Beginning readers need lots of practice reading word family words and sight words. This free printable is a short a words reader for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders to gain fuency and confidence reading. Simply print pdf file, print, put together and have fun reading with the cute clipart and free emergent reader.
Short a Words
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love the practice this short a words activity gives to your preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. THey will not only improve reading short a vowel words, but recognizing and reading sight words, word families, and other short a words. This allows kids to work on fluency and become confident readers.
Short a books free
Reading short a words
Print that pages in color on cardstock for durability. THen cut the sheets in half to make two pages. Finally, staple the pages together to make your own free printable emergent reader.
Short A Activities
I love reviewing CVC words with magnetic letters.
It is such great practice to build words, and then sound them out. And if you can do it where they are only having to change the beginning sound or ending sound, it is even better. It forces our kiddos to find what sound is changing, and find the new letter to replace it.
- Dad- – mad – had – ham – hat- mat – fat – cat – cap
- bag – nag – mag – man – fan – van –
Short a sound words
This book has a few sight words you may want to review before you begin reading.
You could put the sight words on a tic-tac-toe board and have your little one read the words every time they cross a spot off. It is an activity that takes only a few minutes to get ready but is so much fun.
Here are the words to work on:
Short a worksheet
Though we may think interrogative is too big a word for young children, you will be amazed at what they can remember. This book has a couple of interrogative sentences in it. Before reading, I highly recommend pointing out the question mark to your sweet little one. Discuss what is it. Tell them this is an interrogative sentence.
Then illustrate how you read these sentences aloud. You can even have them practice making up their own sentences, and using the correct intonation! It is such a simple way to introduce sentences that are a question.
- Short e CVC Words Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow CVC Word Mats
- CVC Games Kindergarten
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Hands-on CVC Words valentine cvc worksheets
- CVC words with pictures pdf Printable
- Color-the-Letter to spell the picture, Free Printable CVCe Worksheets
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets
- Monster Match CVC Words Worksheets
- Farm CVC Animal Words
- Sundae CVC words worksheets for kindergarten pdf free
- “at” CVC Word family worksheets pdf
- Heart Penguin CVC Words
- Dab-a-Dot CVC Worksheets Mazes
- See TONS of fun an dfree CVC Activities here!
- Super cute and handy, Free CVC Puzzles
- Christmas CVC Words Clip Cards
- Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- Ending Sounds Clip Cards (or version 2)
- Secret CVC Words Worksheets – Beginning Sounds with Magnetic Letters
- Detective Case File Crack the Code CVC Words
- Free, Black and White CVC Crack the Code Worksheets
- Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets
- Peter Pan CVC Coloring Pages
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Caterpillar Spring CVC Words
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Build a Snowman Winter CVC Words Practice
- Ice Cream CVC Word Match & Build
- Bee CVC Worrksheets pdf
- Easter CVC Words Activity
- Christmas CVC Words on Santa’s Sleigh
- Star Wars CVC Games
- 4th of July CVC Words Activity
- Cooking Up Rhymes: Read & Dab CVC Words Activity
- Going on a Bear Hunt CVC Games Online
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Roll and Read CVC Sentences
- Short a Worksheets Cut & paste Booklet
- Pirate cvc words short a
- Short A Books free Emergent Reader
- Detective Short e cvc worksheets
- Short i Words cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short I Words Emergent Reader
- Farm short i cvc words worksheets
- Short o Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow Short o Words Printable
- Short u Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Short u CVC words Printable cut and paste activity
- CVC Words Middle Sounds in Words Clip Cards
- CVC Ending Sounds Clip Cards or this other set of CVC Ending Sound clip cards
- Missing Vowels Puzzles Free Clip Cards
- Popsicle Rhyme & Dab CVC Words Practice
- Airplane Rhyming Words CVC Words Worksheets
- CVC Games pdf – Word Bump
- Spring Bird CVC Word Activity
- Ice Cream CVC Word Activities
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years! Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Short A Printable
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Short A Words Reader <<
Thank you so much for all you do and share! I really appreciate your work.
I used your short a story with a struggling reader. This is the first book he was able to read on his own. He smiled as said, “Ms. Litton I can read! I can read!” He loves it and rereads it every day. Thank you.