Kids will have fun practicing adding and subtracting to different place values with this fun, engaging, and free printable pirate place value games for first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. This math activity is a combination of a free math game and place value worksheet for tracing new sums and subtrahends.
Place Value Games
Help kids quickly add and subtract numbers by learning to master place value. This fun pirate place value games is sure to be a hit with your little buccaneer and keep them engaged and excited to practice math. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this fun math game for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students.
Place value games 1st grade printable
Place Value Games Printable
Have you ever been around a person who can whip out an answers to math questions quicker than you can pick up a pencil? Maybe that accurately describes you, or maybe you are what I once was like and can only solve a math problem with a piece of paper and fingers…though a calculator was my preference.
Things have changed though, and it is because of one concept I learned as a teacher. A trait that helps people be successful at mental math is teaching place value.
Place value game
If a child or an adult has a good understanding of place value, they are more likely to be able to do mental math. They will probably be more efficient at addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division too.
I can tell that my 1st grader is beginning to develop an understanding of place value, and so we are ready for a place value games teaching place valueto stretch him some more.
Place value games 2nd grade printable
- Three different game boards
- First one works on adding and subtracting 1 and 10.
- The second one focuses on adding and subtracting 1, 10, and 100.
- The third game board allows children to practice adding and subtracting 1, 10, 100, and 1,000.
- Record Sheet
- This sheet allows the children to write down the equations they have made, and keep track of what number they are at. (picture of record sheet here)
- Starting Numbers
- These cards are drawn at the beginning of the game. They are simply a starting place and gives the students the number that they will add or subtract from on the first play.
Before the place value practice begins, you will need to round up some game markers, a die, and pencils. (You could also use dry erase markers and a sheet protector so you do not have to reprint the record sheet each time the game is played.)
Place value pirates
- To begin, players draw a starting number and record it on their record sheet.
- Then players take turn rolling the die and moving their marker up that many spaces.
- After each roll, players use the starting number and number they landed on to create an equation. This is recorded on their record sheet. The answer is the new starting number, and is written on the next line.
- If a player lands on a gold coin they may roll again and move forward.
- If the player lands on a pirate walking the plank, they roll again and move that many spaces backward.
- When both players have reached the end, the player with the highest total wins!
Place value is such an important concept and it deserves quality time. Quality time, doesn’t have to be pouring over worksheets though. Enjoy this free, fun game as one way to work on place value, and then check out some of these other great ideas to help make place value a priority in your classroom.
Place Value Games
Looking for more fun place value games to print and play? Try these fun math activities for elementary age students.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly place value games to print
- Ice Cream Place Value Games for Kindergarten and first grade
- St Patricks Day Place Value Games
- Simple, Free Place Value: Tens and Ones Worksheet Pages
- Ice Cream place value games to print for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Place Value Strips or Place Value Cards
- Build a Snowman Place Value Matching
- Pirate Place Value Games
- Snowman Place Value Worksheets
- Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Place Value Worksheets – Tens and Ones
Don’t miss all our free 2nd grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
- I Spy Pirate Game with free printable worksheets
- Free Pirate Printables – worksheets for early elementary age kids to work on math and litearcy skills
- Gingerbread Pirates Actvities
- Free printable Pirate Color by Number Printable
- Simple Pirate Coloring Pages
- Cute Pirate Coloring Pages
- Free Pirate Worksheets for Preschool
- FUN Pirate Theme Preschool
- Cute Paper Plate Parrot Craft
- Pirate Handwriting Tracing Strips for working on pre-writing skills
- Simple Pirate Ship Craft
- Pirate Colors Book Printable
- Pirate Family Fun Night
- Free Jake and the Neverland Pirates Worksheets
These fun pirate activity ideas help young children work on early litearcy skills like letter sounds, writing their ABCs, reading simple cvc words, and reading sight words too.
- Free Pirate Games workign on Kindergarten sight words
- Pirate Letter Sound Games Printable Activity – includes both mathing letters and soritng by beginning sounds
- Super cute, FREE Printable ABC Pirate Worksheets
- Pirate Short a cvc words short a
- Pirate Parts of Speech Coloring Sheet
- Free Pirate BINGO Parts of Speech Game
Use these fun pirate themed worksheets and printable activities to help kids work on tracing numbers, couting, shapes, number sense, fractions, and more pirate math skills!
- Argh! Pirate Number Tracing Worksheets
- Free Pirate Shapes Themed Shape Reader
- Number Pirate Flashcards
- Make-a-Reader – Pirate Shapes Printable
- Pluder the Treasure in this Pirate Number Sense Games
- Count and Clip Pirate Counting
- Pirate Numbers 11-20 Worksheets pdf
- Hands-on Pirate Addition Color by Number
- Fun Pirate Reducing Fractions Game
- Pirate Place Value Games for making practicing place value fun
Place value games to print
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.