Help your first grader get the math practice they need to achieve fluency with addition and subtraction by using these super cute, free printable, 1st grade math worksheets. These first grade math worksheets are a great way for grade 1 students to have fun practicing math with Mad Minutes Math Game. Simply print 1st grade worksheets pdf file and you are ready to practice with math worksheets grade 1 any time! Plus instructions for how to turn free math worksheets into a fun math game – MAD MINUTES!
1st grade Math Worksheets
We are always looking for fun ways for our kids to practice math. It is so important to get a firm foundation in preparation for higher math. So we try to make math practice for grade 1 students fun so they look forward to and enjoy adding and subtracting single and double digit numbers. These 1st grade math worksheets are handy, no-prep free 1st grade worksheets! Plus by turning these free first grade math worksheets into a fun math kids will be engaged as you make learning fun! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these grade 1 math worksheets to help kids practice addition and practice subtraction. Use these free math worksheets for 1st grade as extra practice, summer learning, math center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
First Grade Math Worksheets
Math worksheets grade 1
I remember doing Mad Minutes growing up. I was pretty good at Math, and I loved the chance to challenge myself and show up my classmates (not nice I know ). My first grader is good at math, but he gets lazy doing the work. Making practicing his addition and subtraction a fun game seems do the trick.
Mad minutes can be done timed or untimed. These are great for adding some extra practice.
- basic addition
- 0-20 addition
- basic subtraction
- subtraction 0-20
- combined subtraction & addition worksheets
First Grade math
I highly recommend putting these 1st grade math worksheets in page protectors or laminating to use over and over! (Note: I’ve noticed that off brand laminator sheets do not wipe clean as nicely. We will be sticking with the Scotch laminator sheets going forward!)
If you have older children, here are the links to FREE Mad Minutes for older grades:
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
So how in the world do you play Mad Minutes math game? Give you child a printable 1st grade math worksheets upside down. Now time how long it takes them to complete their worksheets.
They are called MAD minute because it can be done in one minute, but the goal is not only math practice, improved accuracy, and math fluency —> but for your child to become more confident in math!
Write down on the back of the worksheet how long it took them to complete it. That is their benchmark. Correct the free 1st grade math worksheets together to make sure they learn the correct answer to the addition and subtraction equations.
Free first grade worksheets
Now have your first grader do the same worksheet again Tuesday. Write down their new time; don’t be surprised if their time is slightly longer today…. usually the accuracy goes up some but it gets a little slower on day 2.
Day 3, repeat with the same mad minutes worksheet for grade 1. Again, write down their time and accuracy. Repeat this on day 4 and on Day 5 challenge your student to beat their time and accuracy. You will be amazed at how both their speed and accuracy improves over the week.
Don’t worry! The subsequent Grade 1 math worksheets will review equations they have already completed to ensure they retain mastery!
1st grade worksheets
Looking for more fun and free first grade math resources? You will love these FREE printables for 1st grade math:
- Pumpkin Math Activity
- Math Mysteries – Addition and Subtractin Math Puzzles
- Tic-Tac-Toe Addition Math Game
- Bubble Gum Math Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Spring Addition Math Game
- Solve and Stamp Math Worksheets
- Clever Addition Mini Book
- 1st Grade Math Worksheets turn into mad miutes math game!
- Addition Activity – Adding to 100 Card Math Game
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
First grade worksheets
We have so many fun free math worksheets for 1st grade for you to choose from:
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
1st Grade Math
By using the printable below you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers and coop classes please purchase a licensed copy at my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, copied or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!