Sneak in some fun practice with subtraction with this super cute, fun, and free printable 4th of July Math activity that uses patriotic subtraction mats with kindergarten and grade 1 students.
4th of July Math
Whether you are making a complete fourth of July theme and are looking for educational activities to include or are looking for fun summer learning with a patriotic theme for Independence Day, you will love this 4th of July Math activity for kindergartners and first grade students.
Why is it that adding comes so much easier to kids? In all my years of teaching, I can honestly say I have only had one kiddo that thought subtraction was easier. Your kids will love this fun Patriotic Subtraction Mats activity perfect for Presidents Day for Kids or to add to your list of 4th of July activities for kids.
Another way is to practice, is having children participating in expression sorts. Allowing children to participate in expression sorts builds their logic reasoning and can even prepare them for algebra.
It also helps children to begin to develop fluency in math. Though using manipulatives is an important part of learning addition and subtraction, it is also important that they begin to memorize basic addition and subtraction facts. Doing expression sorts numerous times allows children to become familiar with expressions and what they equal.
Patriotic Subtraction Mats
These free Patriotic Subtraction Mats are a wonderful way to participate in these sorts, and the patriotic theme makes them perfect for summer or labor day!
- Print off the subtraction mats and expressions on cardstock paper
- Cut out expression
- Put a magnet on the back of expression and use a cookie tray or place Velcro on mats and expression
Decide what numbers you want your child or children to work on, and pull out those mats and the expressions that match.
If your child is struggling to solve the expression provide some manipulatives. Show them how to count manipulatives to match the first number in the expression. Next help them take away the correct number. Finally, show them how to count what is left and help them realize that this is the answer! As they become more confident subtracting with manipulatives, see what they can do on their own from memory.
Enjoy this free printable and building your child’s logic reasoning and subtraction skills.
4th of July Activities
Looking for more fun and FREE fourth of July printables? You will love these:
- Kids will have practicing number recognition while revealing patriotic hidden images in these FREE 4th of July Color by Number Worksheets.
- The whole family will have fun playing this free printable 4th of July Bingo Game
- Over 100 Fourth of July Crafts for Kids
- Print off these FREE 4th of July Coloring Pages to help kids learn about common patriotic symbols.
- Fourth of July I Spy – super cute 4th of July Activity Sheets
- Patriotic Preschool Worksheets
- Try this EASY Red, White and Blue 4th of July Science Experiment!
- Learn more about the good old USA with these American Symbols Worksheets
- Have fun grilling with these 4th of July Playdough Mats
- Practice CVC Words with this fun, educational 4th of July Activity
- Try this easy 4th of July Fireworks Craft
Don’t miss all our free 2nd grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
Download Patriotic Subtraction Mats
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.