Is your Kindergarten, 1st grade, or 2nd grade homeschooling student working on learning vowels. I created this free printable language arts game to help kids practice their vowels in a fun way. The Vowel Shapes Game is easy to play and a fun learning activity for kids.
I came up with this game to help my young kids practice identifying vowels while at the same time playing to make learning FUN!
I want them to understand that you need vowels to build words. Did you know there is no word in the English language without a vowel!
As a side benefit, this game will also reinforce shapes, colors, and use great math skills. If I do say so myself, I think this is a pretty awesome activity for pre k, kindergarten, and first grade!
This hands on vowel recognition activity is a great for students to begin recognizing the vowels – a, e, i, o u. At the same time this activity works on shape recognition, critical thinking skills as they put together their shape project. This is truly an activity that blends several different strands for a fun activity that tackles both math and literacy skills.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will find use in this handy activity as extra practice, summer learning, or math or literacy centers.
To play have your student roll the dice to see what vowel shape they get. Ask your student, “What vowel did you get?” (you can also have them identify the shape and color to practice those too!)
Then have them pick up the vowel shape (if they still need it) & place it on their picture.
Take turns and keep playing until somebody finishes their picture – they win!
Kids will quickly remember which letters they are building with and start to associate those letters as vowels. SO SIMPLE. SO FUN. SO EDUCATIONAL!
- You can all do the same picture
- For younger children, you can play without mentioning the vowels & simple play with colors or shapes
- You can play non-competitively: if you already have the vowel shape you rolled you can give it to someone else. Keep playing until everyone’s picture is completed
- For older children, you can have children build the picture without building right on the template to make it harder!
Fun Kids Activities
Looking for more EPIC activities for kids to try? Kids of all ages will love these fun, engaging, and educational activities to try:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT Bubbles
- DIY Lava Lamp
- Pop Rock Science Experiment
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Density Experiment
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Walking Water Science Project for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Lego DIY Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Sidewalk Chalk Recipe
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. hanks you!