete Sentences Game
- Solve it! Parts of Speech Games Printable
- Pizza Parlor Sentence Building Games
- Free Book Report Template
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE 4th grade worksheets, pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
By using materials from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836 and Digi Web Studio
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!