Kids will have fun practicing adding and subtracting to different place values with this fun, engaging, and free printable pirate place value games for first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. This math activity is a combination of a free math game and place value worksheet for tracing new sums and subtrahends.
Place Value Games
Help kids quickly add and subtract numbers by learning to master place value. This fun pirate place value games is sure to be a hit with your little buccaneer and keep them engaged and excited to practice math. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this fun math game for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students.
Pirate Place Value
Have you ever been around a person who can whip out an answers to math questions quicker than you can pick up a pencil? Maybe that accurately describes you, or maybe you are what I once was like and can only solve a math problem with a piece of paper and fingers…though a calculator was my preference.
Things have changed though, and it is because of one concept I learned as a teacher. A trait that helps people be successful at mental math is teaching place value.
Place value game
If a child or an adult has a good understanding of place value, they are more likely to be able to do mental math. They will probably be more efficient at addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division too.
I can tell that my 1st grader is beginning to develop an understanding of place value, and so we are ready for a place value games teaching place valueto stretch him some more.
Place value games printable
- Three different game boards
- First one works on adding and subtracting 1 and 10.
- The second one focuses on adding and subtracting 1, 10, and 100.
- The third game board allows children to practice adding and subtracting 1, 10, 100, and 1,000.
- Record Sheet
- This sheet allows the children to write down the equations they have made, and keep track of what number they are at. (picture of record sheet here)
- Starting Numbers
- These cards are drawn at the beginning of the game. They are simply a starting place and gives the students the number that they will add or subtract from on the first play.
Before the place value practice begins, you will need to round up some game markers, a die, and pencils. (You could also use dry erase markers and a sheet protector so you do not have to reprint the record sheet each time the game is played.)
Place Value Activities
- To begin, players draw a starting number and record it on their record sheet.
- Then players take turn rolling the die and moving their marker up that many spaces.
- After each roll, players use the starting number and number they landed on to create an equation. This is recorded on their record sheet. The answer is the new starting number, and is written on the next line.
- If a player lands on a gold coin they may roll again and move forward.
- If the player lands on a pirate walking the plank, they roll again and move that many spaces backward.
- When both players have reached the end, the player with the highest total wins!
Place value is such an important concept and it deserves quality time. Quality time, doesn’t have to be pouring over worksheets though. Enjoy this free, fun game as one way to work on place value, and then check out some of these other great ideas to help make place value a priority in your classroom.
Place Value Games
Looking for more fun place value games to print and play? Try these fun math activities for elementary age students.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly place value games to print
- Ice Cream Place Value Games for Kindergarten and first grade
- St Patricks Day Place Value Games
- Ice Cream place value games to print for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Build a Snowman Place Value Matching
- Pirate Place Value Games
- Snowman Place Value Worksheets
Don’t miss all our free 2nd grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
Download Pirate Place Value Game
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.