If you are working on learning sights words in February, you will love these free sight word activities! These Valentines Day activities for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders too. Simply print the printable sight word games and you are ready to practice these words that make up 75% of all words used in books.
Free Sight Word Activities
Sight words can be quite a challenge for our little ones who are used to sounding out words phonetically. Sight words are rule breakers that cannot be sounded out, but must be learned. This sight word game is a fun way to practice sight words. Use this free sight words activities with preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students to learn sight words. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, – you will love this convenient, free printable, and educational Valentines Day game!
What are Sight Words:
Sight words are words that are not easily decoded or sounded out following typical phonetic rules. They often appear frequently in texts and are recommended to be recognized by sight for fluent reading. Some sight words don’t adhere strictly to phonetic rules, making them difficult to sound out. Here are some examples:
- The: The ‘th’ sound in “the” doesn’t follow typical phonetic rules.
- Was: The ‘a’ in “was” is not pronounced as expected.
- One: The ‘o’ and ‘e’ sounds in “one” don’t follow phonetic patterns.
- Does: The ‘oe’ in “does” doesn’t have a straightforward phonetic pronunciation.
These words are usually recommended to be learned by sight recognition rather than relying solely on phonetics because they are not consistently pronounced as per standard phonics rules.
More Examples of Sight Words that are not Phonetical:
Here are more sight words that are not phonetically straightforward:
1. Two: The ‘w’ in “two” is not pronounced phonetically as it starts with the ‘t’ sound.
2. Said: The ‘ai’ in “said” is pronounced as a short ‘e’ sound, which is not phonetically obvious.
3. Friend: The ‘ie’ in “friend” does not follow standard phonetic rules.
4. Laugh: The ‘au’ in “laugh” is pronounced differently than typical phonetic patterns might suggest.
5. Eye: The ‘ey’ in “eye” does not follow the expected sound patterns.
These words can be challenging for beginners because their pronunciation doesn’t align directly with the typical phonetic sounds of their respective letters or letter combinations. Therefore, they’re often taught as sight words to be recognized by sight rather than decoded phonetically.
Sight Word Practice
Learning sight words can greatly improve reading fluency. Here are some tips to help learn sight words effectively:
- Repetition: Practice sight words regularly through various activities like flashcards, games, or writing exercises. Repetition helps reinforce recognition.
- Multisensory Approach: Engage multiple senses while learning. Use visual aids like flashcards, auditory techniques like reading the word aloud, and kinesthetic methods like writing the word by hand.
- Use Technology: There are various apps and online resources available that gamify sight word learning. Consider using these interactive tools for additional practice.
- Consistency: Dedicate a specific time each day for sight word practice to maintain consistency and improve retention.
- Games and Activities: Turn learning into fun games. Use activities like word searches, bingo, memory games, or scavenger hunts to make learning more enjoyable
And today I have a fun game to help work on reading and writing some challenging sight words.
Printable sight word games
- First, print off the game board and list you want. Any list can be used with any game board.
- Next, place the game board in a sheet protector or laminate it.
- Finally, gather up one die and two different colored dry-erase markers.
Sight word games
Here is how to play this fun sight words game:
- Players take turns rolling a die.
- The number rolled determines which word they can write with their marker. For instance, if a player rolls a 3, they look at the number three words on the list and write that word in the number three box.
- If a player lands on a word that’s already covered by their own marker, they can circle this word protecting their word from being bumped by the opponent.
- If a player rolls a number that has a square occupied by their opponent (and not circled), they can “bump” their opponent off the square and replace it with their own writing, claiming that word.
- The game continues with players taking turns rolling the die, writing the words, and circling them until all words on the grid are circled.
- The player with the most words circled by their marker at the end of the game wins.
