Are your kids tired of painstakingly learning the facts in math? A better use of that time would be spent engaging kids in a playful, hands-on math game to learn the same number bonds skills, but keeping kids engaged and having fun while learning! This free printable, number bond games is a great way for kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students to develop their number sense with an addition and subtraction practice activity! Simply print the number bond games printable pdf file and you are ready to play and learn!
Number Bonds Games
Are you working on learning number bonds with your kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students? Children will better understand the concept and see the relationship between numbers with this fun, hands-on, and free number bonds game! Simply print the number bond games for kindergarten and play to create addition and subtraction problems. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this hands-on number bonds activity for children. Use the number bond games printable as extra practice, summer learning, at a math center in your classroom, or a supplement to your Singapore math curriculum. This set of number bond matching cards will allow students to explore and discover connections between addition and subtraction.
Number bond games printable
Developing Number Sense
Though number sense is not something that can be taught, we can provide opportunities for kids to discover connections and form meaningful mathematical understandings. One of the ways we can do this is with visual models.
A number bond is a powerful visual model that helps kids see how to compose and decompose numbers. Seeing how to break apart numbers leads to a deeper understanding of how numbers work and relate to each other. It also provides an opportunity for kids to discover patterns.
Included in this number bond game set are 24 matching cards. One card includes a number bond with either a “part” or the “whole” missing, while the matching card contains the missing value.
The cards include numbers up to 20, but you could focus only on numbers up to 10 if you have younger ones.
Number Bonds Game
Also included in this number bond games online free are two equation mats:
- one for addition equations
- one for subtraction equations.
To get started with these materials, I suggest you print and laminate all the cards and the equation mats. Then cut out the matching cards. Laminating them will allow kids to write on them over and over again with a dry erase marker.
Number Bonds Kindergarten
There are dozens of ways you can use these Number Bond Activities cards, but here are some suggestions to get you started.
- First, simply use the matching cards as a matching game for kids to complete individually. This would be a super simple, low-prep math center activity, requiring little to no explanation.
- Another idea is to let partners use them as a memory game or “go fish” game.To set up a memory game, simply lay all the cards out face down on the table. Kids then take turns flipping over 2 cards.If the cards are a match, they keep the set. Otherwise, they turn them back over and it’s their partner’s turn. Once all the matches have been found, the player with the most correct matches wins.
- Go Fish is played the same way, except that each player starts with a hand of 5 cards, while the remaining cards are placed in a pile face down. Players then take turns asking the other for a match to one of their cards. For instance, they might ask, “Do you have a 6?” if the missing value on one of their number bonds is 6. If the partner has that card, they give it to them. Otherwise, the player draws a card from the pile and it’s their partner’s turn. Once all the matches have been found, the player with the most correct matches wins.
- All alternative to using these as matching cards is to simply use the cards with number bonds (without the matches).
Number Bond Activities
Here are ideas for independent practice with number bonds
- Cut out the cards and place them on a key ring. Then allow kids to work through the stack with a dry erase marker, filling in the missing value.
- Then you can combine the answer cards with the equation mats for some hands on math.To get started, you will need something to count such as beads, base ten blocks, counting bears, candy, etc. Then give kids the answer cards to place in the top of the number bond. They can then use their counting manipulatives to break the number apart in different ways and write equations below. This is a great exercise for kids because there will always be more than one right answer, and it’s important for them to see that.
HINT: When they’ve completed the number bond and equation for a given number, ask them to find another equation. Once they’re familiar and comfortable using the mat and writing equations, ask how many different equations they can come up with.
- You could even encourage them to move the answer card to a different part of the number bond, and see how that changes their equations.
However you decide to use this resource, I hope it opens up your kids understanding of addition and subtraction, and allows for fun, open-ended discoveries.
Number Bond Printables
Lookign for more number bond activities for kids? Check out these fun, free resources:
- Pumpkin Number Bonds to 10 Worksheet
- Glue Number Bonds to 10
- Flower Number Bonds to 20
- Acorn Number Bonds Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Hands-on Apple Number Bonds
- Fun Ice Cream Number Bonds to 10 Activities
- Printable Apple Number Bond Activities
- Fishing Number Bonds to 10 Craft (free printable)
This is such a fun, hands on math game for kindergartners that helps achieve fluency while having FUN!
- Printable Addition Tic Tac Toe Math Game
- Gumball Math – Addition and Subtraction Practice
- Watermelon Addition Within 10 activity
- 100 Epic Addition Activities
- Fall Addition Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition Math Worksheets
- Crack the Code Worksheet – Addition Practice
- Hands-on Goldfish Addition Practice
- Pot of Gold Addition Practice
- Rubber Duckie Kindergarten Math activity
- Planting Seeds Free Addition Games
- Free Printable Pumpkin Sum Game
- Math Addition Worksheets Mini Book – Adding 0-12
- Deck of Cards Free Addition Worksheets
- Disney Princess Flashcards – Addition
- Free Addition within 10 Games Printable
- Turkey Addition Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Frog Math – Addition Game for Kids
- St Patricks Day Addition Practice
- Gingerbread Addition Math Game
- Math Mystery Pack – Solve Addition & Subtraction Word Problems
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Number Bonds Games
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.