This fun CVC Words Block Bridges Activity uses blocks, the large kind like Duplo and a small ball. Build some bridges and work on blending, segmenting and phoneme manipulation of CVC words while having fun!
CVC Words Block Bridges Activity
What you need for this activity:
- Large blocks
- Small ball
- Dry-erase marker
Build three bridges, high enough so that your ball will fit through. Write the first CVC word on the bridges letter by letter.
A typical literacy lesson will go like this (without saying the words in italic font, that is just for the teacher’s knowledge):
- Segmenting – Roll the ball under each bridge and say the sound.
- Blending – Now say the word, putting all the sounds together. What does the sounds on the bridges spell all together? m-a-t, mat.
- Phoneme manipulation – Teacher changes a letter on a bridge. What does it say now? (You could change beginning, middle or ending sounds.) Roll the ball through the bridge that changed sounds.
- Phoneme deletion – Take away a bridge/sound. What does the word say now? (Same as above, you can work on deletion of beginning, middle or ending sounds depending on the child’s needs.)
- Auditory Discrimination – give verbal instructions for example:
- Roll the ball through the bridge that says “m”.
- Roll the ball through the bridge with the vowel “a”.
- Roll the ball through the bridge that says “t”.
- If I say “at”, which sound did I NOT say? Roll the ball through that bridge etc.
You can change the words as often as you like. For oder kids one could add more bridges to work on longer words.
A simple activity that works well to practice so many reading skills. The fact that it uses blocks and a ball, just makes it fun!
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity