Are your kids tired of painstakingly learning the facts in math? A better use of that time would be spent engaging kids in a playful, hands-on math game to learn the same number bonds skills, but keeping kids engaged and having fun while learning! This free printable, number bond games is a great way for kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students to develop their number sense with an addition and subtraction practice activity! Simply print the number bond games printable pdf file and you are ready to play and learn!
Number Bonds Games
Are you working on learning number bonds with your kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students? Children will better understand the concept and see the relationship between numbers with this fun, hands-on, and free number bonds game! Simply print the number bond games for kindergarten and play to create addition and subtraction problems. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this hands-on number bonds activity for children. Use the number bond games printable as extra practice, summer learning, at a math center in your classroom, or a supplement to your Singapore math curriculum. This set of number bond matching cards will allow students to explore and discover connections between addition and subtraction.
Number bond games printable
Developing Number Sense
Though number sense is not something that can be taught, we can provide opportunities for kids to discover connections and form meaningful mathematical understandings. One of the ways we can do this is with visual models.
A number bond is a powerful visual model that helps kids see how to compose and decompose numbers. Seeing how to break apart numbers leads to a deeper understanding of how numbers work and relate to each other. It also provides an opportunity for kids to discover patterns.
Number bonds game
Included in this number bond game set are 24 matching cards. One card includes a number bond with either a “part” or the “whole” missing, while the matching card contains the missing value.
The cards include numbers up to 20, but you could focus only on numbers up to 10 if you have younger ones.
Number bond activities
Also included in this number bond games online free are two equation mats:
- one for addition equations
- one for subtraction equations.
To get started with these materials, I suggest you print and laminate all the cards and the equation mats. Then cut out the matching cards. Laminating them will allow kids to write on them over and over again with a dry erase marker.
Number Bonds Kindergarten
There are dozens of ways you can use these Number Bond Activities cards, but here are some suggestions to get you started.
- First, simply use the matching cards as a matching game for kids to complete individually. This would be a super simple, low-prep math center activity, requiring little to no explanation.
- Another idea is to let partners use them as a memory game or “go fish” game.To set up a memory game, simply lay all the cards out face down on the table. Kids then take turns flipping over 2 cards.If the cards are a match, they keep the set. Otherwise, they turn them back over and it’s their partner’s turn. Once all the matches have been found, the player with the most correct matches wins.
- Go Fish is played the same way, except that each player starts with a hand of 5 cards, while the remaining cards are placed in a pile face down. Players then take turns asking the other for a match to one of their cards. For instance, they might ask, “Do you have a 6?” if the missing value on one of their number bonds is 6. If the partner has that card, they give it to them. Otherwise, the player draws a card from the pile and it’s their partner’s turn. Once all the matches have been found, the player with the most correct matches wins.
- All alternative to using these as matching cards is to simply use the cards with number bonds (without the matches).
Number Bond Activities
Here are ideas for independent practice with number bonds
- Cut out the cards and place them on a key ring. Then allow kids to work through the stack with a dry erase marker, filling in the missing value.
- Then you can combine the answer cards with the equation mats for some hands on math.To get started, you will need something to count such as beads, base ten blocks, counting bears, candy, etc. Then give kids the answer cards to place in the top of the number bond. They can then use their counting manipulatives to break the number apart in different ways and write equations below. This is a great exercise for kids because there will always be more than one right answer, and it’s important for them to see that.
HINT: When they’ve completed the number bond and equation for a given number, ask them to find another equation. Once they’re familiar and comfortable using the mat and writing equations, ask how many different equations they can come up with.
- You could even encourage them to move the answer card to a different part of the number bond, and see how that changes their equations.
However you decide to use this resource, I hope it opens up your kids understanding of addition and subtraction, and allows for fun, open-ended discoveries.
Number Bond Printables
Lookign for more number bond activities for kids? Check out these fun, free resources:
- Pumpkin Number Bonds to 10 Worksheet
- Glue Number Bonds to 10
- Flower Number Bonds to 20
- Acorn Number Bonds Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Hands-on Apple Number Bonds
- Fun Ice Cream Number Bonds to 10 Activities
- Printable Apple Number Bond Activities
- Fishing Number Bonds to 10 Craft (free printable)
This is such a fun, hands on math game for kindergartners that helps achieve fluency while having FUN!
- Printable Addition Tic Tac Toe Math Game
- Gumball Math – Addition and Subtraction Practice
- Watermelon Addition Within 10 activity
- 100 Epic Addition Activities
- Fall Addition Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition Math Worksheets
- Crack the Code Worksheet – Addition Practice
- Hands-on Goldfish Addition Practice
- Pot of Gold Addition Practice
- Rubber Duckie Kindergarten Math activity
- Planting Seeds Free Addition Games
- Free Printable Pumpkin Sum Game
- Math Addition Worksheets Mini Book – Adding 0-12
- Deck of Cards Free Addition Worksheets
- Disney Princess Flashcards – Addition
- Free Addition within 10 Games Printable
- Turkey Addition Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Frog Math – Addition Game for Kids
- St Patricks Day Addition Practice
- Gingerbread Addition Math Game
- Math Mystery Pack – Solve Addition & Subtraction Word Problems
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Number Bonds Games
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Leave a Reply