This holiday season, engage your beginning readers with some hands-on reading practice. They’ll test their knowledge of CVC words with this set of Christmas CVC Clip Cards.
Christmas Activities for Families
- Rudolph Races
- Paper Strip Christmas Ornament
- Fluffy Christmas Slime
- 13 Christmas Science Experiments for Kids
- Christmas Coloring Sheets
- Free Christmas Tracing Sheets
- Marbleized Crayon Christmas Ornaments
- Christmas Playdough mats
- Free Christmas Around the World eBook
- Snowman Keepsake Ornament
- Best Gingerbread Cookies Recipes
- No Stick Gingerbread Slime
- Printable Polar Express Worksheets
FREE Christmas CVC Clip Cards
Learning to sound out CVC words will build a strong foundation for beginning readers. One important part of that is being able to identify medial sounds.
These holiday-themed clip cards will help preschool and kindergarten aged students do that in a fun and engaging way.
Preparing the Cards
Print out the CVC clip cards. I prefer to print on cardstock, because it is sturdier than regular printer paper. I also suggest laminating the cards for durability. This will help them hold up to hours of learning fun.
Gather some paperclips or clothespins for identifying vowel sounds.
How to Play
Once the cards are laminated and cut apart, they are ready for use. Kids will choose a card and identify the picture featured in each Christmas gift.
They will determine which vowel sound is heard in the word. There is a clue on each card which shows the beginning and ending sounds in case the child struggles to identify the image.
Three vowels are shown across the bottom of the card. Kids will use a paperclip or clothespin to identify which one finishes the word.
This activity helps beginning readers practice CVC words. They’ll listen for medial sounds, and identify the letter that makes that sound on each card.
Using paperclips and clothespins to identify those letters also helps little hands build fine motor muscles.
Add this activity to your holiday learning centers this Christmas. In addition to this activity, young preschoolers may enjoy going on a Christmas Alphabet Letters Scavenger Hunt as they focus on letter recognition. They may also enjoy focusing on beginning math and literacy skills with a fun set of Preschool Reindeer Printable Math and Literacy Activities.
You can see all our kindergarten worksheets and kindergarten activites with 300,000 different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
If your kindergartner has other siblings you will want to check out our preschool worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, or alphabet worksheets. Or you can find all our worksheets for kids arranged by age and subject (math, english, social studies, science, music, and more!)
Download Christmas CVC Clip Cards
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!