Young readers will enjoy practicing Kindergarten CVC words with our Monsters CVC matching activity. This cvc words activity is a great way to practice sounding out simple words. This cvc activity is perfect for pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. Simply print cvc words worksheets and you are ready for a fun cvc activity for kindergarten.
This cvc activity focuses on CVC words and is perfect for children who are starting to sound out their letters. This cvc activity for kindergarten is a great way for helping preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students improve reading skills. Using these free cvc words worksheets is a fun, no-prep way for and teaching cvc words. Before we look at the game, let us go back to basics. what are cvc words in kindergarten and why are they important?
How are your children’s reading skills developing? It is so rewarding watching our children become independent readers isn’t it? Sometimes it seems as if they must master so many skills before they become independent readers. It is not surprising when you think about it. The process of reading is quite complicated. You can help your kids by giving lots of practice, reading to them for at least 15 minutes a day and making it fun.
CVC Activity For Kindergarten
What are CVC words?
Briefly, a CVC words are simple three letter words that consist of a Consonant, Vowel, and Consonant sound. For example, wet, hen, and pip are all CVC words. They are helpful for early readers, because they only have three sounds. This means they are easy for young readers to sound out.
Why teach CVC words?
We know that reading is one of the most important skills for our kids to master. This means that we need to focus on literacy a skills an early age. Reading requires us to make sense of (decode) the letters on the page. One of the many skills our children need to develop is the ability to read new words. To do this, children must learn to
- Isolating the individual sounds the letters make.
- Blend those sounds together to sound out the word.
As with any skill, the children benefit from plenty of practice.
CVC Word Activities
We have designed a free CVC activity for you to print. It features some very lovable monsters and is an engaging activity. Most children love monsters (particularly the cute ones). They will enjoy coloring in the Monster’s candy!
We know that home-schooling parents are very busy, so we kept preparation to the minimum.
This activity focuses on the following skills
- Sounding out the three letters that make up the CVC word.
- Blending them together to read the word.
- Matching the words to a the correct picture (comprehension)
This activity practices 18 CVC words. It includes word cards and the matching coloring sheets. We also added in some instructions and an extra challenge.
Each activity sheet practices different short vowel CVC words. There are six words on each sheet. The following words are used
- A- rat, cat, mat, map, tap, cap
- E-hen, pen, ten, jet, net, wet.
- U and I- lip, rip, pip, mug, hug, bug.
Free CVC Activity
This printable activity has three sheets of monster cards with images of the CVC words. You will find the matching CVC words printed on the coloring sheet. To make it fun, we put the words inside some candy shapes. After all, everyone knows that monsters love candy!
- Card stock
- Copy paper
- Scissors or Paper cutter
- Coloring tools (crayons or colored pencils work best)
- Laminator (optional)
- Print the PDF file
- Print the Monster Cards on cardstock
- Laminate for durability and cut apart.
- Print the coloring sheets on copy paper.
Using the CVC Activity
- Place the monster cards face down.
- Invite your child to turn the cards over one at a time.
- Ask them to identify the picture on the monster’s sign and say it aloud.
- Show how to read through the CVC words on the candies until you find the one that matches the picture. Color that candy.
- Repeat until all the candies are colored. Children can then color the monster if they wish. Maybe they would like to give it a name as well!
- We have also included an extra challenge. Invite your child to choose two words and write a couple of sentences that includes both. They could also create silly rhymes Dr. Seuss Style.
CVC activities printable
- It is best to pair the coloring sheets with the cards that match and no others. That way the children know that every picture they turn over will have a matching word on their sheet.
- Feel free to print the CVC words on the back of each card if you wish. This is particularly helpful for children who struggle to read the words independently.
- Some pictures might be tricky to identify. For example, is it a mug or a cup? A mat or a rug? A cap or a hat? If your child cannot find the word on the coloring sheet, suggest they put that card to the side until they have colored all the other candies. Then read the remaining word. Does it match the picture now?
- Remember difficulty hearing individual sounds and blending them is a classic symptom of Dyslexia. You may want to consider testing if your child continues to struggle despite lots of practice. Find out more here.
- Short e CVC Words Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow CVC Word Mats
- CVC Games Kindergarten
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Hands-on CVC Words valentine cvc worksheets
- CVC words with pictures pdf Printable
- Color-the-Letter to spell the picture, Free Printable CVCe Worksheets
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets
- Monster Match CVC Words Worksheets
- Farm CVC Animal Words
- Sundae CVC words worksheets for kindergarten pdf free
- “at” CVC Word family worksheets pdf
- Heart Penguin CVC Words
- Dab-a-Dot CVC Worksheets Mazes
- See TONS of fun an dfree CVC Activities here!
- Super cute and handy, Free CVC Puzzles
- Christmas CVC Words Clip Cards
- Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- Ending Sounds Clip Cards (or version 2)
- Secret CVC Words Worksheets – Beginning Sounds with Magnetic Letters
- Detective Case File Crack the Code CVC Words
- Free, Black and White CVC Crack the Code Worksheets
- Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets
- Peter Pan CVC Coloring Pages
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Caterpillar Spring CVC Words
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Build a Snowman Winter CVC Words Practice
- Ice Cream CVC Word Match & Build
- Bee CVC Worrksheets pdf
- Easter CVC Words Activity
- Christmas CVC Words on Santa’s Sleigh
- Star Wars CVC Games
- 4th of July CVC Words Activity
- Cooking Up Rhymes: Read & Dab CVC Words Activity
- Going on a Bear Hunt CVC Games Online
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Roll and Read CVC Sentences
- Short a Worksheets Cut & paste Booklet
- Pirate cvc words short a
- Short A Books free Emergent Reader
- Detective Short e cvc worksheets
- Short i Words cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short I Words Emergent Reader
- Farm short i cvc words worksheets
- Short o Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow Short o Words Printable
- Short u Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Short u CVC words Printable cut and paste activity
- CVC Words Middle Sounds in Words Clip Cards
- CVC Ending Sounds Clip Cards or this other set of CVC Ending Sound clip cards
- Missing Vowels Puzzles Free Clip Cards
- Popsicle Rhyme & Dab CVC Words Practice
- Airplane Rhyming Words CVC Words Worksheets
- CVC Games pdf – Word Bump
- Spring Bird CVC Word Activity
- Ice Cream CVC Word Activities
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years! Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Monster Activities for Preschoolers
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Monster Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Feed the Monster Printable
- Monsters Inc Slime
- Free Monster Memory Game
- Monster Math
- Target Monster Cookie Recipe
- Monster Alphabet Letters
- Monster Counting with Google Eyes
- Fun Monster Preschool Theme
- Monsters Family Fun Night
- HUGE Monster Worksheets Pack (with silly Monsters University friends)
- 100 EPIC Monster Crafts for preschoolers
CVC Words Worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.