Is your Kindergarten, 1st grade, or 2nd grade homeschooling student working on learning vowels. I created this free printable language arts game to help kids practice their vowels in a fun way. The Vowel Shapes Game is easy to play and a fun learning activity for kids.
I came up with this game to help my young kids practice identifying vowels while at the same time playing to make learning FUN!
I want them to understand that you need vowels to build words. Did you know there is no word in the English language without a vowel!
As a side benefit, this game will also reinforce shapes, colors, and use great math skills. If I do say so myself, I think this is a pretty awesome activity for prek, kindergarten, and first grade!
Begin by printing the instructions, vowel shapes, the dice inserts (we use these Photo Stacking Blocks ) and the 6 vowel shape pictures you will be building.
To play have your student roll the dice to see what vowel shape they get. Ask your student, “What vowel did you get?” (you can also have them identify the shape and color to practice those too!)
Then have them pick up the vowel shape (if they still need it) & place it on their picture.
Take turns and keep playing until somebody finishes their picture – they win!
Kids will quickly remember which letters they are building with and start to associate those letters as vowels. SO SIMPLE. SO FUN. SO EDUCATIONAL!
- You can all do the same picture
- For younger children, you can play without mentioning the vowels & simple play with colors or shapes
- You can play non-competitively: if you already have the vowel shape you rolled you can give it to someone else. Keep playing until everyone’s picture is completed
- For older children, you can have children build the picture without building right on the template to make it harder!
Homeschooling with FREE Printable Game
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Bug Sight Word Game
- Habitat Adventure Game
- Roll into Geography Game
- Doggy Addition Game
- Punctuation Car File Folder Game
- Smore Sentence Card Game
- Oregon Trail Skip Counting Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun / Verb Sort Game
- Subtraction Aquarium Fish Game
- Sight Word BINGO
- Noun / Verb Food Sorting Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. hanks you!