Valentines Day Game
I hope you have fun playing this fun sight word game where you will practice the following sight words: the, was, one, does, said, of, would, from, they, there, again, your, some, water, who, what, could, are, come, friend, laugh, eye, people, because, before, should, together, busy, favorite, build, ocean, beautiful, island, world, answer, mountain
Sight Word Activities
- Free Printable Sight Words List, fun Sight word bingo free printable
- Sight Words Construction games for Kids, Crazy Roads Preschool Sight Words Game, Kindergarten Sight Word games,
- Cut & Paste Worksheets – pre primer sight word sentences, Penguin Sight Word Maze, Christmas Sight Words – Read & Dab Mats, Free Word Search Sight Word Worksheets
- Summer Free Sight Word Games, free Rocketship Sight Words, Chocolate Box Preschool Sight Words Activity, free Kindergarten Readers printable
- Monster free printable sight word worksheets, Reading the EASY Way – Pre School Reading Program, Farm Printable Sight Word Games
- Pumpkin Sight Words Game, Dinosaur Sight Words Activity, Blackout Sight Word Game, Free Sight Word BINGO, cute free sight word activities
- Battleship Sight word games, Summer Mazes – Sight Word Worksheets, Read! Trace! Write! – building sentences with sight words, Free Kindergarten Word Search with Sight Words
- Rapunzel Sight Word Coloring Pages, Arctic Animals Sight Words Game, Train Sightwordsgame
- Popcorn sight words printables, Apple Sight Words Tree Activity, Gingerbread Sight Word Coloring Sheets
- Color by Sight Word Spring Reader, Peacock Kindergarten Sight Words Activity, Flower Sight Word Maze Worksheets
- Ocean Sight Words Worksheet, Kindergarten Sight Words Christmas Activity, Candy Cane Sight Words Activity
- Free Printable Sight Words List, Bug Sight Word Games
Valentines Day Printables
- Valentines Day Activities for Kindergarten – “mail” upper and lowercase matching letters
- Cute Find the Letter Valentine’s Day Worksheets cookie jars, ABC Hole Punch Valentines activities for kindergarten, H is for Heart letter h worksheets
- ABC Valentine Worksheets for Preschool and kindergarten – letter alphabet book, Alphabet Valentine Preschool Worksheets – heart cookies, cute Valentine Roll and Cover Printable for preschoolers, and Valentines Alphabet game – letter heart puzzles
- Grab some converstion hearts with our free printable alphabet Valentines Day activities for preschoolers, counting to 20 Valentines Day Worksheets, or Valentines Day Math Activities -fractions/graphing/more, Free Snap Cubes Template cards for valenties day
- Lock and Key valentines activities for kids working on color recognition and Valentine matching game printable to work on number sense, Valentines Day Math word problems
- Count to 20 valentine math activities for preschoolers Clip Cards, Valentines Day Math Clip Cards numbers 11-20, chocolate shape Preschool valentine games, and Count to 10 Valentine math activities for preschoolers, Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities, and Valentines Day Math heart multiplication activity to practicing multiplying by 2s-12s with a self-checking activity for February
- Heart CVC Words Valentine activities for kindergarten and sight word Valentines Day Game
- Printable Valentines Day Counting Cards, free Valentines Day – Greather Than, and counting to 20 mail in this February activities for preschoolers
- Cactus valentine craft – free printable valentine activities for preschoolers to cut and paste
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day, I spy Valentine Worksheet, free Pencil Valentine Printable, Hugs and Kisses Tic-tac-toe Preschool Valentine, free Valentine coloring pages for preschool, printable Valentines Day Pre-Writing Worksheets
- Sunday school valentine crafts about the ten commandments and simple Valentines day coloring pages pdf
- Grab these super cute valentine’s day coupons for your spouds or kids!
- Our kids favorite tradition! Grab these FREE printable Valentine Hearts on Bedroom Door to leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
Valentines Day Activities
- Have a blast with this outrageously fun Oobleck valentines day activitiies for preschoolers or this red valentines day oobleck version
- Free Valentines Day Printables with Stem challenges using Lego bricks or straw Valentine STEM activities
- Shimmery pink Slime Valentines recipe, purple Slime Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers, or Red Hot Valentines Slime recipe for kids
- EASY baloon Science Valentines, Fizzy Love Potion Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Fun density jar Valentines Day Science Experiment (honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, hand soap, water, vegetable oil)or try this density valentines day science (corn syrup, whole milk, lavender dish soap, water, baby oil, rubbing alcohol)
- Quick and easy, February Fizzy Hearts Science Experiment, make salt crystal hearts Valentines Day Experiment, simple balloon static electricity experiments for kids
- Valentines Day Science with Magic Milk, Love Potion #9 Valentines Day activities for preschoolers, and Skittle Heart Science valentines day activities for toddlers
- 25 Epic Valentines Day Science Experiments for kids, Valentines Day Crafts for Kids, fun February Activities and 30 Fabulous February Crafts for kids of all ages
- Beautiful Matisse heart Valentines Art Projects, fingerprint heart tree Valentine art and craft ideas for preschoolers, bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft, and Valentine Cookie Bath for Kids
- Heart Sticker Valentine projects for toddlers, simple Valentines Day Countdown, heart Mobile Valentine’s day craft ideas, and simple Salt Painting Valentines Day activities for preschoolers with free templates
Free Sight Word Game
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.