Help your first grader get the math practice they need to achieve fluency with addition and subtraction by using these super cute, free printable, 1st grade math worksheets. These first grade math worksheets are a great way for grade 1 students to have fun practicing math with Mad Minutes Math Game. Simply print 1st grade worksheets pdf file and you are ready to practice with math worksheets grade 1 any time! Plus instructions for how to turn free math worksheets into a fun math game – MAD MINUTES!
1st grade Math Worksheets
We are always looking for fun ways for our kids to practice math. It is so important to get a firm foundation in preparation for higher math. So we try to make math practice for grade 1 students fun so they look forward to and enjoy adding and subtracting single and double digit numbers. These 1st grade math worksheets are handy, no-prep free 1st grade worksheets! Plus by turning these free first grade math worksheets into a fun math kids will be engaged as you make learning fun! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these grade 1 math worksheets to help kids practice addition and practice subtraction. Use these free math worksheets for 1st grade as extra practice, summer learning, math center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
First Grade Math Worksheets
1st grade worksheets
I remember doing Mad Minutes growing up. I was pretty good at Math, and I loved the chance to challenge myself and show up my classmates (not nice I know ). My first grader is good at math, but he gets lazy doing the work. Making practicing his addition and subtraction a fun game seems do the trick.
Mad minutes can be done timed or untimed. These are great for adding some extra practice.
- basic addition
- 0-20 addition
- basic subtraction
- subtraction 0-20
- combined subtraction & addition worksheets
Math worksheets grade 1
I highly recommend putting these mad minutes pdf 1st grades in page protectors or laminating to use over and over! (Note: I’ve noticed that off brand laminator sheets do not wipe clean as nicely. We will be sticking with the Scotch laminator sheets going forward!)
If you have older children, here are the links to FREE Mad Minutes for older grades:
1st grade math
So how in the world do you play Mad Minutes math game? Give you child a printable 1st grade math worksheets upside down. Now time how long it takes them to complete their worksheets.
They are called MAD minute because it can be done in one minute, but the goal is not only math practice, improved accuracy, and math fluency —> but for your child to become more confident in math!
Write down on the back of the worksheet how long it took them to complete it. That is their benchmark. Correct the free 1st grade math worksheets together to make sure they learn the correct answer to the addition and subtraction equations.
Math Minutes in 1st grade
Now have your first grader do the same worksheet again Tuesday. Write down their new time; don’t be surprised if their time is slightly longer today…. usually the accuracy goes up some but it gets a little slower on day 2.
Day 3, repeat with the same mad minutes worksheet for grade 1. Again, write down their time and accuracy. Repeat this on day 4 and on Day 5 challenge your student to beat their time and accuracy. You will be amazed at how both their speed and accuracy improves over the week.
Don’t worry! The subsequent Grade 1 math worksheets will review equations they have already completed to ensure they retain mastery!
First grade worksheets
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Lots of fun, free money games for kids
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Printable 1st grade math worksheets – handy no-prep math practice that can be used as mad minutes!
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
1st grade math minutes pdf
By using the printable below you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers and coop classes please purchase a licensed copy at my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, copied or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Your site it AMAZING!!!
Thank you for sharing all these printables. My little guys and myself are so gratful!
Thank you so much for sharing!
Thank you so much for these awesome printables.
So thankful these are here!
This is so helpful to me as a first year homeschool mom! I need resources outside of the curricula and this hit the spot. Thank you!!
Thank you for all the great Freebies!! Your website is such a great resource!! I am the elementary ISS teacher for our district, so I work with K-5 students from six different elementary schools. I really don’t want to spend my own money to join sites, so I rely on freebies to help me have extra work on hand. Keep up the good work!