Beginning readers need lots of practice reading word family words and sight words. This free printable, short a words emergent reader is a great way for pre k, kindergarten, and first graders to gain fuency and confidence reading.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love the practice preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and grade 1 will get reading sight words, word families, and other short a words. This allows kids to work on fluency and become confident readers.
Short a Words
Reading Short A Words
I love reviewing CVC words with magnetic letters.
It is such great practice to build words, and then sound them out. And if you can do it where they are only having to change the beginning sound or ending sound, it is even better. It forces our kiddos to find what sound is changing, and find the new letter to replace it.
- Dad- – mad – had – ham – hat- mat – fat – cat – cap
- bag – nag – mag – man – fan – van –
Sight Words Printable
This book has a few sight words you may want to review before you begin reading.
You could put the sight words on a tic-tac-toe board and have your little one read the words every time they cross a spot off. It is an activity that takes only a few minutes to get ready but is so much fun.
Here are the words to work on:
Short a Printable
Though we may think interrogative is too big a word for young children, you will be amazed at what they can remember. This book has a couple of interrogative sentences in it.
Before reading, I highly recommend pointing out the question mark to your sweet little one. Discuss what is it. Tell them this is an interrogative sentence.
Then illustrate how you read these sentences aloud. You can even have them practice making up their own sentences, and using the correct intonation!
It is such a simple way to introduce sentences that are a question.
- Snowman Word Family Printable
- Christmas Tree Word Family Activity
- Thanksgiving Word Family Activity
- Flower Word Family Cut & Paste Activity
- Word Family Practice with Film Strips
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Easter Egg Word Family
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Sidewalk World Family FUN
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activitiy
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Transportation Word Family Sliders
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- 20+ Word Family Sliders in Color or Black & White
Download FREE Word Family Sliders
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!