Help early readers work on reading and spelling Short Vowel CVC words with this super cute, valentines day activity for kindergarten and first grade students. Children will choose a penguin printables card and find the matching short vowel sound and then use a dry erase markers to identify short vowel words that begin and belong to the same word family.
Short Vowel CVC words
This fun word family activity helps kids identifying, read, and spell cvc words while having fun with a Valentines Day activity for kindergartners and grade 1 students. Children will get great practice with short vowel cvc words with a cute reading activity perfect for a penguin theme or a valentines day theme at home, in the classroom, or in your homeschool. So whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love using this handy phonics activity with early learners.
CVC Words Printables
Valentines Day Activity
All you need for this word family printables are a few simple materials and you are ready to play and learn:
- A4 paper
- Magnetic letters (optional)
Print as many cards as you need for the number of students in your class (there are blacklines in case you prefer these). Be sure to have enough of those cards for your center. You could also choose to laminate the cards and use them with dry erase markers.
Short vowel words
I LOVE using learning mats – they are so much fun for kids and best of all, they are quick to setup and play! Use these mats / strips to help kids learn to read and identify rhyming and CVC short vowel words. We know that with learning, repetition and practice is key. Kids will be motivated to find and use and manipulate magnetic letters to identify their CVC words short vowel sounds using these fun penguin Valentine themed cards. After you’ve printed and laminated (optional) the cards and the mats, place the strips on the table and show the kids what they need to do. They choose a card and read the short vowel CVC word on the bottom of the strip, they then find and match magnetic letters to build new words that belong to the same word family. They continue to do so until they have found all the matches for that card. Encourage them to say the word on the card as they look for the new CVC word family words.
CVC words can be difficult for kindergarten kids. Encourage them to work on their reading and rhyming skills with this set of fun cards!
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
CVC Words Activity
- Reading Words Free CVC Printables
- Short a words Reader
- Caterpillar CVC Word mats
- Farm CVC Words Activity
- Snowman CVC Words Activity
- BUMP! CVC Words Game
- Christmas CVC Words Printable
- Planting Carrots CVC Activity for Kindergarten
- Secret Decoder CVC Word Activities
- Plus don’t miss this fun printable lesson where you will learn All About Fish, Sharks facts for Kids, and amazing rays!
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? See more of our 1st grade worksheets plus our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!