Help young readers practice identifying middle sounds with these fun, free printable CVC Words Middle Sounds Clip Cards.
These CVC words clip cards for middle sounds help young readers focus on the individual sounds in words in order to be able to read and write effectively.
They are useful for Pre-K, Kindergarten and Grade 1 children who are at the beginning stages of reading and writing.
Middle Sounds in Words
What words are included?
- cat, cot, cut
- ban, bin, bun
- fan, fin, fun
- hat, hit, hot
- hag, hog, hug
- ham, hem, hum
- jig, jog, jug
- lad, led, lid
- peg, pig, pug
- pan, pen, pin
- pat, pet, pit
- rib, rob, rub
CVC Card with Pictures
When children are in the early stages of reading, they practice reading the initial sound first as a clue to the word. Then they generally progress to the final sound. After that they tackle the middle sound. We have free matching CVC clip cards for beginning and ending sounds that you can download while you’re here. You’ll find the links below.
How to Prepare
Download the cards below. Print off the color or black and white pages onto card and cut along the dotted lines. Fold on the gray lines to create 2-sided cards. Glue the backs together or laminate. Grab some pegs so they’re ready to use!
The way to use these middle sounds in CVC Words Clip cards is:
- Children look at the main picture and the two letters underneath.
- Say those sounds (for eg ‘h’ and ‘t’) and then say them again, adding the sound in the first square to the middle of the word (‘h-o-t’). What is that word? Does it match the picture?
- Try putting the next two letters in the middle (‘h-i-t’ and ‘h-a-t’). What words do they make?
- Clip a peg to the letter that makes the word match the picture.
- Turn the card over to self-check the answer and to check if you read the other words correctly, too!
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Download CVC Words Middle Sounds Clip Cards
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.